How far is to far for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The idea that hunting in the midwest where there are large ag fields as to require long range shooting is a somewhat flawed premise. People successfully bow hunt these same areas. I think it is more of a mindset when using a centerfire or modern loaded muzzleloader. Hunter using any type of rifle like a maximum view, the idea being they think this maximizes their chances at game. If you ever observed rifle hunters who start bowhunting they attempt the same maximum view idea early in their hunting. The "how far is to far" question can never be answered.

Muley Hunter said:
Sorry, I was off trying to get rid of a virus.
I see this went about like I expected.
Just a quick question for those who hunt those big fields. Are the deer there for all the hunting hours? Open areas are the last place to find game here once hunters are in the area.

Good question. No the deer aren't there all hunting hours. Actually its sometimes hard hunting fields in the morning, as if they're out feeding, you run them off for the day. Afternoon and evening hunts are the best, short of the rut when they'll be running every place all day long. It can also depend on how harsh the winter may be too. It seems a whitetail is as good a weather forecaster as anyone on The Weather Channel. Heavy winter storms can cause them to move all day or much earlier in the evening. Our muzzleloading season starts the first Friday in December and depending on the weather, you never know when one will appear. Normally my morning hunts are wooded, afternoon evening hunts are over the fields.

admiral said:
The idea that hunting in the midwest where there are large ag fields as to require long range shooting is a somewhat flawed premise. People successfully bow hunt these same areas. I think it is more of a mindset when using a centerfire or modern loaded muzzleloader. Hunter using any type of rifle like a maximum view, the idea being they think this maximizes their chances at game. If you ever observed rifle hunters who start bowhunting they attempt the same maximum view idea early in their hunting. The "how far is to far" question can never be answered.

Bow hunters have the earliest of seasons and although there may be quite a few bow hunters, their numbers do not equal the firearm hunter numbers here. However, once undisturbed territory is disturbed by human presence, things change and change very quickly. Its a given that has never changed. More and more firearm hunters start opening up their camps very early, setting up game cameras all over tarnation and at the same time, putting down human sent in places its been void of for a year. Private property owners start flogging around on their properties, setting up firearm stands or opening up shoot'n coups and posting their properties. Deer recognize this immediately as danger, which will send most bucks completely nocturnal (short of the rut). It can also send does nocturnal.
So depending on the specific property and prevailing winds, some hunters can hunt woodlots entirely, where others may be restricted to setting and waiting for the feed. But, firearm hunters do like maximum views.

I've always hunted in the woods or in a field with the mindset of 'when in doubt - do without' - actually with life itself, I use this . Whether its shooting 60 yds between trees OR in an open field at 300yds. If I don't feel the confidence, I will not pull the trigger.
I think it's up to the individual and his capabilities with the weapon (any weapon).

just to throw my 2 cents into this discussion: I am about as east as you can get, 20 miles or so from Atlantic beach, grew up, and up till past 2 seasons hunting wooded areas. 100yds was farthest likely shot, 2 years ago a friend, neighbor, farmer offered me exclusive hunting on his 2 modest sized fields near my parents house, the only condition was that he wanted deer herd reduced by substantial amount.

Several years before I had given up on using shotgun, no centerfire rifles are legal for hunting in DE, been happy with my Traditions break action in woods, but now suddenly presented all most daily with deer from 150 yds on out. Been big learning curve, first with bullets, trajectories, now made move to much nicer rifle, optima w thumbhole, and nitrate, hoping to stretch from 150 to around 200 yds, plus my sons can start using the Traditions.

One of the bigger over looked factors I see in the whole equation is the condition of shooting platform, ie blind, I have built many, learned a lot, used some subpar ones. It doesn't matter what you can do on bench at range, if your shot comes and you can not closely duplicate shooting position in field.

Also found for added challenge, if interested, the optima pistol, lots of fun, and good reason to shot deer at 80yds or less rather than point, bang, done w rifle.

Grouse said:
fivebull said:
No but people on here tend to call sky green if you say it is blue, but as you said if you like shooting at distance fine if not fine but i don't want to hear that you are not impressed unless they are up close. All you need to say is i like to be close and leave it at that. I'm like Encore , some one on here might have different hunting area than you and want some advice on it.

A bigger problem are posters like you. You have not answered the original posters question at all. But yet your complaining about my OPINION on hunting. Offer your opinion, and don't worry about someone else's opinion.

I harvested deer for a local farmer who had crop damage. shot to many up close in bean field , not excited any more , 200 or farther I am , and have won to many matches for someone from Knight rifle to tell me , distance doesn't impress him , If you used a Knight bullet 403 yds. it didn't work that well , because it isn't heavy enough . Just about any more if I can see it , I can take it. But posts on ethics can be argued ill cows come home. I also know Gordy . The answer to the Mans post is hell no 258 is not to far

ENCORE50A said:
Bow hunters have the earliest of seasons and although there may be quite a few bow hunters, their numbers do not equal the firearm hunter numbers here. However, once undisturbed territory is disturbed by human presence, things change and change very quickly. Its a given that has never changed. More and more firearm hunters start opening up their camps very early, setting up game cameras all over tarnation and at the same time, putting down human sent in places its been void of for a year. Private property owners start flogging around on their properties, setting up firearm stands or opening up shoot'n coups and posting their properties. Deer recognize this immediately as danger, which will send most bucks completely nocturnal (short of the rut). It can also send does nocturnal.
So depending on the specific property and prevailing winds, some hunters can hunt woodlots entirely, where others may be restricted to setting and waiting for the feed. But, firearm hunters do like maximum views.

Give me a view over undisturbed property. Sanctuary. No scent ,no cameras, no scouting. I don't want to educate the big boy. I want him to feel safe. No girls will die either. I will watch and wait. Like I asked. How far is to far to shoot given the equipment I listed.

walleye said:
ENCORE50A said:

Give me a view over undisturbed property. Sanctuary. No scent ,no cameras, no scouting. I don't want to educate the big boy. I want him to feel safe. No girls will die either. I will watch and wait. Like I asked. How far is to far to shoot given the equipment I listed.

Assuming your equipment is top, charge of 120grs BH getting approximately 2,100fps and if using the Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullet, it retains enough energy remaining above 1,000fpe to 300yds. Barnes states that the bullet will open reliably at velocities down to 1,100fps and according to the ballistics data it should be approximately 1,275fps at 300yds. IMO with the equipment mentioned, you have the equipment to shoot to 300yds. All are estimations based on velocity achieved.

With a 150yd zero, its approximately 2" high at 100yds, -5" at 200yds, -14.5" at 250yds, -28" at 300yds.

Again......... all the above is approximate based on a muzzle velocity of 2,100fps.

So...The OP has received plenty of info on his question and Encore50A gave him a definitive answer. Anymore more personal jousting and the thread will be locked.

Thanks

I hunt big open basins in the mountains of Northern Utah. This past fall I shot my biggest buck to date with a shot at 191 (corrected for angle trajectory) yards. If I couldn't have shot that far, I never could have shot that deer. Nice 25" 4x4 muley with eye guards. That said, I had been practicing to 200 yards and would always prefer to keep it close. In Utah up through last year, we couldn't use magnifying scopes at all. I tried a 1x scope but found that the crosshairs covered too much target at 100 yards to shoot precisely. I went back to my Williams peep sight and fiber front sight. For me 200 yards is quite a poke with that set up.

This year, the DWR passed a law which allows us to use magnifying scopes. Could be really interesting to see how many guys really scope their rifles and also to see how many actually can shoot at any distance. I am actually looking to get a new rifle and already have the scope ready to roll so I can take advantage. That said, I shoot high powered rifles a lot out to 700 yards and have learned quickly how easy it is to be humbled at long range. I can only imagine that those situations would be magnified significantly with a slow heavy muzzleloader bullet at even much closer ranges. Should be fun.

FH

Latest posts

Back