Help me choose an in-line

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hard to argue against the encore, I have a few, very good guns, but I had some accuracy problems with one but I resolved it with a Bellm spring kit and a 2x hinge pin.back to driving tacks

I'll add to the Encore suggestion. I've had a bunch of muzzleloaders since I started playing with them 14 years ago. I got an Encore probably 8 years ago and have had several others since. A bunch have come and gone but I keep coming back to the Encore. I like the versatility of it. They're not perfect, as no gun is, but with bellm springs, a little polishing and clean up, and it's a far better shooter than I am. Currently I'm shooting a Pro Hunter frame with an ASG/MGM Brux smokeless barrel. I like that gun a lot, more than I've ever liked a gun. In fact I like it enough I'm currently in the market for a second frame so I can put another Encore together for my 11 year old to hunt with next year.

I have a SS/nitride wolf. I love it. The only one I've ever had. At 50 yards it's a tack driver. Such a blast to shoot

Hi guys, I’m in the process of choosing my first in-line muzzleloader. I’m wondering if I should pick up a new/used Wolf, Optima, Pursuit (Or any other newer gun you recommend) Or something older like a Knight Disk, MK85 etc. etc.

This will be strictly a deer hunting rifle. I am not a novelist so choosing a gun based on anything other than effectiveness, efficiency and convenience doesn’t interest me much. Looking forward to your advice!
I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold with their black crushed rib sabot. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

I have more Encores than brains being lazy I didn't like changing barrels so every time I bought a new barrel I bought a frame and stock Most now are safe queens I guess I should unload a lot of them at 81 not shooting or hunting that much any more. The secret of accuracy with Encores is quality barrels or the older Thompson barrels the new stuff from S&W is Junk. I got a newer SS frame with the swing hammer no where as good as the older Encores

Beginner or not it makes a big difference what you intend to do with it. If you are going to hunt sight in and do a bit of fun shooting then first check the state law to see if your ignition types are limited.
If not then the lower priced TC or CVA will do a good job for you at a decent price. If going into competition you will want a heavy high end gun.

The new TC Prohunter barrels made by S&W are far from Junk! I have a 28in 30/06 Prohunter barrel that will shoot 3 shots touching at 100yds all day long. I have shot 3 shots under a 1/2in at a 100yds with my 28in Prohunter 50cal muzzeloader barrel. I also have a 28in 35 Whelen barrel that will shoot under a inch consistently.

I also have several MGM custom barrels. My 308 is a 1 ragged hole shooter. But it’s the only MGM custom barrel I have that will out shoot my 30/06 Prohunter barrel. I have had better luck with the new S&W barrels then I have with the old TC barrels.

I have a pro hunter they shoot good but if i was to buy a new gun it would be a rem 700 ultimate

Seems all of the bases are covered. I like the new CVA Accura Plains Rifle. Very accurate.

I read great things on the Accura MR , hard to beat the price on a stainless nitride gun with the Bergara Barrel. If I wasn’t hung up on the ultra lite 45 I would buy one

Back