Huntsman breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can go that high with most of the #60 o-rings, but I always changed mine after every range session, 30 - 50ish shots. Always used a new one for hunting.

I mostly use my Custom H&R .45 caliber Huntsman and my CVA Optima .50 caliber pistol for hunting. No o-ring required.

View attachment 7752 View attachment 7755 View attachment 7753 View attachment 7754
Busta tell us about the custom 45 Huntsman, very sharp - I never see the Huntsman barrels in 45 - I've thought about converting my 45-70 Ultra hunter to muzzle loader but keep thinking 45-70 single shots might make the primitive weapons list someday

Vent liners are a replaceable flash hole. Instead of replacing the whole breech plug when the flash hole erodes after a few hundred shots, you just screw in a new

Some of my custom 5/8" and 7/8" vent liner breech plugs. Note the flame channel in the overhead shot on the 7/8", and the vent liner flash hole.
View attachment 7734 View attachment 7736 View attachment 7733 View attachment 7732 View attachment 7735

These are the MU breech plugs. The original and the updated 5/8", and the 7/8".
View attachment 7731 View attachment 7739

Here is a 5/8" MU breech plug after firing 12 different primers, and 38 shots on the range. Note the o-ring, the direct dump ignition, and no blowback.
View attachment 7738

These are the 5/8" and 7/8" PR breech plugs.
View attachment 7730 View attachment 7729
Vent liners are a replaceable flash hole. Instead of replacing the whole breech plug when the flash hole erodes after a few hundred shots, you just screw in a new one.

Some of my custom 5/8" and 7/8" vent liner breech plugs. Note the flame channel in the overhead shot on the 7/8", and the vent liner flash hole.
View attachment 7734 View attachment 7736 View attachment 7733 View attachment 7732 View attachment 7735

These are the MU breech plugs. The original and the updated 5/8", and the 7/8".
View attachment 7731 View attachment 7739

Here is a 5/8" MU breech plug after firing 12 different primers, and 38 shots on the range. Note the o-ring, the direct dump ignition, and no blowback.
View attachment 7738

These are the 5/8" and 7/8" PR breech plugs.
View attachment 7730 View attachment 7729

Busta tell us about the custom 45 Huntsman, very sharp - I never see the Huntsman barrels in 45 - I've thought about converting my 45-70 Ultra hunter to muzzle loader but keep thinking 45-70 single shots might make the primitive weapons list someday

ScumBucket waterstamped and blurred all my pics, trying to get me to pay a ransom. I stole them all back a while ago, so I can post some later this evening if you want to see any specific ones.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/slufoot-stainless-super-smoker-45.19935/#post-148992

I've also added one or two since I posted the inventory a free posts down in that thread.

That is sweet. I'm getting the urge to modify mine. I bought it brand new while you could still get them. I have a super nice custom laminate forend just needs the ram rod hole added. I would like to see some more pics when you have time. Thanks

what’s your recommendation for a reliable inexpensive scope for the .50 Sidekick for within 200 yard range.

That is sweet. I'm getting the urge to modify mine. I bought it brand new while you could still get them. I have a super nice custom laminate forend just needs the ram rod hole added. I would like to see some more pics when you have time. Thanks

Some pics in no particular order.023 (3).jpg 022 (3).jpg 027 (1).jpg 032 (1).jpg 028 (2).jpg 035.jpg 034.jpg 037.jpg 015 (3).jpg 036 (1).jpg

Did you have to send this barrel out to get machines for a breech plug? Are you shooting smokeless powder through it?

Yes. At the time, Slufoot was one of the few that was doing the H&R .45-70 conversions, and using the front sealing Savage breech plug. He no longer does the conversions.

There are other better choices today, using Luke's or Hank's rear sealing 209 or LRMP module breech plugs. Just need to find someone to do the work. Bestill would be a good one, but you would want to contact him now in the off season, as he hunts in the fall.

Mine is a Super Smoker, and unless Slufoot proofed some smokeless loads in it, it has never had smokeless in the pipe. It had never even fired a .45-70 round through it before the conversion.

1# 12oz factory trigger that breaks like glass. Love me some H&R/NEF tip-ups, warts and all!

083.jpg 087.jpg Huntsman2.jpg 026 (1).jpg Huntsman1.jpg 040.jpg 018 (4).jpg 008 (10).jpg 021 (4).jpg TCUniversalPowerRod7980.jpg

Last edited:
Got my Precision Rifle breech plug on Saturday. Didn't have time to do any real in depth shooting over the weekend. Only had time to really dial it in yet. However, it functioned great. The only down side I see is handling primers in the field and popping out the spent primer.

I also made a breech plug tool so I didnt always have to have my ratchet and socket with me.

So is there ANY place else to get a 7/8" plug for the NEF except for PR? Dad would like to switch his plug to carrierless.

PR seems to be a little on the high $ side for a plug without a bushing or vent liners.

I have an NEF with the 5/8" plug and just ordered a backup for mine from MU and it is $40 including shipping. They are still out of the 7/8" and "don't know when we will get more in".

So is there ANY place else to get a 7/8" plug for the NEF except for PR? Dad would like to switch his plug to carrierless.

PR seems to be a little on the high $ side for a plug without a bushing or vent liners.

I have an NEF with the 5/8" plug and just ordered a backup for mine from MU and it is $40 including shipping. They are still out of the 7/8" and "don't know when we will get more in".
Any competent machinist can copy a breech plug, and make the adaptations to it. Might be more than just buying it though, unless you have a friend who does it and would like the challenge :) Of course, if they aren't available right now, that might be your only option.

Any competent machinist can copy a breech plug, and make the adaptations to it. Might be more than just buying it though, unless you have a friend who does it and would like the challenge :) Of course, if they aren't available right now, that might be your only option.

Our machinist closed shop in town around 20 years ago. 😕

Anybody got a primer pocket diameter from their MU plug?

Just got my new one and the o-ring falls back out of it. Winchester primer is pretty loose as far as lateral movement is concerned. New plug's primer pocket is about 0.02" larger than my original MU plug.

Plan to shoot it today to see what happens.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back