Harleysboss Bullet Mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Forum member, and Good Friend of Mine Harleysboss sent me his Accurate Bullet Mold he had made for his .45 LRH so that i could pour up a Bunch and Test them. Both are nice looking bullets, Especially the Grease Groove :yeah: I am leaning farther and farther away from Paper Patch. I shoot a literal TON and just don’t see any advantages, WAY more negatives when compared to a Good Grease Groove design.

This is 80-85 Yards
5QOS66m.jpg

Both bullets weigh 350 Grains, here is the Paper Patch bullet
U3L96Mp.jpg

First 3 shots with Paper Patched and Hard Card OP Wad
on80QZD.jpg

I decided to shoot the Last 3 shots with a Wool OP Wad (Glad i did that!) Same Target
MA9RkSL.jpg

Here is the Grease Groove, AWESOME little bullet!! :yeah: My 40-1 Alloy Lubed and sized to .451.75-.452 They load good and snug from start to finish, these bullets dont break down halfway down the bore and become loose, they hold good n TIGHT! Interior groove vs Exterior, Interior Groove the Bearing surface in contact with the bore is the bullet itself, instead of just the bands like the Exterior, I’m sure there is a proper name for it?
T69YslW.jpg

Wool OP wad
Xp209AJ.jpg

Does your Flat base bullet sit flat when Paper Patched? If you Patch, twist a tail, and leave it under the bullet, Good luck to ya! Make them sit flat, the same way they exit the bore and they will perform best. Leave a twisted tail, Maybe the twisted tail is folded over to the right? To the left, up, down? That twisted tail is the last to exit the bore, possibly being pushed in the way the tail is folded? Do away with the twisted tail and I’ll bet your accuracy improves :yeah:

Idealy a Paper Patched Bullet should have a Cupped base, that way your twisted tail can be pushed into the Cupped base, leaving the Wad in contact with a perfect flat bullet base, making a perfect and repeatable exit time after time

Lew, nice looking bullet and I like that wide metplate. Plus it shoots almost as good as our Gould bullets. Grin

What Accurate Mold is it?

edmehlig said:
Lew, nice looking bullet and I like that wide metplate. Plus it shoots almost as good as our Gould bullets. Grin

What Accurate Mold is it?

Ed, This is definitely a good Little bullet! Right there with our Goulds :yeah: Since i had the mold i figured I’d pour up a few to play with at longer ranges, I have about 100 of the Grease Grooves here on the table :D I will likely test these to 300 yards, 200 for sure. Nothing wrong with his Paper Patch design either, It’s just that my Interest in Paper Patched bullets has quite drastically dwindled. I have some AWESOME Paper Patched loads, I understand them VERY well, and i know how to get the most out of them, But even my Absolute best PP loads will NOT outperform my Grease Grooves, Plain n Simple

That is some nice shooting. I'm jealous I sure wish I had some good bullets like that for my 54 TC greyhawk to shoot.

Rlsmith said:
That is some nice shooting. I'm jealous I sure wish I had some good bullets like that for my 54 TC greyhawk to shoot.

Rl, Hornady Plains is a readily available bullet, and shot good for me in my Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54 Cal 1:32 Twist, I don’t think i had a Good bullet mold for .54 Cal when i first got my Lyman GPH? Anyway, I remember trying some Factory Hornady Plains bullets and they did very well in the Rifle, They all weighed in identical to eachother :yeah:

On the Box it shows a Flat Nose, But They are a Hollow point bullet. These would put some SERIOUS Smack Down on anything you hit in .54 Cal :yeah:
8Y12ZZ2.jpg

Rl, Hornady Plains is a readily available bullet, and shot good for me in my Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54 Cal 1:32 Twist, I don’t think i had a Good bullet mold for .54 Cal when i first got my Lyman GPH? Anyway, I remember trying some Factory Hornady Plains bullets and they did very well in the Rifle, They all weighed in identical to eachother :yeah:

On the Box it shows a Flat Nose, But They are a Hollow point bullet. These would put some SERIOUS Smack Down on anything you hit in .54 Cal :yeah: Thanks Lewis I will try some of them.

While not necessary for deer hunting, can you imagine the devastation that 350gr bullet with the wide metaplate if it also had a Hollow Point would generate?

edmehlig said:
While not necessary for deer hunting, can you imagine the devastation that 350gr bullet with the wide metaplate if it also had a Hollow Point would generate?

The Rug “YANKER” :D It would be a Devastating bullet in a Hollow point version that’s for sure!

Back