Heading to my Muzzleloader building class

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Heading down to my muzzleloader building class in the morning.  The class is lead by Jim Parker of Parker Firearms.  I'll be building a circa 1760 - 1770 Pennsylvania Fowler in 20 ga.  This gun has a 46", octagon to round barrel.  This will be a first for me.  Should be lots of fun to shoot.  I'll post a pic or two when I return.

I put my Issac Haines muzzleloading project on hold until after this class. There were just too many questions for me on how to properly put it together and I wanted to do it right.  I should have a better handle on that after I get back.

Good for you Joe! Improving your skills and knowledge both of the history as well as the construction of the weapons and tools is a worthy endeavor. 

Doug

I'm jealous. I'd love to take a class like that. Hope you enjoy it!

That is terrific! IF there was a rifle building course around here, I would take it.
Ron

Ron

You might contact Jack Brooks there in Denver.......I think he used to do and may still do classes. I've known Jack since the 70's and he's a super nice guy and a top notch gun builder....very knowledgeable and is a real stickler when recreating a period gun.
http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/

Thanks, Doug!

Jack is, indeed, a good guy. He did some work on a flintlock pistol and a long rifle for me. His work is so good that people pay a real premium price for his rifles.

Ron

Ron

Growing up in Lakewood, one of my best friends (best friend while still in Colorado) was Scott Ladman, who's father was Rink Landman and owned "Denver Construction". Rink and sons were great gun enthusiast and family had bought for Rink, a custom long rifle from young Jack. That was perhaps the first fancy colonial long rifle I had ever see and handled. I had the opportunity to speak to Jack at Colorado Gun Collectors gun shows there in Denver. I was pretty much a starving pilgrim in the 70's when I got involved in fur trade and the rifles....so I never considered I could ever afford ne of Jack's guns. Still not able to "normally" afford one of his guns, but hope one day to purchase one of his long barreled Wilson trade guns.........my oldest son does a Stockbridge Mohican impression and I'd love to pass on and have in the family one of Jack's guns.

Well I finished my English Pennsylvania Fowler.  Great class, Jim Parker is a very knowledgeable person.  (Long drive to Alabama and back.)  He's located north of Birmingham.  I didn't realize how much I didn't know about putting together a traditional muzzy.  I am extremely happy I signed up for the class.  It took me 5 1/2 days, close to 60 hours with instructor help to build the rifle.  My inletting of the various parts took a lot of time trying to get the nice "wood to metal" fit.  Now I have to get the walnut stock sanded down to the final form, apply the finish, and the barrel, etc blued up.

Joe20-201_zps7fuuzsum.jpg

:Red tup: looks like its going to be a beautiful rifle Joe! I think the smile and the look of pride in your eyes tells the story of how proud you are of the rifle and your work!

You have every reason to be proud of that firearm. Excellent!
Ron

Nice fowler, Joe. Are you planning to blue the hardware and barrel or brown it?

The photo makes the 46" barrel look like 56". ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  Pato, I plan to blue the hardware and barrel.  I would like to make it bluish gray if I can achieve that.  I believe with the walnut stock it will look real nice.

Smokin' Joe said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  Pato, I plan to blue the hardware and barrel.  I would like to make it bluish gray if I can achieve that.  I believe with the walnut stock it will look real nice.
It might be hard to find a container long enough for a 'hot' blue. I read online where some used a 3"-4" diameter PVC pipe; others used a long piece of rain gutter to hold the boiling water.

Good luck with it and your original project.

First, beautiful... 
Second, my gosh, well done! 

Finally... how long is that monster fowler? 46" Really? 
It looks like you are gonna 'whack 'em' out of the sky!

The complete rifle is approximately 61 1/2" long.  I'm getting older now so I figure with that long barrel I don't have to sneak up as close to game animals as most other muzzy hunters.   :D

Joe that looks cool. Like others have said you should be proud. What caliber is it? Al

The fowler has a 20ga bore or 62 cal. if your shootin' round ball.  I'll be making a trip to Track of the Wolf soon because I don't have the makings for the fowler yet. Never had one before.

Latest posts

Back