I'm thinking about going traditional again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anymore I use GPS to get around Hunting or Driving. I tend to get lost.

I use 100gr. of powder in my 54Cal.

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
Anymore I use GPS to get around Hunting or Driving. I tend to get lost.
oneshot
A GPS is great for finding your stand before daylight. I have a spot where I hunt that is 1 1/8 miles from the end of a dim road through a swamp. The GPS gets me close enough to see the bright eye next to the tree my stand is in.

Another help is a pin-on floating ball compass. You can get the vector from your GPS and then just refer to the compass heading until you get within 100 yards or so. It is also good to use when you shoot a deer and it runs off a ways. The compass gives a general heading so you don't get down and wander around because everything looks different on the ground from how it looked 20' up.

I'm not exactly a luddite but deep down do not trust technology.  A GPS would confuse me, anyway.  I usually find my stand(s) by <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a>.  simply being familiar with the route.  <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a>.  leaving a white tape (or paper) trail on the bushes.  <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a>.  By smell.  I don't use any type of "attractant", but still occasionally use some kind of cover scent.  The best ever was a thing called "Skunk Screen".  It consisted of two plastic squeeze bottles filled with two kinds of liquid with absolutely NO smell.  And you never, ever wanted to get the bottle caps mixed up; fortunately they were different colors.  You simply squeezed a drop or two of <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> on a cotton ball.  Then you carefully squeezed a drop or two of bottle <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a>.  Then, BETTER JUMP BACK!  I usually put a couple of cotton balls downwind of my stand; never, never, never upwind!  It was the odor of a fresh killed skunk, was persistent for weeks and you could follow it even with a head cold.  I would follow the smell in pitch darkness and when I got near the stand - usually a ground stand - there was NO mistaking it.

Don't know if it is even still produced; a real shame if it isn't.  But I haven't seen it for sale in any LGS in decades.

I have most of the 2 bottles of that skunk stuff left and one of the bottles does have some hint of skunk to it. The bag it's in slightly stinks. If you want it, I'll send it to you. 
I haven't used it in 20 years or more.

First post on this forum. I post on most other forums as "ratshooter" and so some may recognize that name.

If the OP is looking at Traditions rifles I say go for it. I have owned several in the past and all were good shooters. Maybe not the most accurate as far as traditional guns go but not bad. The last Traditions I have left is a Springfield Hawken I bought as a kit from Bass Pro over 20 years ago for a whopping $105. The finished rifle was around $130 back then. I see they are still sold per the link to muzzleloaders.com but now the finished rifle is $299.

Even though these rifles are not the most historically accurate they shoot very well. And they have extremely smooth barrels. The Springfield Hawken I have also has radius cut rifling. It just flat shoots and groups.

And I used to drive trucks. I delivered finished machine parts for my dad. But I don't refer to myself as a "Truck Driver". :cheers:

Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading, burlesontom.  :thumbs up:

Thanks Hanshi. I love the gun forums and am on thehighroad, thefiringline and marlinowners. And sometimes perfectunion but not much in a long while.

I am on one of my BP rifle kicks. I just used the Investarms date code in the other thread and the Cabelas 45 Hawken I built from a kit many years ago dates to 1994. That was my second rifle. The first was bought about a year before that so I have been shooting black powder for 24-25 years. Wow, I didn't realize that till just now.

I almost gave up on BP because I just couldn't hit anything with my rifle. (Cabelas .54 Hawken) Then I bought a Sam Fadala black Powder book and figured out the thin .010 patches I was using were too thin. I changed the patching to .018 striped pillow ticking and I was off to the races and never looked back. What a fun way to shoot guns. I am considering buying a better rifle like one from TVM. I just can't decide what I want. I do like the Hawken style rifle they offer. So I will give it some thought. But the rifles I own now all shoot as well as I can hold. I have killed one deer and a cow elk with my rifles and have no doubts that they can get the job done.

I also have my eye on a Pedersoli Scout Carbine in .45 caliber. I really like .45 caliber rifles. They are just a good balance of power and not too much lead being lost while target shooting. I shoot round balls and a Lee 200gr REAL bullet. That bullet should kill any deer that walks within reasonable range.

burlesontom said:
I am considering buying a better rifle like one from TVM. I just can't decide what I want. I do like the Hawken style rifle they offer. So I will give it some thought.
Welcome,
I to am considering a build kit from TVM, but also from these guys.
I like their choices in Hawken style and the barrel choices, also they will do some of the work on the rifle 
that I may not be comfortable doing.

Petaconica River Long Rifles

Hylander I have heard of Petaconica for many years. I looked at the link but they don't seem to offer fully finished rifles and I am not up for a build. I am about to get into my busy season. I am an insurance adjuster and storm season is coming. I check houses and businesses for damage from wind and hail. I have had this job for the last 18 years and hope this storm season is my last.

Maybe after retiring I will build another gun. A real traditional historically accurate gun. But not right now.

burlesontom said:
Welcome, you'll enjoy yourself here.

The first was bought about a year before that so I have been shooting black powder for 24-25 years. Wow, I didn't realize that till just now........ Time flys, many here has realized this when talking about their guns.  

I almost gave up on BP because I just couldn't hit anything with my rifle. (Cabelas .54 Hawken) Then I bought a Sam Fadala black Powder book and figured out the thin .010 patches I was using were too thin....... Sam was a good friend, think of him often. 

I am considering buying a better rifle like one from TVM. I just can't decide what I want. I do like the Hawken style rifle they offer........ .......Take a look at Green River Rifle Works Collector Association [GRRW.CA], the gunsmiths are the same guys that built GRRW guns 40 years ago. Seen at: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm

I really like .45 caliber rifles...... Like just mentioned we can build anything you have in mind at: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm 

Take care, Buck

Buck you speak as if Sam has left us. I certainly hope not. I did a google search but could find nothing of his demise. Do you know something I don't?

burlesontom said:
Buck you speak as if Sam has left us. I certainly hope not. I did a google search but could find nothing of his demise. Do you know something I don't?
He's still kicking, we just moved around and lost contact in our later years like so many.

Burlesontom, I have more than one TVM and they are excellent.  My favorite caliber is .45 and shooting prb.  I've killed a whole bunch of deer with that .45; killed a lot with several other rifles but the .45 remains my pick.  The .45 is a TVM late Lancaster style flintlock.  At TVM you can choose the stock wood and the dimensions of the final stock.  Also your choice of barrel, lock, etc.

My go-to .45.
PICT0384_1.jpg

Another .45.  This one was built by Mike Lange, a very talented guy.  Unfortunately, he is no longer building guns, at least temporarily.  This is one of his "rugrat" rifles taylored for youngsters.  I'm small enough that it fits me perfectly. 

PICT0689_zps77b16500.jpg

Buck thats good that ole' Sam is still with us. He is a man I would like to meet and shake his hand and say thanks for teaching me to shoot my BP rifle.

Hanshi those are really nice rifles but you need to stop it. I can resist anything but temptation and you are surely tempting me. :(

I am considering listing about 3 different guns I don't shoot on Gunbroker just to get a little cash to buy a new BP rifle.

I have an order of potasium nitrate on its way so I can try my hand at making black powder. I am really enthused about shooting some BP rifles again. Its been a long time.

And I have spent a couple of hours or better on the TVM website the last couple of days looking at their rifles. I even talked to Jack Garner on the phone many years ago about one of his rifles.

I also enjoyed the BP books by Sam Fadala!

There's a Sam N Fadala Sr living in Wyoming, and a Sam N Fadala (no Sr or Jr listed) living in Arizona.  Sure hope he's doing well and that one of his friends sees this thread, and passes along the well wishes.

As for going Traditional again... Good for you!

Old No7

Hanshi this is the gun I am looking at the hardest. I have wanted one of these for many years. Way back when they sold for $500. I should have bought one then. Not as traditional as a TVM rifle but the right caliber, weight and length. Should make an excellent hunting rifle for the smaller whitetail deer we have here in Tx.

Well dern it. Since I am a new member I cannot post a link for 7 days. But the gun is a Pedersoli .45 caliber scout carbine. Full stock 28" barrel with double set triggers and a 1/48 twist. No patch box which is OK by me and a slide adjustable rear sight elevator. A plain, simple rifle that is just a tool.

It now sells for $750 shipped from Dixie Gun Works

Old No. 7 The OP is the one going traditional again. That was Muznut. (where is he anyway?) I have always shot side locks and one flinter. I have no interest at all in an inline gun. They just don't do it for me. I sort of blame the inline guns for wrecking the traditional market. All those new shooters who wanted to hunt early or late BP seasons bought inlines because it was "easier". And once the challenge was removed it became boring. Thankfully there were those who stayed with the "real" BP style of rifles.

If I have to get closer to make a kill then thats OK. Its what hunting is all about. Some like to brag about the long shot they made to kill and animal. They never say much about the long range misses and wounded animals. I like to get close. Thats what I brag about. Beating a high strung deer at his own game of hide and seek. And I don't hunt feeders. I stalk or watch trails and rubs. I never hunt the same spot twice in the same week.

burlesontom said:
I am considering listing about 3 different guns I don't shoot on Gunbroker just to get a little cash to buy a new BP rifle.

...... TVM website the last couple of days looking at their rifles (now owned by Jack's son-in-law). 

I even talked to Jack Garner on the phone many years ago about one of his rifles.
I had dozens of Ron Long locks (flint and percussion), Siler kits, same with Douglas & Green Mountain barrels and many pre-carved stocks. All purchased from muzzleloading dealers I bought out in our area in CO, WY, NM. Saw Jack at a rendezvous at deChartre in IL told him about the inventory, he followed us home to Colorado. I traded everything that wasn't moving for assembled guns in the "white". That lead to taking Jack and Freddie Harrison (his wood guy) on their first buffalo. Which ended up with all of us going on several hunts over the years and meeting many of their friends that tagged along. Fun times ....

Latest posts

Back