Jim Shockey Gold?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusticbob

Reaction score
Someone gave me a new, unopened 1 lb can of American Pioneer Powder, with Jim Shockey Gold as a name. It appears to be a white square 50gr equivalent pellets. Has anyone tried it? Not sure if I should dump it as all powders are scarce around here. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 16167641190731615205148562413083.jpg
    16167641190731615205148562413083.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 3
Someone gave me a new, unopened 1 lb can of American Pioneer Powder, with Jim Shockey Gold as a name. It appears to be a white square 50gr equivalent pellets. Has anyone tried it? Not sure if I should dump it as all powders are scarce around here. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I used it a long time ago /killed deer and always went bang (given to you) no brainer shoot it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! /Ed

yep, shoot it.

I have 3# of All American or something with a name like that. Left to me by a friend who passed. This next season I intend to kill deer with it in my friends behalf. I think its from the same company that makes the gold you have.

You do need to try a few shots with it on the range. If that shoots fine your good to go. If it reacts like tpcollins states then it was not cared for properly and needs to be trashed.

American Pioneer Powder Inc..
I tried some of the "sticks" once. Had several misfires and tossed it out. Never tried the Loose.

Go for it and give it a try, Hard to beat Free.

That sounds like a plan, I will take it to the range tomorrow and report back.
I have a brand new T/C Triumph and a not so new Knight LK-93 to sight in. I also have some Pyrodex powder and T7 pellets to compare. I have both T/C and Barnes Sabots to test in the T/C, and some .50cal Maxi-Hunters for the Knight. Thanks for the input.

Anything with Shockey's name associated with it, is automatically suspect.

Anything with Shockey's name associated with it, is automatically suspect.
Suspect if you like but it does not change a single thing I stated . A neighbor gave me some also not realizing I have only shot real BP for close to 20 yrs ,I thanked him and put it on the shelf . Not my go to powder but judging my my history with it if taken care of it flat out works , and reminds me (don"t look a gift horse in the mouth) or something like that and nope not a fan of Jim's either but when I was killin stuff with it I did not know anything about him just liked the screwy shaped pellets and the results .YMMV/Ed

...why the hate?
Not sure...he was promoting the Encore and probably got too much free swag? I like his older shows for the views of GI-normous whitetail and moose sporting awesome racks- his newer shows often include daughter Eva, and similarly wonderful views... ;-)
As far as the powder goes; I have a can of the loose Gold with which I plink...if I remember to pull it down from the back of the ammo safe.

When deer season gets here Ill try to remember to post pics of the deer I killed with the American Pioneer powder I plan to use this year in honor of my deceased friend.. They will be just as dead as any other powder used and Ill bet I do not get one complaint from any deer.

Few years ago i was gifted some JSG sticks and some Super Sticks. Will fire some of both from my Buckstalker next time at the range.

Back