How far is to far for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a table for the Barnes 290 with Blackhorn. It doesn't say if it's 110 or 120 grains though.

Wind looks like the kicker.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 508
walleye said:
This is a table for the Barnes 290 with Blackhorn. It doesn't say if it's 110 or 120 grains though.

Wind looks like the kicker.

Wind does matter but, they can actually vary considerable from what the tables may indicate.

One of these is always in my pocket when I perceive a long shots: http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Crosswin ... wind+meter

One if these is ALWAYS with me, rather hunting with a bow or muzzleloader: http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-RX-1200i- ... angefinder

Grouse said:
Long range hunting doesn't impress me at all. Anyone can practice long range shooting and take game at long distances.

The guy who get close and continuously takes his game under 50 yards impresses me. Not everyone can do that.

It doesn't me unless he is still hunting and with a bow. Using a gun doesn't matter, besides hunting from tree stand not quite getting closer. Not one person would be telling truth if that at sometime they didn't wish they could have shot at buck 200 plus yds. :puke:

fivebull said:
Grouse said:
one person would be telling truth if that at sometime they didn't wish they could have shot at buck 200 plus yds. :puke:

Ive shot Deer at 405 yards with a ML. Shooting something 200yards would far from excite me. The closer the better excites me. It doesn't take any hunting skills to shoot game at long range.

Grouse said:
fivebull said:
Grouse said:
one person would be telling truth if that at sometime they didn't wish they could have shot at buck 200 plus yds. :puke:

Ive shot Deer at 405 yards with a ML. Shooting something 200yards would far from excite me. The closer the better excites me. It doesn't take any hunting skills to shoot game at long range.

Then use a sling shot for your close range shooting. ;)
My dad taught me to hunt squirrels with a rock but, he made me throw left handed, as I tore them up to much throwing right handed. :lol:
What may not excite you, excites another. I've shot deer at 8' (eight feet) with a muzzleloader. I didn't find it any more exciting and certainly not any more challenging, than shooting a deer at 200yds.

Encore,
I'm not sure what your point is at all. If you wanna shoot far shoot far. If you wanna shoot close shoot close. If you need someone to validate what your doing or how your doing it your asking the wrong person. Ask some of your hunting buddies if your doubting what your doing is right or wrong. I prefer close, but wont pass up far if I need to.

Grouse said:
Encore,
I'm not sure what your point is at all. If you wanna shoot far shoot far. If you wanna shoot close shoot close. If you need someone to validate what your doing or how your doing it your asking the wrong person. Ask some of your hunting buddies if your doubting what your doing is right or wrong. I prefer close, but wont pass up far if I need to.

It gets to this point on every single muzzleloader forum. A shooter asks a question, the replies start out ok, then turn into personal preferences.

"Is 258yards really to far?" No, not at all for those who practice and have confidence in making the shot.

Encore,
I answered his question, I believe the first or second post. My mind hasn't changed at all. I'm not sure why your quoting me?? Im obviously missing something.

Only paper targets shot at 258 yds in all conditions in all positions can answer this. And the person doing the shooting has to interpret that answer.

Results reflect abilities.

ENCORE50A said:
Grouse said:
Encore,

It gets to this point on every single muzzleloader forum. A shooter asks a question, the replies start out ok, then turn into personal preferences.

"Is 258yards really to far?" No, not at all for those who practice and have confidence in making the shot.

I really do not think I could totally agree with this answer. I think the answer needs to involve the equipment being used; rifle, powder, projectile, and other hardware being used by the shooter. Then consider the variations within those items listed. Then as you say practice at those extended ranges. Also I think it would be important to the shooter to know how much energy he might have at those ranges.

alaska viking said:
Well, if one is interested in long range shooting, why shoot a muzzleloader? Sort of defeats the idea, it seems.
Plenty of other options that will stretch anyone's ability. :think:

Exactly!

No but people on here tend to call sky green if you say it is blue, but as you said if you like shooting at distance fine if not fine but i don't want to hear that you are not impressed unless they are up close. All you need to say is i like to be close and leave it at that. I'm like Encore , some one on here might have different hunting area than you and want some advice on it.

besides what people call long range on here isn't. Nra matches it is called Mid Range and that includes cartridge and muzzle loader. This whole thread is like arguing smokeless or black

sabotloader said:
ENCORE50A said:
Grouse said:
Encore,

I really do not think I could totally agree with this answer. I think the answer needs to involve the equipment being used; rifle, powder, projectile, and other hardware being used by the shooter. Then consider the variations within those items listed. Then as you say practice at those extended ranges. Also I think it would be important to the shooter to know how much energy he might have at those ranges.

He mentioned all his equipment in his opening post and question. His equipment is certainly capable..... in the hands of a practiced confident shooter. Short of the current bullet the OP was using.

A barber that cut my hair and I became pretty good friends and it started out fishing walleye together. He taught me things, as he was more experienced on inland walleye fishing.
The hunting season was coming and I asked him if he was going to hunt with a muzz and if he wanted to, come over and shoot. He came over with a rifle that I can't remember the type of now. When I tried to get him to shoot at 100yds, I thought he'd have a stroke. He told me he'd never shot or wouldn't shoot a muzzleloader past 40yds. Well it took a little prodding, but I had him shooting off the bench at 100. What I do remember is, his equipment was about as low on the totem pole as one could get.
Next thing I know, he calls and wants to shoot his new "used" T/C Pro Hunter. He'd already shot mine and knew what he wanted as far as propellant and bullet/sabots. He came over and low and behold! Before he left he was shooting really good groups at 100. So around comes the muzz season and I invited him to hunt with me. I put him into a spot where the shot would most likely be around 70yds max. When the evening hunt was over, he told me he'd seen a really great buck that walked and stopped in the shooting lane. I asked him why he didn't take it. His reply was that he wasn't confident yet taking the shot. Good decision.
Long story shorter, before it was over, I had a guy that wouldn't shoot past 40yds, shooting MOA at 200yds. The following season, he took his first long range shot, approximately 190yds. After a very short tracking job, he had a nice fat doe on the ground.

What it takes is practice, lots of practice. He didn't have an ounce of confidence in his rifle or his shooting all his life. It just took someone to offer to help and get him to practice more. He had one rifle, shot practiced with that one rifle and ended up being a very proficient long range shooter/hunter. With the proper equipment, charge and bullet, learning when and when not to take the shot, the range that the OP questioned is not out of the question.

fivebull said:
No but people on here tend to call sky green if you say it is blue, but as you said if you like shooting at distance fine if not fine but i don't want to hear that you are not impressed unless they are up close. All you need to say is i like to be close and leave it at that. I'm like Encore , some one on here might have different hunting area than you and want some advice on it.

A bigger problem are posters like you. You have not answered the original posters question at all. But yet your complaining about my OPINION on hunting. Offer your opinion, and don't worry about someone else's opinion.

WV Hunter said:
MI_Bowhunter said:
Whether its to far or not comes down to a combination of your skill, equipment and experience with shooting that far.

I will not shoot that far because i do not have the ability to practice at that type of range. I know Its currently beyond my comfort zone for an ethical shot.

Agree 100%!

Too far?

For Grouse its 406 yds. :poke:

For Muley... 76 yds :poke:

:lol: :lol:

Lol, I don't set a limit. I'll improvise when I need to. :wink:

Sorry, I was off trying to get rid of a virus.

I see this went about like I expected.

Just a quick question for those who hunt those big fields. Are the deer there for all the hunting hours? Open areas are the last place to find game here once hunters are in the area.

Grouse said:
WV Hunter said:
MI_Bowhunter said:
Whether its to far or not comes down to a combination of your skill, equipment and experience with shooting that far.

I will not shoot that far because i do not have the ability to practice at that type of range. I know Its currently beyond my comfort zone for an ethical shot.

Agree 100%!

Too far?

For Grouse its 406 yds. :poke:

For Muley... 76 yds :poke:

:lol: :lol:

Lol, I don't set a limit. I'll improvise when I need to. :wink:

That doe made a mistake. If she was 1 yd farther, she woulda got a pass... :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

WVHunter,
That was a planned hunt in Ohio to test and see if the petals sheared at that far of a distance on a bloodline bullet. But I would improvise either way with that bullet anytime at that range. :yeah: :poke:

Latest posts

Back