I'm thinking about going traditional again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Pete I was asked to go into the office. Different deal where Im at. And I do make more in the office than I ever did driving. I dont rag on the drivers. We have some really good ones but there is always those few that are drivers that require alot more maintenance than the others. You can say whatever you want about guys who go into the office doesnt bother me. Been there 32 years and most of the drivers come to me when there is issues. I respect all of them even the ones that require more maintenance.

OldMtnMan said:
You do know i'm a retired truck driver? You'll never pass me.
I drove for JB Hunt back in the '80's everyone passed me.

Boy I just Love looking over the Trucks now. Tell my wife I sure would like to still be doing that. She always says you're too old.  :roll: :twisted: :x

oneshot

I drove a city bus in Chicago in the '60s. If I never see another bus or that kind of traffic, I'll be happy.

I always take the back roads when I'm on a trip now, the interstate hiways keep me tense the whole time .. mainly because of the #$@%! trucks.

Cmon Al. First you say:

"That could be possible after 40 plus years around a bunch whinny cry baby truck drivers"

Then you say;

I don't rag on truck drivers"

Not sure what you made in the office. I worked for Oilfield Trucking in LA driving tankers. We made $1000-$1200 a week. That was a lot hours, but that's what we made.

I left there and drove for a small contractor. He bought me a new Peterbuilt and Hanson end dump trailer. Also a lowbed. I hauled heavy equipment on lowbed and demo in the end dump. He paid me $28 hr. I worked about 50 hours a week. I did that for 20 years.

That job was the best ever. He gave me a month off every year to come to Colorado to hunt. I'd still be doing it if I didn't lose the sight in my right eye. That forced me to retire early.

For 6 years I drove between CO, WY, UT and NM doing maintenance on 91 building sites, taking care of security issues, and anything from plumbing, electrical to heating and air conditioning. Worked with OSHA and other safety firms for those buildings along with remodels, new construction, additions. I was told by the company I was the highest paid mechanic because of the time spent behind the wheel getting double time on Fri. and Sat. usually working 55-60 a week. Always drove a Ford F450 4X4 van and usually about 4,000 to 5,000 over weight (wind played hell with you in the winter month). We were certified first aid and were told to help anyone we saw in our travels, stop and provide help. The semi truck drivers from the south were always in trouble during winter months in CO, WY, UT and NM. Man talk about the roll overs, would stop and get them loaded up and take the drivers to the next town for help. Those guys would cuse the dispatchers, the state, the roads, their company, you name it, unhappy campers. If one out of a dozen thanked you for helping them, that would be normal. Finally had to change jobs within the company after a roll over with a broken back. We all have good and bad experiences driving over the road, if asked would I do it again, hell yes.

I wouldn't. I drove for 3 years from LA to New York. Produce to back east and freight coming back. I hated it.

With the tanker and end dump jobs I was home every night and weekends. The end dump job was perfect. My name was on the door. I took the truck home at night. I'd take it to the Peterbuilt for service. Everybody thought it was my truck. It was like being an owner-operator without the expence of being one.

I got to learn how to run all the heavy equipment too. I'd always load my own truck, do grading etc. He made a ton of money and paid me way more than most drivers were making. He bought me a new truck every 5 years. Construction was booming then and everybody made good money.

Gentlemen...... "I'm thinking about going traditional again."........

OldMtnMan said:
I wouldn't. I drove for 3 years from LA to New York. Produce to back east and freight coming back. I hated it.

With the tanker and end dump jobs I was home every night and weekends. The end dump job was perfect. My name was on the door. I took the truck home at night. I'd take it to the Peterbuilt for service. Everybody thought it was my truck. It was like being an owner-operator without the expence of being one.

I got to learn how to run all the heavy equipment too. I'd always load my own truck, do grading etc. He made a ton of money and paid me way more than most drivers were making. He bought me a new truck every 5 years. Construction was booming then and everybody made good money.
I liked driving the end dumps, like you I was home early every night (except a few out of town) then it was motel and dinner paid for.
Also drove flat bed bed local, two runs a day and off by 5pm.

That rifle will be better than those modern things.  Those things are accurate.  Barrels on most imported rifles are about as accurate as the ones from most American barrel makers.  I know I've always been impressed with them.

I drove every where and was home couple days every couple months, so no family life.

I drove Cabover, don't see many anymore. Didn't have no Cell Phone or GPS, which would have been nice.

Got a 54Cal. Sidelock I like with patch and Ball. Killed many Deer.

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
I drove every where and was home couple days every couple months, so no family life.

I drove Cabover, don't see many anymore. Didn't have no Cell Phone or GPS, which would have been nice.

Got a 54Cal. Sidelock I like with patch and Ball. Killed many Deer.

oneshot
 All we had was the CB radio to find our way around.

Us too Pete.  Then they finally got us a company unit installed (like a CB - but connected to phone company and Highway Patrols wave links), between the two we had good communications. Plus a big  bonus, we knew where the speed traps were set up saving us tickets for speeding.  :Red tup:

My stepson drives trucks but I could never do it.  For one thing, in fact the major thing, is that I have no sense of direction; inherited from my lovable, ditsy mother, deceased for some two years.  Send me anywhere LOCAL and I WILL get lost.  I get lost in doctors offices and dental offices.  It's called "Defective Spacial Perception"; plus I'm just weird.

Hanshi said:
My stepson drives trucks but I could never do it.  For one thing, in fact the major thing, is that I have no sense of direction; inherited from my lovable, ditsy mother, deceased for some two years.  Send me anywhere LOCAL and I WILL get lost.  I get lost in doctors offices and dental offices.  It's called "Defective Spacial Perception"; plus I'm just weird.
How do you hunt?

Hanshi said:
 I have no sense of direction; inherited from my lovable, ditsy mother, deceased for some two years.  Send me anywhere LOCAL and I WILL get lost.  I get lost in doctors offices and dental offices.  It's called "Defective Spacial Perception"; plus I'm just weird.
I belonged to a hunt club in south Georgia for a couple of years. One guy named Walt was the city manager for a city of 75,000 people. Everywhere I went, there were pink or orange ribbons hanging. I found a string of them leading down a power line right of way cut so I took them all down. When I got back to camp, I told the guys there about what I did. They said, "Oh crap! Now we'll have to go out searching for Walt, he'll never find his way back without the ribbons." 

They told me that a guide in Mississippi put Walt in a stand about 20 yards from the dirt road. He got down to take a piss and couldn't find his way back to the stand or the road. He must have had "Hanshi syndrome."

OldMntMan, I'm not physically able to walk very far from my vehicle.  It's a very good day when I can walk my dog around the block.  This eliminates any real scouting I can do and, of course, dragging anything out.  I used to hunt a fair amount in elevated stands, preferably ladder stands. but still from ground blinds, too.  Not safe for me to do any longer; so I do all hunting from the ground, usually from a canvas folding chair.  SWMBO makes me hunt only with a partner.  Now, I'm very healthy, it's just that the old "superstructure" is damaged and shaky.  Oh, and I can't drive except fairly short distances locally which limits where/how far I can go to shoot/hunt.  Severe nerve and joint damage seems to affect most everything.  But I still go out.  :Red tup:

patocazador said:
Hanshi said:
 I have no sense of direction; inherited from my lovable, ditsy mother, deceased for some two years.  Send me anywhere LOCAL and I WILL get lost.  I get lost in doctors offices and dental offices.  It's called "Defective Spacial Perception"; plus I'm just weird.
I belonged to a hunt club in south Georgia for a couple of years. One guy named Walt was the city manager for a city of 75,000 people. Everywhere I went, there were pink or orange ribbons hanging. I found a string of them leading down a power line right of way cut so I took them all down. When I got back to camp, I told the guys there about what I did. They said, "Oh crap! Now we'll have to go out searching for Walt, he'll never find his way back without the ribbons." 

They told me that a guide in Mississippi put Walt in a stand about 20 yards from the dirt road. He got down to take a piss and couldn't find his way back to the stand or the road. He must have had "Hanshi syndrome."

:lol!:  Okay now, that sounds a lot like your's truly.

OldMtnMan said:
Hanshi said:
How do you hunt?
In circles .... always returns to the starting point.   :slaps:

Buck Conner said:
How do you hunt?
In circles .... always returns to the starting point.   :slaps:

Reminds me of a T.S. Elliot quote: "We shall never cease from exploration; and at the end of our exploring, we shall arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time"

I think I got it more or less accurately.  :Questuon:

Latest posts

Back