Is this the final word in muzzleloading propellants?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a lurker, have learned much here. This place is a great lodge!

Thanks for the review, big6x6! I've been waiting for some info!
Not happy that so far the FPJ's are not a go, but this might be the push I need to go ahead and get the disc-less breechplug.

.452 240g XTP/MAG at nearly 2000fps, with little cleaning required...YES!

Chuck

By useing a 100gr by Vol. How many shots can you get out of a 10oz can of the Blackhorn209 ?
:roll:
Ron

lungbuster1 said:
Chuck

By useing a 100gr by Vol. How many shots can you get out of a 10oz can of the Blackhorn209 ?
:roll:
Ron

Here in Athens, AL 100gr Blackhorn 209 BY VOLUME weighs about 67 grains
Blackhorn 209 features a 12 ounce jug BY WEIGHT---->12 ounces is almost exactly 5250 grains BY WEIGHT----> about 78 shots.

doin some complex matheematical xtraction here, that comes out to approximately $0.38 per shot assuming the powder goes for $30 a lb. i am glad they are putting it out in 12 oz cans instead of 10 oz. thats still some expensive powder though.

n8dawg6 said:
doin some complex matheematical xtraction here, that comes out to approximately $0.38 per shot assuming the powder goes for $30 a lb. i am glad they are putting it out in 12 oz cans instead of 10 oz. thats still some expensive powder though.

OOPS! :oops:

I goofed! :shock: :lol:

It IS 10 ounce and why I ran with 12 ounce I have no IDEA! Too early? :?

So 4375grs BY weight to a jug... 4375grs divided by 67gr = about 65 shots..

About 46 cents a shot....

If Blackhorn 209 works out and eliminates the displeasures and inconveniences associated with the powders we are using now, why not spend a little more for it. I don't shoot pellets but 777 pellets must be pretty close to that price per shot.

str8 shhoter

Hodgdon .50 Triple 7 Pellets *HAZ 50gr 100pk

$32 per box x 2 pellets per/shot =$0.64 per/shot could be more if you
are shooting the Omega Scope which calls for 3 pellets

I hope the BH209 is wonderful and priced at less than 30 per container. Not only would it be a great alternative to current subs, I would think it might drive the price of those subs downward.

Maybe, if, could, ok- so I'm dreamin'.

To me, this is a "no brainer"

No Swabbing
No Patches
No crud ring
No black fingers/hands
No messy cleanup..

No problem ---- $30 bucks a container might be a bit steep but I gurantee this will spur more interest for me with my current lineup of lonely, unused muzzleloaders.

Underclocked said:
I hope the BH209 is wonderful and priced at less than 30 per container. Not only would it be a great alternative to current subs, I would think it might drive the price of those subs downward.

Maybe, if, could, ok- so I'm dreamin'.

i think that hodgdon is going to have to come up w/ something new ...

I'm hoping the street price is UNDER $30

I have a standing order for the stuff at our local SG store...

Can't wait to try it. I don't mind the cleaning so much as I do the blowback mess in my Encores. Both standard AND Pro Hunter.

The problem, cost problem for me, lies in the fact that I shoot usually 4 jugs of T7 a year. And even at the retail price of $20 per jug that is costing me $0.22 per shot. Around 90 shots per # x 4#'s +'s 360 shots... now that is not much shooting for some folks but still it adds up ($80/yr)... "even though I am normally getting my T7 @ half price at the end of the year from wal-mart.

With the BH209 expected to retail @ near $30 and so as Chuck has computed $0.46 a shot for 360 shots for which would then add up to $166/yr. What about you guys that really shoot a lot - that could get really expensive...

I am one of those fortunate few that do not have a problem with the crud ring in any of the ML's I shoot, add in the performance and reliabilty of T7 that has been great for me - so it would be hard to justify the change and eat the cost...

I just wish it would come out to be priced near the same as T7... actually I fear if it isn't - that after the initial surge and use it will not be in that much of a demand just because of the cost factor...

As I look at all of the cans and bottles of centerfire powder that I have sitting in the reloading cabinet and the most recent jug that I bought, a jug of IMR 3031 is $21.00 - why is this BH209 going to be so expensive, other than to exploit the market - Law of Supply and Demand

Just thinking out loud and in print

i'will try some if i' can find it.. :lol: do you thank wal mart will carry it :?: :?:give it 2 years and you wont here no more about it :?: :?: they should of lower the cost to about 21-25 dollar range????? thanks WORM

SabotLoader... do you think maybe you live in a less humid climate than say Ohio?

Doohan

Can not say that I am real familiar with Ohio, but we are at 2600 feet on a plain above the Snake River - it is called the Palouse Prairie - Number one product is winter wheat - cause it is so dry here in the summer you can not expect rain. It will rain the second week of June and then the second week of September.... Usually humidity is not a problem... so I am thinking you are correct it is less humid here.

Well... IMHO that is the reason you have no crud ring... get into a humid climate and you will know soon enough.

Doohan

That certainly is a valid theory, but then what about in the winter or the fall hunting season when the humidity is up on the 60/70% mark, when it is not snowing or raining. I really like to shoot the ML in the early spring and the fall when the temperature is more like the hunting temperature. Like right now we have a ton of snow on the ground and the temps are in the 30 and 40's. The humidity certainly is higher than later in the year and I still seem to be OK.

I guess I have always thought I could blame it on bore treatment and the reaction of the pressure and heat with what ever might be in the bore, even if the bore is wiped clean. I was one of those individuals that continued to use BB as a treatment and I really felt it did reduce fouling and the "crud ring" Now I did not use it by caking it in the barrel but I applied it to a very hot bore... Since then I have switched a synthetic oil Slip 2000 that is providing my the same results. I also should say that I used BB in my trap guns and chokes and really reduced the fouling and the plastic fouling that builds up in the chokes - so from that I transferred the the thought to the ML bore. And again after switching to the Slip 2000 the chokes remain clear for a lot longer than they use to with a good bore oil.

I really just do not know...

There are several things that can affect crud ring one of them is the polish on the inside of the barrel. My Omega had crud ring so bad that it was a real problem and a major cleaning job to get it out after one shot, I lapped the barrel with jewlers rouge finest grade it still gets some but the reduction was around 80 per cent. for some reason my best guess would be a combination of the breach plug and the a better polish in the barrel to start with my Triumph has never had a "crud ring" but it sure makes it awful dirty and it has to be wiped every shot. I believe you are right about the moisture to I live in AR north central down wind of Greers Fairy lake about 3/4 mile from the lake and we have a lot of humidity here to start with.

Latest posts

Back