Looking into a Knight.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if the threads were sealed with grease, and the plug was tight, the soot is coming around the primer. That tells me the bolt is too short, and isn't holding the primer tight in the breech plug. The loose primer is allowing blow by around the nose of the primer. The disc extreme i now own has a bolt i took from another rifle, and when closed, it actually compresses the W209 primer between 0.005", and 0.010". This makes for a tight seal at the nose of the primer, and the result is zero soot on the spent primers. When i had 2 disc rifles, i used the one bolt for both rifles, because it made zero blow by in both rifles.

The Mountaineer i once owned had a perfect fit when using the W209 primer, and except for the fact one could see they had been popped, them primer looked like new, after they were fired.

The advantage of the bolt Knight rifles is the camming effect of the bolt when it is closed. Closing a good fitting bolt really makes a good seal between primer, and breech plug. If the space between the bolt face, and the primer socket is too loose, the primer isn't held tight, and as a result fired primers, the bolt face, the breech plug, and the all around, get all that messy soot on them.

Thanks for the info Ron. I understand the "crush fit" concept from my CVA break actions & get clean primers from them. The plug was & is definitely cleaned thoroughly & re greased every time I head out to the range. I think I may have to send the whole gun back for Gordy to "fit" things properly. I don't know if you should be able to feel any difference when you close the bolt on a primer vs. an empty breech, but you don't.

GregK said:
Thanks for the info Ron. I understand the "crush fit" concept from my CVA break actions & get clean primers from them. The plug was & is definitely cleaned thoroughly & re greased every time I head out to the range. I think I may have to send the whole gun back for Gordy to "fit" things properly. I don't know if you should be able to feel any difference when you close the bolt on a primer vs. an empty breech, but you don't.
Do you have a caliper to measure the primers length before and after closing the bolt on an Unfired one? It would be interesting to see if when you close the bolt on a primer then just open and remove it without firing if it gets any crush fit. Sounds like the pocket is a bit deep

GregK said:
......................I don't know if you should be able to feel any difference when you close the bolt on a primer vs. an empty breech, but you don't.
Yes, yes you should be able to tell the difference when closing the bolt on a primer if it is making a 'crush'. As ShawnT suggested, you can measure a primer with a caliper, before and after, to see if there is some 'crush'.

Greg,

That is eactly what my primers and breech plug looked like in my Mountaineer. After Gordy sent me new bolts and breech plugs it was still the same. He replaced my Mountaineer with a new one and it is pefectly clean. Keep pushing they will make it right.

By the way great shooting!

Scott

I finally got time to check the primers. No crush difference at all. I definitely have a "fit" issue. No measurement change at all.

GregK said:
I finally got time to check the primers. No crush difference at all. I definitely have a "fit" issue. No measurement change at all.
Then the primer is not bottoming in the pocket at all. Definitely keep up with Gordy and he will get it resolved. If it was an older rifle I would shim the pocket till you get a slight crush fit, but they should get that fixed, or replace the rifle.

I have a confirmed message to Gordy already. I found another interesting issue at the range the other day. The primers starting sticking in the breech plug with the very first shot & the primer pocket was totally clean. I fired, opened the bolt, & could not pull it back. I slid my thumb & finger down the bolt, right next to the rifle & it slid back easily. Looking at the gun, I can only wonder if it was not made right because the only reason that would happen that I can think of is that when I pull on the upper ball of the bolt handle, it's cocking & binding.

At this point I don't know why the rifle is not on its way back to Knight. When I bought a Mountaineer I was having some dirty primers (nothing like what your experiencing) and I called them and the guy said I am sending a UPS guy to your house tomorrow to pick the gun up. After wrapping the plug with some white teflon tape including the front it seemed to clean them up so I canceled sending it back when the UPS guy came. If I was having the problems that you are with this gun it would be going back to be fixed or getting a new one.

I think the likelyhood is that it will go back. I am a bit annoyed as it's been a week sunce I sent pucs & a description to Gordy's email & i've heard nothing. I sent a message on the 15th thru the Knight website got a confirmination thay my email was being sent to Gordy. I'm trying to be understanding as I know they're busy but, I do hope to hear something soon.

Sabitloader is sure that he can fix it for me but, he shouldn't have too. I've had mixed experiences with Knight's customer service. It's either been painfully slow in response to my issues or lightning fast. Kind of strange actually but, I'll remain optimistic.

GregK said:
I think the likelihood is that it will go back. I am a bit annoyed as it's been a week sunce I sent pucs & a description to Gordy's email & i've heard nothing. I sent a message on the 15th thru the Knight website got a confirmation that my email was being sent to Gordy. I'm trying to be understanding as I know they're busy but, I do hope to hear something soon.

Sabitloader is sure that he can fix it for me but, he shouldn't have too. I've had mixed experiences with Knight's customer service. It's either been painfully slow in response to my issues or lightning fast. Kind of strange actually but, I'll remain optimistic.

I understand your frustration, and Knight should make it right, but sabotloader can fix it where it would be a better rifle and meet your expectations. You really should consider sending it to him.

GregK said:
I think the likelyhood is that it will go back. I am a bit annoyed as it's been a week sunce I sent pucs & a description to Gordy's email & i've heard nothing. I sent a message on the 15th thru the Knight website got a confirmination thay my email was being sent to Gordy. I'm trying to be understanding as I know they're busy but, I do hope to hear something soon.

Well shoot! I talked to Gordy yesterday or maybe Thursday can not remember for sure - We talked about your rifle and he is expecting the rifle to come in to Knight - problem!!! right now is he is on a 2 day early hunt oh that is not a problem that is the weekend but then he comes back and has to have some minor surgery done...

Just send it in... He knows who you are and has seen the problem so I would hope that it would be a quick turn around... and in his words if it is the rifle - "I will just ship him a new one"

mike

Thanks for the heads up. Do I just send the action assy in or the whole gun?

sabotloader said:
GregK said:
Thanks for the heads up. Do I just send the action assy in or the whole gun?

He does not need the stock... Just send the barreled action to Knight with ATTEN: Gordy Edwards. I would also include your pictures and written explanation of your frustrations...

mike

Well.... I take that back - I think you are going to get a new rifle out of the deal, I do not know that for sure but from what I have seen - I think you will - I have already suggested to you what the problem might be - so yes, send the whole works in... I am sure that it is a GM problem..

GregK said:
Complete rifle is on it's way to Gordy

Good enuf... I will tell him to expect it via email or text... Hopefully he can turn it around in a hurry for you. He may not be working today or tomorrow but should be in at the end of the week...

He did get your email that it was coming in so he is expecting it...

mike

Latest posts

Back