Lehigh Breech Plug for CVA (Blackhorn 209)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, did you initially mate the plug to the barrel before or after nitride treatment?

I use the Nobel Sport primers in my CVA. The European primers are a little larger in diameter, and these are also as long (0.300"+) as the Winchester W209's. Most European primers are much shorter.

View attachment 5686

Nobel also has the 209/688 primers. Those are supposed to be hotter but ive never seen them for sale locally.

Nobel also has the 209/688 primers. Those are supposed to be hotter but ive never seen them for sale locally.

Yes, the 688 are supposed to be hotter, but I have never seen them on a shelf anywhere. They also have a 684 that is cooler than the 686.

The following description of Nobel Sport primer varieties.

684 American type inox of low power for progressive powders;
686 American type inox of medium power for medium powders;
688 American type inox of high power for faster burning powders.

(For those of you unfamiliar with "inox" or this usage, I think the answer is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel)

images (13).jpeg

51oWudyTsIL._SX355_.jpg

photo1_c00c704a-0e1a-462a-8ebf-84c3f959a50a_300x300.jpg

The 686 have worked fine for me.

You can buy the 688's here.
https://recobstargetshop.com/product/n209-nobelsport-shotgun-primers/

Last edited:
Okay men, I am at a point where I am waiting to get a nitride breech plug, back ordered for a CVA MR. The order is with Muzzle loaders.com of Oregon.
Is it better to just order the Lehigh, plain and not treated, or wait for my turn with Muzzle loaders.com? I have shot the MR with T7 and Win209 primers and dealt with the crude ring. It helped to use the T7, cooler primers for muzzleloaders. But the goal is to get the correct plug to use with BH powder.

I’ve got the Lehigh plug that I shoot with the Win209 primers and it works well. In my experience, breech plugs are going to be cleaned often enough that they’re not going to accrue much fouling anyway. The Lehigh are good people to work with also.

Sure enough, the CVA BP is now available. Last week I was told to wait.

This year our muzzleloader season for blacktail deer starts later than I like, so I have decided to use the MR during our general season. I was okay with using T7 powder, and even an Oregon legal lead conical, but now I can use anything. I do think I will get the Lehigh plug for a backup.

Nitride can create a a very hard surface on 416ss, up to Rc70, which is great. The hardness can permeate up to 0.015" deep. The penetration makes nitride a concern in thin cross section areas under loads as the hard material is now brittle; was a big issue years ago when companies started nitriding every part on a 1911. On the CVA plug, where the lip deformation makes the seal, a high through hardness can lead to a fracture. Now, there are plenty of threads to block a gas leak should a fracture occur on the sealing lip so there is not a safety concern. Nitride companies will run a low penetration process upon request. This makes the surface black, corrosion resistant, but not the wear resistance of the full depth penetration.

Latest posts

Back