IMR 4759

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scienceguy

Reaction score
I wish 4759 was still available. I'm down to my last 3/4 bottle. I make it a point to stop in at every small town gun shop I pass, hoping one of these out-of-the-way stores might still have some 4759 on a back shelf. No luck so far.

Its sad because for 50cal SMLs its one of the best all-around powders ever made. Good for any of the bullet weight, speed is ok, pressure aint bad and it goes bang pretty easy.

Nothing else really comes close unless you back off on the N110. Even then its harder on sabots than 4759. If you are shooting say....42-43ish grains of 4759 around 38-39gr of N110 is close but its still making more peak. Its rise time to peak is also faster.

I have I think 4 lbs of IMR 4227. Not the same but its all I have that's even close.. Would gladly sell you 2 lb at my cost. $25.00/lb I think. Trouble is Im in Michigan. If you can get legal transportation we can make a deal.

4227 requires more powder than 4759 and it loves pressure. It also likes a heavy bullet for best reliability. In a NULA though a few guys had good luck with it. In a MLII 50cal not so much but i bet some changes to the breech plug could make it way better. Maybe even the current 209 bushing plugs from ASG or Hankins would do the trick?

I have I think 4 lbs of IMR 4227. Not the same but its all I have that's even close.. Would gladly sell you 2 lb at my cost. $25.00/lb I think. Trouble is Im in Michigan. If you can get legal transportation we can make a deal.
Thanks for the offer. I do have some 5744 that I might try after my 4759 has returned to the atmosphere.

I tried some 5744 in my NULA once or twice. Not all that impressed with it. Probably fine for loads under 2000fps but its a really dirty powder.

I tried some 5744 in my NULA once or twice. Not all that impressed with it. Probably fine for loads under 2000fps but its a really dirty powder.
5744 is very dirty and it is the only powder that I have ever had a mis-fire with. I was shooting the 250SST in a very tight barreled T/C with a CCI 209M primer. It was very cold that day, 10* with a -20* windchill..... Gun did not fire on a 140" Buck. Last time that powder was ever used.

I didn’t realize they quit making 4759! I still have 12 pounds, so no more than I hunt with my NULA muzzleloader, it will probably last me the rest of my life.

12 Pounds! Retrieverman, I am your long lost cousin, twice removed on your mother's side of the family. I am sure she had told you about me sometime in the past. My birthday is coming up soon.................LOL! For NULA shooters, your 12 pounds is a veritable gold mine! I would have bought a keg if I had known the stuff was being discontinued too! If you ever decide to part with a pound, put me at the top of your list!

If you don’t mind me asking a somewhat off topic question, is 4759 better in a smokeless ML than 4198?

Or is 4198 the new “go to“ powder since 4759 was discontinued?

I wish 4759 was still available. I'm down to my last 3/4 bottle. I make it a point to stop in at every small town gun shop I pass, hoping one of these out-of-the-way stores might still have some 4759 on a back shelf. No luck so far.
Are you talking about SR4759? I use to use that in 20 ga loads. I did not know they quit making it. It; a real close to IMR4227 if I remember right. Just a tad faster burning. I think the SR4759 was also used in pistol loads.

I have I think 2 pounds of IMR-4759 Damn shame you weren't closer to me I could let you have it I can no longer hunt Can not ship powder

I am in Michigan as well and I’m sitting on 3 pounds yet. Right now I’m not using it and I thought about selling it to someone local but there’s that nagging notion in the back of my mind that says as soon as I sell it I’m going to need it

Greg

I am in Michigan as well and I’m sitting on 3 pounds yet. Right now I’m not using it and I thought about selling it to someone local but there’s that nagging notion in the back of my mind that says as soon as I sell it I’m going to need it
I thought the same. I just checked and have only 2 Lb. I have 4 lb of 2 other powders on either side of it as far as burn rate ( Win 296 and 571). It would be mostly for my 357 mag. and I really dont shoot it much. The reason I keep these around is for downloading my .243 win. for night hunting. With reduced loads its a lot quieter. 😀 So if someone needs it I will make good on my offer. My next thought is if you need it to keep shooting thats great. Dont just grab it to hoard it.

The problem with 4227 is it was made for magnum pistol type loads. It operates best in that pressure range. That can be a bit high for sabot loads. Light it up good with a tight sabot and it works.

Latest posts

Back