I'm thinking about going traditional again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
burlesontom said:
Hanshi this is the gun I am looking at the hardest. I have wanted one of these for many years. Way back when they sold for $500. I should have bought one then. Not as traditional as a TVM rifle but the right caliber, weight and length. Should make an excellent hunting rifle for the smaller whitetail deer we have here in Tx.

Well dern it. Since I am a new member I cannot post a link for 7 days. But the gun is a Pedersoli .45 caliber scout carbine. Full stock 28" barrel with double set triggers and a 1/48 twist. No patch box which is OK by me and a slide adjustable rear sight elevator. A plain, simple rifle that is just a tool.

It now sells for $750 shipped from Dixie Gun Works

Actually, that Pedersoli rifle is a very decent choice.  I owned and hunted with their "Super Cub" .50 for many years and it accounted for deer with the flint lock AND percussion installed - I had both locks for it.  It's the same rifle as the Scout but has a patchbox.  Very accurate, sweet handling and easy to carry.

Sorry about my tempting you so much, actually I'm not the least bit sorry.  :Mischief: :scratch: :cools:   :twisted: <dl class="codebox hidecode"><dt style="border: none;"></dt><dd></dd></dl>
I ended up selling most all my modern guns just to get muzzleloaders; one never has enough of them.  The Cub is the middle gun.  Don't know why the blasted computer insisted on putting the little caplock on the message, aaaarrrggh...
PICT0391_1.jpg

PICT0689_zps77b16500.jpg

Sorry about my tempting you so much, actually I'm not the least bit sorry.  
2675902301.gif

icon_scratch.png

3522460849.gif

icon_twisted.gif

I strongly suspected you weren't. :No: 

Right now Dixie has a Cub 40 caliber for $475 IIRC. Boy howdy I am tempted. Especially since I cast .395 round balls to make 3 ball loads in my .410 shotguns. But I guess I will hold out for a .45 and just pay the extra bux for one.

My long dead bud had a cub 40 cal for his wife to shoot. His son got it when he passed away but I got his cannon with a 2" bore. :bounce:

You can't beat a .45, my friend.  I've owned more in that caliber than any others.

I have owned around 5-6 45s so far. my current gun is a Cabelas Hawken I bought as a kit back in the 1990s for $129 delivered to my door. It has the prettiest wood stock on it. It looks like brown and gold bands deep in the wood. And man will that gun shoot. I shoot PRB and also Lee R.E.A.L. 200gr conical. Those also shoot well but after 50 yards they hit just a little lower.

My bud was so impressed with the wood on my gun he ordered one for himself. His wood looks similar to Sitka Spruce used to make home made aircraft because it is so straight grained and plain looking. But his gun shoots as good as mine. Its just ugly.

Latest posts

Back