Maximum Powder Charge????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start shooting my new CVA Optima II. I'll be shooting Blackhorn 209, Blackhorn CVA QR Breech Plug Kit, CCI Magnum 209 Primers with Hornady FPB 300 grain bullets. I'm a Magnum kind of guy. I shoot a Benelli 12 gauge and a Browning 300 WSM. Here's my question....is there any reason, other than recoil or slight accuracy, that I should not go with the 120 grain maximum load that Blackhorn 209's web site says I can go with? Thanks for any input at all.

You can go 120 but i would suspect you will have better accuracy and less fouling at around100 by volume

bestill said:
You can go 120 but i would suspect you will have better accuracy and less fouling at around100 by volume

How much accuracy difference do you think there will be with the lighter charge?

Cant say every gun and bullet different.
But not much velocity gain either from say 110 to 120

Its all up to shooters desires.
I would always want accuracy over velocity

I say have at it but I would start at 100gr by volume and work my way up to 120gr just to make sure every thing functions the way it should. I have one 45 cal rifle that likes 120gr but that is with a 195gr bullet, recoil is stout but not teeth rattling, yours may be though. Working your way up may give you a chance to find the sweet spot, if it has one.

When I was working up a load in my Optima with BlackHorn 209 and some PT Gold 260 grain, I found anything over 100 grains started to scatter. So I backed down to 90 grains and got my overall best accuracy. The bullet you shoot will be the judge of the powder charge I will guess. All you can do is try. And personally, I am not a recoil lover. I guess when you get old you just don't like to get knocked around as much as when I was young.

My experience is similar to Cayuga's. Don't care for recoil. I get great groups with Optima and 100 grns bh with 300 grn Hornady xtp. Don't see any reason to up the powder charge. Let your gun make the decision. Nothing can compensate for accuracy. :D

I agree with the others. Start out lower and work up and see how it shakes out. Accuracy is what is more important, to me at least...and there is no way to know what will be the most accurate load without shooting. Also, whether using 90 or 120gr... you will still have plenty enough power to be very effective on game at typical hunting distances. One of my best shooting rifles shoots a 200gr bullet best with 100gr BH. And yes, 120gr of BH with that 300gr bullet is gonna kick pretty good. If you are using a scope, I don't recommend one with short eye relief :D Good luck, post up your results!

Colorado Luckydog said:
I'm getting ready to start shooting my new CVA Optima II. I'll be shooting Blackhorn 209, Blackhorn CVA QR Breech Plug Kit, CCI Magnum 209 Primers with Hornady FPB 300 grain bullets. I'm a Magnum kind of guy. I shoot a Benelli 12 gauge and a Browning 300 WSM. Here's my question....is there any reason, other than recoil or slight accuracy, that I should not go with the 120 grain maximum load that Blackhorn 209's web site says I can go with? Thanks for any input at all.

You gotta' try it. Then the little holes on paper at varying distances will tell you the good or the bad. Personally, I've never needed more than 90 grains for up-to-150 yards, using bullet sizes in your range +or-.

If you plan on shots regularly exceeding 150, then try 100. If you are going 200-250 yards, then 110 should be fine with a bullet that heavy.

GoexBlackhorn said:
If you plan on shots regularly exceeding 150, then try 100. If you are going 200-250 yards, then 110 should be fine with a bullet that heavy.

Good info right there and from everyone. Thanks. I'll go ahead and start out at 100. My goal was to be able to shoot out to 200 yards very effectively.

I think you have to approach muzzleloading from the perspective that it's like a big honkin' lever gun, but without the lever. Big bullet, sub-2000 velocity. Pushing them faster doesn't kill 'em faster.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emrah said:
I think you have to approach muzzleloading from the perspective that it's like a big honkin' lever gun, but without the lever. Big bullet, sub-2000 velocity. Pushing them faster doesn't kill 'em faster.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That all depends on the bullet you choose, and the distances you wish to shoot

I get far better accuracy using 110gr meas. of bh209 but I would start with 100gr measured. guy hope is helps. the truth is your rifle may like the 120 load.

Recoil from a Maximum load is what some have said is one of the reasons for perhaps going to a lighter 90- 100 grain charge. In my case, my rifle is very heavy and the Max charges have not been an issue thus far. But have not put any BH 209 through it yet, but will shortly.

Recoil is not a problem. I hunt with a 300WSM. I would bet a dollar to a doughnut hole that the recoil from my CVA Optima II loaded with 120gr. BH209 and a 300 grain bullet will not even be close to the recoil of my Browning X-Bolt 300WSM. Not even close. Just saying..

I just prefer the maximum charge I can hunt with without giving up "hunting accuracy". I'll just have to find out what that is at the range this summer.

Colorado Luckydog said:
GoexBlackhorn said:

Good info right there and from everyone. Thanks. I'll go ahead and start out at 100. My goal was to be able to shoot out to 200 yards very effectively.

Most have already provided all the information, I'd just suggest one additional.

A charge and bullet that may be very accurate at 100yds, can go all to heck at 200yds+ and open up groups significantly. Not saying all will, but some can. I'd suggest you determine your maximum hunting shooting distance and develop the charge/bullet combination for that maximum range. Then practice at that range, a lot.

IMO there isn't a significant difference between a 110gr or 120gr volume charge for recoil, and if you're not recoil sensitive you most likely won't notice it. My last Pro Hunter would shoot either a 110 or 120gr charge equally accurate to 200yds. I found no significant difference in the fouling of BH and did not swab between rounds.

Back