manual powder trickler ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
avoiding the whole weighing vs volume discussion ........ for you folks that weigh BP or even smokeless is there much difference between the lyman , hornady , RCBS and frankford arsenal tricklers ? the lyman looks the most interesting to me but i'm ignorant about these things . does either trickle more consistantly than the others ? or are they pretty much even ?
thanks , jeff

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=powder+t...r+trickler,aps,105&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_15

I have the RCBS and am happy with it, although admittedly I seldom use it. For ammo reloading I get my Uniflow powder throw dialed into what I need, but I have used it with BH209

I generally find myself pouring onto my balance beam scale directly from the bottle, getting pretty close to what I need. I then take a pinch of powder between my thumb and finger (wearing latex gloves) and slowly add what I need to get the weight I want which works well for me.

I've had the same RCBS for about 35 years, first one I ever bought, never found a reason to get a different one, but I'd bet they all work well. I use a drop to get just under the weight I'm looking for and trickle the rest.

I do not use them I find the to be just annoying, Seem to recall a youtuber made one (trickler) was pretty on as well not much difference between his and manufactured ones.

Have an old RCBS I’ve used for years. It’s sturdy and heavy enough to stay in place while using. As above works great with smokeless and BH.

I have a Hornady from years ago when I reloaded centerfire for fox. The Hornady I have actually has a metal body and I have never seen another.... they're all plastic. I got this one in the late sixties as a graduation present from a cousin. It's a pretty stable little sucker and works great, but is not as tall as newer tricklers so I have a wooden block glued to the base for height. All this trickler talk has reminded me I need to find this thing. I stashed it with some other reloading stuff about a year ago after I had weighed all of my 209 charges for the fall and have not been able to find it again. I'll be starting top weight some smokeless MZ charges soon and really could use it, but can buy another if need be.

I have a Hornady from years ago when I reloaded centerfire for fox. The Hornady I have actually has a metal body and I have never seen another.... they're all plastic. I got this one in the late sixties as a graduation present from a cousin. It's a pretty stable little sucker and works great, but is not as tall as newer tricklers so I have a wooden block glued to the base for height. All this trickler talk has reminded me I need to find this thing. I stashed it with some other reloading stuff about a year ago after I had weighed all of my 209 charges for the fall and have not been able to find it again. I'll be starting top weight some smokeless MZ charges soon and really could use it, but can buy another if need be.
It never occurred to me to raise it up some. That would be more convenient

I've had one for maybe 45 plus years and ONLY use it with smokeless. I work up loads by volume and don't worry much about actual weight. Careful pouring into a fixed measure is just as accurate.

I've had one for maybe 45 plus years and ONLY use it with smokeless. I work up loads by volume and don't worry much about actual weight. Careful pouring into a fixed measure is just as accurate.
You must be a better pourer or have a better fixed measure than me. I measure most all loads for smokeless and BP with a drop to get close or use the volumetric measure for loads I don't really care if they are all exactly the same, but I've never been able to match the accuracy of my scale. Some powders measure by volume better than others. ALL of my rifle loads are dropped, then weighed, and trickled to the exact weight I am after. When I'm working up loads I even sort the bullets by weight, I want to control as many variables as I can.

Back