Just for your information

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
Just for your information. I am developing loads for Friendship . It is our fall Nationals . I weighed out loads from 70 grains up to 84 grains in 2 grain increments . Example 70,72,74 ect... Anyway I was using a Hornady electronic loader that weighs your loads automatically. I was weighing out 70 grain loads. I left one of the 70 grain loads on my scale by accident . The next day that 70 grain load weighed 71.6 grains. That would definitely make a difference when trying to make precise shots at long range.

My point is . Make sure to always keep powder in sealed containers / quick loads . My garage is air conditioned I would think with out air conditioning the humidity would of effected my weight even more.

Maybe this is a case where measuring by volume like most manufactures suggest would be more consistant ?

Sounds like a mouse took a dump in your pan. I have a non air conditioned garage and ill go set 70 grains on the scale now and report back tomorrow. Youve got my curiosity up.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Now I have to know too. Although it won't be in a garage, but a dry basement. I'll throw an 84gr weighed charge in the pan and check it tomorrow too.

herschel conyers said:
Sounds like a mouse took a dump in your pan. I have a non air conditioned garage and ill go set 70 grains on the scale now and report back tomorrow. Youve got my curiosity up.

You’ve got my curiosity up too. Will a mouse take a dump in your load or not?

Or it was the electronic scale? Did you check the calibration? Did you check one of your sealed dry 70 grain by WEIGHT charges to see if it still WEIGHED 70 grains?

Busta said:
Or it was the electronic scale? Did you check the calibration? Did you check one of your sealed dry 70 grain by WEIGHT charges to see if it still WEIGHED 70 grains?

What Busta Said! :yeah: One should NEVER fully trust ANY Electronic digital Scale!!! I do use one often, actually a LOT due to it’s Convenience, I also use an RCBS 10-10 Beam Scale back n forth to check my Digital, I Have a Redding Beam as well. For absolute trust, Use your Beam Scale :yeah: Electronics Can, and WILL Fail at some point

Well its almost been 13 hours that the 84grs weighed or 120grs volume has been sitting in the pan on the RCBS balance scale. It reads EXACTLY the same as it did 13 hours ago. Perfectly on the mark.
Again, climate controlled basement with a very low humidity level.

Well its been 13 hrs and the 70 grain weighed load still weighs exactly 70 grains. The humity in the garage is not controlled in any way. Ill leave this experiment for another day and report in.

Exactly what I expected. If you look at Blackhorn 209 under magnification, you can see its a coated powder. This is probably why it is harder to ignite than other BP subs that draw moisture like a sponge.

I've never had a problem with it drawing moisture, even while loaded in the rifle in inclimate weather.

It was on a digital scale . But I also measured it on a beam scale .
Now that I think about it . My scale has a trickler. Maybe some powder fell out of the trickler and that is why my weight was off ?
I know this powder has to draw some moister . It about has to . I am a perfectionist when dealing with my loads . My blackhorn load weights will change some while setting in my Blackhorn tubes for long periods of times. When I am getting ready for a shoot I weigh out fresh loads .

I know I'm sweating nothing . I'm probably all wet . Sorry for the miss info

This is right off the Blackhorn website so doubtful its a moisture issue....

"Blackhorn 209 is a low residue, high performance propellant made for muzzleloaders and black powder cartridges. It is engineered to consistently shoot at higher velocities and with greater accuracy than any other muzzleloader powder available today. In fact, if you compare the advantages of Blackhorn 209, you will quickly see there are nine areas where Blackhorn 209 simply smokes the competition:"....

6. Not Affected by Temperature or Humidity

Blackhorn 209 is virtually non-hygroscopic. Changes in temperature or humidity do not affect performance. Blackhorn 209 will not setup or degrade like some other propellants. Shelf life is essentially unlimited.

Try this

Weigh out a couple TBS of BH209
Get a small bowl with maybe a cup of bottled water. Reverse osmosis or steamed/distilled if you have it. NOT spring water or tap water.
Dump the weighed BH209 into the water and leave it for a few hours.
Pour it all out through a fine strainer and let the powder dry on parchment paper on a rack
When you are sure its dry weigh it again

You will see that BH209 has lost some weight i bet AND i bet it still fires too. Maybe not well but it still fires.

Re: RE: Re: Just for your information

herschel conyers said:
Well its been 13 hrs and the 70 grain weighed load still weighs exactly 70 grains. The humity in the garage is not controlled in any way. Ill leave this experiment for another day and report in.

Its been 36 hours and the balance beam scale is reading 1/3 of 1/10 th of a grain heavier. I had the doors to the garage open most of the day yesterday. The dew point was 70 degrees here in north central Indiana yesterday. Curiosity satisfied.

Doug....I have a Hornady digital scale, not a powder dropping measure but the digital scale. This thing can be fickle. I really have to watch where the scale re-zeros when I set the empty pan on for the next charge to be weighed. I don't think it was you, its the scale. Try doing your weighing when the a/c is not working so there's no air movement in the area you are working in. I've has charges off by 3-4 grains only because an air current hit the pan with powder in it on the scale.

Latest posts

Back