Is this the final word in muzzleloading propellants?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Underclocked said:
Is the bolt adaptor only there to limit blowback er whut?

Drop a primer in the hole and close the bolt. Fire then open the bolt and tip the gun to the side. It's like dropping the FPJ into the cutout and closing it, firing, then opening it. Otherwise they'd have had to give you a tool to cap the gun and decap it.

[quote=""Doohan]If that is the case, I may order a spankin new Extreme.. [/quote]

There are differences. The LRH is supposed to be free floated. I assume they have a different lug setup to do this. If they'd have left off that nasty spiral fluting it would be more attractive. It's like they made it the opposite of the Elite.

Without the adapter in place and with the extended breech plug installed, how much clearance (max) is there between the back edge of that bolt cutout and the end of the plug? A straight line capper wouldn't work?

I don't know. I assume a single capper would probably work but not a big bulky dispencer type. I really need to get one. Maybe this year if I get my shooting range problem fixed I can burn up the last of the T7 and get one for thet Blackhorn. Til then without a place to shoot there isn't much sense in me buying a bunch of shooting stuff.

Blackhorn report in a variety of rifles

this is an interesting review of the Blackhorn 209 in variety of rifles including the Knight LRH and Disc Extreme. No ignition problems reported with the standard Disc Extreme breech plug, but there were problems with ignition with the longer stemmed breech plug that come sith the .52 caliber Knight that can be used with loose powder in any of the newer disc rifles: elite, disc extreme. Also, he shot the T/C Omega, MDM Quick Shooter, Traditions Pursuit, Knight Rolling Block, H&R Huntsman with no ignition problems. a great review. Check it out...hunter ken

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/SpecialReport2.html

I tried 2 different 209 cappers and they will prime the NFPJ. This was without the adapter. Only thing id without the adapter when you open the bolt it wont extract the primer from the plug-you would have to use a tool or your thumb nail if it isnt to tight after firing, Also without the adapter there is quite a gap to let the blowback escape out of the bolt. Kerry

Read through the HP Muzzleloading article, I was hoping he would have posted the targets for the additional rifles he tested. I see a couple from the Knight rifles, good groups as well!

As a relatively newbie with Knight rifles, I'm still a little confused about these breech/priming issues! I have a Disc Extreme (bought last year) that uses the red jacketed 209 primer and shoots great. Can I use this same set-up with Blackhorn 209 & standard 209 primers? My confusion stems from Toby Bridges report saying no problem v.s. Chuck's report saying slow ignition using plastic jackets!

Chuck used a different breechplug. There is a domed plug for the revolution that works in the Extreme. It reduces blowback but apparently isn't hot enough to light the blackhorn.

Thanks Patrick; I bought one of the domed breach plugs to see if it reduced the crud ring as has been reported. Haven't even opened it yet and may not if the current (original) set-up will work with Blackhorn 209.

Yeah Patrick I bought thse for my knights also. If the standard breech plugs work with the Plastic jackets and BH powder I may have wasted my money if I decide to use that powder. Kerry

Talk about a funny story. This powder was invented by a bored engineer at General Dynamics (I think, an engineer anyway) in Quebec where the powder is manufactured and shipped bulk into the US for packaging. Once packaged it begins the long arduous road back to me in Canada. :cry:
I hope to see some this decade....

Just wondering outloud if the CCI 209M primer might solve the problems with the FPJ? I can't wait to try this powder myself. :D

Using the breech plug that comes standard on the Disc bolt action rifles, Full Plastic Jacket kind with the shorter flash channel and cupped face- wouldnt that in itself solve the ignition problems versus the domed breech plug? Or is it that the FPJ doesnt seal the blowby gases and give the proper pressure for consistent ignition and velocity? Just wondering, yall might want to hold off on buying those non FPJ plugs till we find out. If not, start throwing those FPJs up on the classifieds for cheap :lol:

Shooter I think that is the 100 ? right now. I think if I read right chuck used the domed breech plug in the Elite. Be interesting to see what happens with the standard breech plug with the FPJs.

Critter said:
Just wondering outloud if the CCI 209M primer might solve the problems with the FPJ? I can't wait to try this powder myself. :D

I was wondering about this myself, the CCI and standard WIN (not T7) 209's were some of the hottest primers I tried in my Omega. One of the most appealing features of the Knights for me was the Disc itself, much easier priming with winter mitts on than a little 209...

Bridges article

quote from the article:

In addition to several Knight DISC Extreme models, I've also shot the powder out of a variety of other No. 209 primer ignited .50 caliber in-line rifles (T/C

Omega, MDM Quick Shooter, Traditions Pursuit, Knight Rolling Block, H&R Huntsman). Ignition has been spontaneous...and accuracy very good. The only rifle I ran into a little problem with was the .52 caliber Knight DISC Extreme - and only with the stemmed breech plug that squeezes a little more velocity out of Triple Seven loads. Igniting the Blackhorn 209 loads from near the front of the charge resulted in very noticeable lag time. When the rifle was fitted with a standard non-stemmed breech plug, ignition was spontaneous. With 120-grains of FFFg Triple Seven, and the stemmed plug, this rifle gives me 1,938 f.p.s. with Knight's big 375-grain saboted all-copper spitzer. With the standard DISC Extreme breech plug and 120-grains of Blackhorn 209, the load is good for 1,929 f.p.s. - and 3,099 f.p.e. One nice 140 class buck, taken at 120 yards, went down n the spot.

Ken- in the extremes he had no trouble with unless I missed something it doesnt say whether he used the FPJ or the setup for the NFPJ. Hope it was with the FPJs

Since even a musket cap or an unenclosed 209 system is not hot enough to ignite this powder right I believe the Knight stem system shows how close a regular 209 is to not working well so the hotest possable 209 would be best. I am thinking that the best results will come from a system like the ultre's that can use a mag rifle primer. Since I am thinking about puting one together I thought I would ask what you all were think of that idea.

blackhorn in cva kodiak

Can you use the knew Blackhorn powder in the kodiak cva muzleloaders?

Latest posts

Back