Improving accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Most of you have heard my say I dont need better than 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards because I can only shoot deer out to 120 yards. Well, the conditions of the hunt may have changed. I may have shots out to 175 yards so I do want to improve my group.

Heres what Im shooting.
CVA Wolf
plug for loose powder
Konus 3-9 scope
T7 loose powder
305 grain GT Bullet in a MMP green sabot.

I spit patch between each shot.

Ive tried from 70-100 grains of powder in 10 grain increments and all seem to shoot about the same group and even to the same point of impact.

What would I try to get better groups. Do I add a wad??? add cornmeal???

Are there methods to "accurizing this rifle".

Last edited:
I would first, weigh all my bullets and get them as close to the same weight as possible. Weigh all powder charges and use the next oversize Felt Wad of your bore. e.g. for a 45 cal ML use a 50cal Felt wad. When I use a volume measure to measure my powder, I could be anywhere from 2-3 grains off each charge from what I had the scale set for.

Lastly, like what was mentioned above Practice shooting at those distances as well as seeing where your bullets at the various ranges between and then past that information onto your stock. You may be amazed as to how far your bullet drops.

Most of you have heard my say I dont need better than 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards because I can only shoot deer out to 120 yards. Well, the conditions of the hunt may have changed. I may have shots out to 175 yards so I do want to improve my group.

Heres what Im shooting.
CVA Wolf
plug for loose powder
Konus 3-9 scope
T7 loose powder
305 grain GT Bullet in a MMP green sabot.

I spit patch between each shot.

Ive tried from 70-100 grains of powder in 10 grain increments and all seem to shoot about the same group and even to the same point of impact.

What would I try to get better groups. Do I add a wad??? add cornmeal???

Are there methods to "accurizing this rifle".

I'll suggest this...…………. practice more.

The following intent is constructive...…….

In the past...........You've accepted the fact in the past that 2.5" at 100yds is/was good enough, mentally, never striving for continuous improvement. All this time, you've mentally convinced yourself of something, now you have to work (change) that mentality. Consider that the 2.5" group at 100yds relates to a 5" group at 200yds. I'd suggest a lot more trigger time and you'll get there without changing anything.

Wads, cornmeal, or the such, is not going to help improve your accuracy any more than the accuracy you have now. It'll only add additional unneeded processes.
You'll never accurize a rifle without changing the mentality of the shooter. Shoot more often to build your confidence and the only way you'll build your confidence is to practice.

I shoot that with peep sights and have old eyes. Try a different load. I know BH209 is expensive but it works in these CVA's. I shoot 77 weighed grains of 209, a 300gr Deep curl by Speer, in a black Harvester crush rib sabot. Win 209 primer. No swabbing after every shot. I do clean my BP about every 10 shots.

I shoot several hundred times a year. Been reloading and shooting for 35 years. Cartridge rifle. I know how to shoot.

………….……………….. Ive tried from 70-100 grains of powder in 10 grain increments and all seem to shoot about the same group and even to the same point of impact...….

It appears that you're possibly getting the best from the rifle, as its setup. If you're changing up 30grs and maintaining the same group size and POI, the rifle is doing what it should.
You could change to an increase in power for your scope. Its not necessary and over powering doesn't help.
You could change propellants, or change propellants and sabot/bullet combinations.

Have you shot the rifle to 200yds yet? It may surprise you.

I agree with dragonfly-Try different projectiles. All my CVAs like 250GR Hornady SST or Barnes 250GR TEZ with 100Gr powder. You may also want to look into polishing your bore with JB polishing compound if an initial break in has not already been done.

I began using 209 BH propellant and it was the best change I made to improve my accuracy. Swabbing between shots isn't required. Any bullet/sabot combination I tried does better than using BH209. For me 80-90gr works best because recoil increased too much with higher charges. I found the Hornad180- 250 gr SST style setups groups the best. Good luck!

I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer and to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion. I am sure you could get similar results in your Wolf.

1. I think I will start by weighing all the bullets. See if there is a problem there.
2. I will weigh the powder charges also.
3. Start at 70 grains and increase in 5 grain increments.
4. try each increment in powder with and without a wad
5. Take my best group of these and shoot at 200 yards.

Lacking success I have some .452 caliber 385 grain bullets to try.
repeat the above with that bullet.

sdporter has me on a list for some bullets also

Also have some Pyrodex to try

Yep, lots of range time.

Thank you all.

I just did a quick sample of bullets
10 at 300 grains
10 at 301 grains
2 at 302 grains

Is one grain going to make a difference?????

1. I think I will start by weighing all the bullets. See if there is a problem there.
2. I will weigh the powder charges also.
3. Start at 70 grains and increase in 5 grain increments.
4. try each increment in powder with and without a wad
5. Take my best group of these and shoot at 200 yards.

Lacking success I have some .452 caliber 385 grain bullets to try.
repeat the above with that bullet.

sdporter has me on a list for some bullets also

Also have some Pyrodex to try

Yep, lots of range time.

Thank you all.

Just checking.. you know/understand that 70 grains by weight is not the same as 70 grains by volume - correct?

While I don't own a CVA. Every rifle I have will shoot a 250 or 300 grain XTP with acceptable accuracy. Inlines and side hammer rifles combined. A few of them shoot those amazingly well.

My opinion is that most CVA in-lines of current manufacture like the 209 powder over all others. I'd skip the t7 and the Pyrodex entirely and get the 209. You may not like the price of 209 powder but as long as you're scrimping on getting and using the best powder you'll be having to settle for so-so groups. The Wolfs, Optimas and Accuras are very accurate shooters with a very wide range of bullet weights and the only thing I see as the hang-up in not seeing 1" groups at 100 yards is your powder choice since you say you shoot a lot and know how to shoot.

I have a wolf. I tried a lot of different bullets and the best shooting with a 1 inch group at 100 yards is the Hornady monoflex in a Hornady black sabot with 71 grains (weighed) of 777 ffg. The 2nd best was the Barnes xpb 460 s&w 275 grain with the same powder charge. Just a couple you might want to try.

I'll suggest this...…………. practice more.

The following intent is constructive...…….

In the past...........You've accepted the fact in the past that 2.5" at 100yds is/was good enough, mentally, never striving for continuous improvement. All this time, you've mentally convinced yourself of something, now you have to work (change) that mentality. Consider that the 2.5" group at 100yds relates to a 5" group at 200yds. I'd suggest a lot more trigger time and you'll get there without changing anything.

Wads, cornmeal, or the such, is not going to help improve your accuracy any more than the accuracy you have now. It'll only add additional unneeded processes.
You'll never accurize a rifle without changing the mentality of the shooter. Shoot more often to build your confidence and the only way you'll build your confidence is to practice.
Fantastic post & solid info.

Latest posts

Back