Loads 36 Seneca & Patriot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Just acquired both. The Patriot was a kit and the Seneca was factory. I didn’t know the Patriot came a kit. Doesn’t look like much assembly to it.
Seneca ser range 53k. No warning
Patriot K3.6 k
Load recommendations? CE308007-94CE-4B1A-8D0C-5BBFB8CAC315.jpeg

I googled tc patriot loading recommendation when I got mine. I did find a tc chart. Don’t remember what the numbers were but I killed a deer with mine with prb and was well under max loads. I’ll see if I can find the chart

Keep in mind the TC Patriot Pistols are Patched Roundball “Target Pistols” They are NOT designed for Conicals (Bullets)

FIoQ2mi.jpg

Last edited:
If I was going to shoot bullets out of a Thompson Center Seneca rifle, then I would give serious consideration to the following modifications. Especially, since the walnut is now so old, and unless you are the original owner, you have no idea what conditions of humidity that the rifle has been stored in prior to you owning it. And, even more especially, since the rifles were designed to be petite, with fairly small wrists to start with. Wrists that have a history of breaking on the regular when shooting loads with moderate-to-heavy charges of powder. And, that once broken, are VERY, VERY difficult to repair.

I would purchase from Track of the Wolf, PLUG-FH-16-3 ($40.95). This is the flint, hooked breech plug with a 5 7/8" long beavertail tang that has a face plate perforated to fit a hook exactly the same as the ones that T/C uses. You are purchasing it for the tang, keep the breech plug to sell/trade at a later date.

I would remove the factory tang/face plate, and inlet the stock for the longer beavertail tang. After first filing the octagon flats of the face plate from 1" to 15/16" across the flats. I would also purchase one of the long-bar Hawken doubleset triggers from TOW, such as TR-LR-1300 ($65.00), and inlet it into the stock so as to fire the lock properly.

Then, with 2-3 tang bolts connecting the beavertail tang to the trigger bar, the wrist would be significantly reinforced against virtually ever breaking. Then, either reuse the stock trigger guard, or purchase a more Hawken-like trigger guard to replace it.

The last thing I would do is to glass bed the recoil face of the tang, and the entirety of the barrel channel.

By the way, NICE SCORES on both the Seneca & the Patriot. The .36 caliber Patriot is a real find, as far fewer were made than in .45 caliber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the info.Won’t be shooting any large horse power loads or such . Very much aware of the stock issue with them. Have repaired many broken wrist stocks of all types.
Not much interested in modifying or putting time or $ into them.
They are nice pieces out of 48 piece collection
I recently bought.
More than likely I’ll be selling.
But again appreciate your reply and thanks.

That's what a lot of shooters say until they get some .36 cal. Maxi-Balls to shoot. Then the temptation sets in. The Seneca's real forte is in its ability to shoot conical lead. But, the weak wrist puts that on the back burner unless you somehow reinforce it.

That little 36 Maxi Ball is catchy!

I usually would bed the stock beefing up the breech /tang area. Undercut the length of the tang. Then monolithic bed.

The .36 Maxi has always impressed me, And makes the Most sense to me in the Patriot/Seneca/Cherokee Platform. Patched Roundball in the .45s are No problem, It’s the Bullets you have to be careful with in the .45 Cal.

These particular Guns were NOT designed to Take STIFF Charges and HEAVY Bullets (Hence TC’s SPECIFIC Load Data for them) There are PLENTY of Cracked Stocks with these 3 out there to prove this. The .36 Cal isn’t a Problem here, The Little Maxi is only 130 Grains, Recoil is Minimal even if Loaded STOUT. The .45 Cal On the other Hand, loaded with a TC Maxi Ball or Maxi Hunter and a Stiff Charge, You have a PERFECT Recipe for a Cracked Stock. The Seneca & Cherokee are basically Scaled Down versions of the Hawken & Renegade. There have been PLENTY of Regular Full sized (15/16”) TC Hawken Stocks Cracked from Stiff Loads, So It only makes sense that the little Seneca & Cherokee is gonna Crack/Break much easier.

I stil have 1 .36 Cal Maxi Mold, I use to collect these Old TC Molds, They can bring a Premium, Especially the .32 & .36s, New in the Box like mine :)
PD671dY.jpg

mpXNIgZ.jpg

.36 beside a .54 :)
BotmU6Qm.jpg
Lewis, have you ever tried shooting the .36 Maxi-Ball with just the bottom groove lubed, like you figured out to do with the heavier bullets?

Lewis, have you ever tried shooting the .36 Maxi-Ball with just the bottom groove lubed, like you figured out to do with the heavier bullets?

No I didn’t, I never did have a Good .36 Bore, I had 2 TC Seneca’s in .36 Cal at 1 time but Both had Rough/Pitted Bores

Latest posts

Back