Lee R.E.A.L. Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rangerod said:
Any members know where these can be purchased?

I have only seen these bullets for sale locally, its a guy that casts several different bullets and sells to Sport shops, Blacksheep Sporting Goods In Coeur d'Alene Idaho is where i seen them, I wasn’t none to impressed with his Casting (i could see pin holes in bases etc.) I decided to buy a mold and make them myself. Like Jackalope said, you might try Gunbroker

Buying Home cast bullets from unknown sources is a real Crapshoot, I bought some Cast 58 Cal Maxi Balls From October Country a couple years ago that disgusted me, i got home and weighed each bullet, HORRIBLE at best! They varied as much as 20 Grains of eachother, Totally unacceptable.

Wow 20 gr. I thought seeing 5-7gr from another bullet manufacture was bad. Unless mine weigh the same within one grain they go back in the pot.

Yep, They were HORRIBLE!! I thought about taking them back, October Country is in Hayden Idaho, about an Hour from me. I would NEVER buy Cast bullets from them EVER Again. My neighbor has a box of Home Cast Minies for .58 Cal that he bought from them, I weighed 6 of them and they were all over the board as well. I rarely do business with them as they are more geared toward Traditional, REAL Traditional stuff, Lots of leather Man Purses, etc. etc. Rendezvous type Stuff. I have ZERO interest in that stuff. As I’ve said before, i would rather take a DIRECT kick to the balls and be able to stay at Home, than have to attend a Rendezvous with a bunch of Men Acting Foolish, Etc Etc. I would find that EMBARRASSING as hell to Act like that. But thats just me!! No offense to you guys that do it, if it keeps your boat afloat that’s all that matters! :yeah:

It looks like I'm SOL. I'll probably stick with the Maxi Hunter or Maxi Ball since I don't really care to get into pouring my own. Too many irons in the fire the way It Is. Unless there are other suggestions of something to try.

rangerod said:
Actually found some for sale on gunbroker......... $16 per 50. 320 grn from a private individual. Gonna give em a try.

It’s really to bad they dont make the Lyman Plains bullets available to buy (They are a Mold only deal) I have shot them a BUNCH now in .50 and .54, They have proven FAR superior to Maxi Balls in Several rifles (My own, and Others i have sent bullets to) From Fast Twist barrels, to Stock 1:48, The Lyman Plains is an AWESOME shooting bullet! I have had several Custom molds made, I can say without a doubt that these Lyman Plains bullets take a backseat to NONE of them!

I have owned the Lee R.E.A.L. Molds in .54 and .58, I got rid of them, I don’t remember much about them now? Had they of been great, i would stil have them

Idaholewis said:
rangerod said:
Actually found some for sale on gunbroker......... $16 per 50. 320 grn from a private individual. Gonna give em a try.

It’s really to bad they dont make the Lyman Plains bullets available to buy (They are a Mold only deal) I have shot them a BUNCH now in .50 and .54, They have proven FAR superior to Maxi Balls in Several rifles (My own, and Others i have sent bullets to) From Fast Twist barrels, to Stock 1:48, The Lyman Plains is an AWESOME shooting bullet! I have had several Custom molds made, I can say without a doubt that these Lyman Plains bullets take a backseat to NONE of them!

I have owned the Lee R.E.A.L. Molds in .54 and .58, I got rid of them, I don’t remember much about them now? Had they of been great, i would stil have them

A man can make some money making them at home and selling them on here, I would buy some for sure.
I would love to cast some of my own but I don’t have the time.

280Bravo said:
Idaholewis said:
rangerod said:

A man can make some money making them at home and selling them on here, I would buy some for sure.
I would love to cast some of my own but I don’t have the time.
I would certainly agree. I find it kinda strange that this bullet is so hard to find and buy. I hope this works out. If not I'm not out a whole lot of money.

If anyone has a Lee Real Bullet, maybe you can send one or two to whoever is looking for them and they could send the bullet to Accurate Molds and have them make a mold from them?

edmehlig said:
If anyone has a Lee Real Bullet, maybe you can send one or two to whoever is looking for them and they could send the bullet to Accurate Molds and have them make a mold from them?

The Lee R.E.A.L. Molds are VERY readily available, it’s the already made bullets that’s the problem to find for the guys that don’t Cast their own bullets.

rangerod said:
I hope this works out. If not I'm not out a whole lot of money.

rangerod, If the R.E.A.L.s Don't work out to your liking let me know, i will pour you up a few Lyman Plains from my 40:1 Alloy to try, I have no doubt these will shoot good for you :yeah:

What exactly is your rifle? I have the Lyman Plains Molds in both 50, and 54 Cal, they are both .85 in length, the .50 Cal weighs 395 Grains, and the .54 Cal weighs 460 Grains. In .50 Cal i lube and run them through a .501 Sizer, No need for a short starter, You can push them in with your thumb, then a nice steady push to the powder. I also HIGHLY advise the use of a Wool Over Powder Wad, I have tried both Vege Fiber (Hard Card) and Wool, The Wool has outperformed the Hard Card wads HANDS DOWN, in a .50 Cal i use either .50 Cal Wool Wads, or Even .54 Cal Wool, Being Wool the .54 Goes down the .50 Bore just fine, I really can’t tell a difference in Accuracy? But accuracy has never been Great for me when using a Vege Fibre (Hard Card) Wad with a Grease Groove bullet.

These 2 Targets were both shot with the same rifle, same bullet, same powder charge, same distance. The only difference was the Over Powder Wad. My theory is the Hard Card sticks to the bullet base from the melting lube for a short ways upon exiting the bore, and since the bullet is steered by the base it throws it off slightly before the Hard Card Wad separates away, With 1/8 Wool the bullet separates upon exiting, leaving the bullet alone. I can’t prove this, but i think this is what’s happening?
Here is with Vege Fibre (Hard Card) this is typical of what i find when shooting the 2 different Wads
o0y9Ygc.jpg

And here is with an Oversize Wool Wad, Quite a difference! :yeah:
kAsMB33.jpg

I would like to thank you Idaholewis,I might take you up on your offer. I have several guns that are all percussions. 1-24 twist Pedersoli,1-48 twist Lyman Deerstalker,1-20 twist T/C WMC. I also thought about ed's suggestion wondering if Accurate would make the mold. I know they have a good reputation for quality. Maybe I need to rethink the idea of pouring my own bullets. It's probably not all that difficult. And I could get the answers I need right here here on the forum.

rangerod said:
I would like to thank you Idaholewis,I might take you up on your offer. I have several guns that are all percussions. 1-24 twist Pedersoli,1-48 twist Lyman Deerstalker,1-20 twist T/C WMC. I also thought about ed's suggestion wondering if Accurate would make the mold. I know they have a good reputation for quality. Maybe I need to rethink the idea of pouring my own bullets. It's probably not all that difficult. And I could get the answers I need right here here on the forum.

To me, Casting bullets is a fun, and VERY rewarding Past time :yeah: When you Cast your own bullets you have COMPLETE control, From the type of bullet you want to shoot, to the Quality of the bullets. When you buy bullets you obviously have ZERO control. It’s really a bummer when you purchase bullets and find out they were poorly Cast, Not much you can do about it? If i were forced to Buy bullets, I would buy from a Reputable source, Bullshop being one of them. I don’t buy bullets so I don’t know who all the reputable guy’s are? I have dealt with Dan of Bullshop and his Bullets we’re SUPERB, And Shot EXTREMELY well in my Stainless .50 Cal

It doesn’t really cost that much to get started, I would advise going with a Ladle, for Big Muzzleloader bullets you want to fill the mold fast. I would go with an RCBS, or A Lyman Ladle, RCBS my first choice due to it being a Bottom pour design, and the ability to compression Cast with it. You need a Lead furnace to melt it in, There are several options here, you can go with an Electric Pot, or even a Propane burner and use a Small, to mid size Cast Iron Dutch Oven. I personally would go the Dutch oven route, If i try Ladle Casting again down the Rd i will DEFINITELY go with a Dutch oven for the Larger Size, it would be WAY easier to keep your Mold and ladle together on top of the lead and have plenty of room to work, My Lee 4-20 Bottom pour pot is to small in my opinion. Then you need a Mold (You will likely end up with several :lol: It’s a BUNCH of fun!!) And last, you need a sorce of lead, And you are Making PERFECT bullets in no time!! Sky is the limit, with options as a Caster, Jump in! You won’t regret it!! :yeah:

Kinda Neat to sit down and pour up a bunch of YOUR OWN high quality bullets :yeah:

WTVm9Tx.jpg

KVaFwaU.jpg

IzbDpxK.jpg

This was a couple years ago, kinda shows my setup
PsDpTwD.jpg

Send me some of those (in .50), they look excellent! LOL
Cheers.

Back