Knight muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyjimk

Reaction score
Is the barrel on the knight supposed to be a floating barrel and if not,do you think it's worth the effort

The Disc Elite barrel is the only Knight that I know of that's floated. I also think that's why the Disc Elite was arguably one of the most accurate ML'S right out of the box.

jerseyjimk said:
Is the barrel on the knight supposed to be a floating barrel and if not,do you think it's worth the effort

Well that depends.... The Mountaineer and Ulite are. The new DISC Extremes are suppose to be. The Elites of old were suppose to be because of the `forked` recoil lug. The Extremes bult late were also. The LRH even had and extra mounting screw at the rear of the reciever so you could pull the reciever down and float the barrel. But!!! sometimes in the rush to assemble rifles it did not always happen.

Does floating help???? Depends... normally in a wood stock yes! In a composite stock maybe.... If the bareel is set in the barrel channel corectly with the pressure equal on the barrel that could be the best - it is beddied... If the berrel is touching here and not over here then floating will certainly help. Bedding could be better.

Sabotloader,
Please explain some more. I know the Ultralites are floated, not thinking he meant those. All Mountaineers and Extremes are not floated or supposed to be floated from Knight unless this is a new change?? Both mountaineers here are not floated including the 1/24. All Extremes I've owned at least 10 none were never floated. The Disc Elites and Ultralites a dollar bill goes right back to the lug.

Thinking about this I've never owned a new owner Knight Extreme. Do they have a forked recoil lug on them now?

I see nothing about them being floated and mine are not. The Ultralite does specify contoured barrel and floated.

The mountaineers I have the barrels or not floated of about 1 1/2 at the end of the stock and floated from there to the lug or. the extremes or not floated at all touching all the way.

a1smokepole said:
The mountaineers I have the barrels or not floated of about 1 1/2 at the end of the stock and floated from there to the lug or. the extremes or not floated at all touching all the way.

That's the same here. Do you have a new owner Extreme? Does it have a forked recoil lug on it?

I have the original disc master Hunter that came with 2 thumb hole stocks.I don't hunt with the laminate stock.I use the synthetic stock and was thinking about floating the barrel

jerseyjimk said:
I have the original disc master Hunter that came with 2 thumb hole stocks.I don't hunt with the laminate stock.I use the synthetic stock and was thinking about floating the barrel

I prefer floated over bedding. How are you thinking about accomplishing this?

I don't know. That's why I'm asking. I have the bare primer and shoot bh209.I also just installed the quick release pin for the bolt . I figure the was the next thing to do . Any ideas

jerseyjimk said:

Your effort might depend on how it shoots now and what you want to achieve?
From the current ones I've seen/own, I don't recall a composite stock that was floated, that's understandable how close the fit is on the slender forend. Don't like the bulky laminated stocks from Boyds - so I can speak, but one would think it should be floating.

jerseyjimk said:
I don't know. That's why I'm asking. I have the bare primer and shoot bh209.I also just installed the quick release pin for the bolt . I figure the was the next thing to do . Any ideas

The barrels on the Ultralite and Elites for example are contoured. I'm not sure if your barrel can be turned down like a contoured barrel or not?? I'm sure there's guys on here that would know. I think removing material from the stock is an option, but I bet it would be a lot of work.

My laminated stock is a exact copy of the synthetic stock , I just prefer to leave the wood I'm the safe. The synthetic has wear and tear .It's a good shooter out of the box . Just trying to make it little better

The composite stock off the barrel will allow the forend to wiggle some, I've done it. Take your barrel out of the stock and put the butt into a vice (padding) and twist it with your hand - you'll see.
You may want to play with your load first until you''re exhausted trying..

I've had this gun for 14 years, I shot every configuration out the barrel. I'm always looking to improve

Might I suggest bedding from the rear tang to about 3" in front of the lug. I've done this to one Elite and one Extreme. Both are wonderful shooters.

jerseyjimk said:
I prefer not to touch the barrel, it's fluted.

You do not need a contoured barrel to have the barrel float. If you were to bed the reciever you can lift it to allow the barrel to float.

If you barrel fits squarely and firmly in the composite stock you could be better off. I always try to get a complete bedded fit versus a free float with a composite.

Free floating is the easy way out for the manufacturers - it cost money to "fit" the barrel to the stock. In if they are using flexible stock they need to be floated as pressure on the forarm can cause POI shift. Knight composite stocks (Bell and Carlson) do not flex - they are a good stiff stock.

I have played with bedding the knight disc in wood and composite for best accuracy has been full bedding and not floating the barrel and will shoot 120gr loads better then with floating it. when done wright.

Grouse said:
a1smokepole said:

That's the same here. Do you have a new owner Extreme? Does it have a forked recoil lug on it?
I don't have one of the new ones just the old knight made ones.

Back