measuring BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I just said screw it and ordered the breech plug for bh209 and my cva optima and upon reading reviews on the BH powder tubes it shows they aren't very consistent in measurements. do you guys weigh it on a reloading scale or trust the tubes?

The tubes are not accurate for measuring Blackhorn; they are OK for taking the powder to the range. Lane' tubes are better to carry the powder whilst hunting; the tops screw on, and won't pop off, and leave your pocket full of powder. Don't trust the tubes for measuring.

I use an electronic digital Hornady scale. I weigh all my loads at home and tube them for the range and hunting. For a quick reference:

80 grains measured equals 56 grains weighed. 90/63, 100/70, 110/77, 120/84. The 120/84 grain charge is the maximum charge as noted by the powder maker and is roughly equal to 150 grains, measured, of black powder.

I think you'll find this powder an easy to use product in your CVA. I use it in all of my guns. My current go to load in both my Accura and my T/C Impact is 77 grains BH209, weighed, green sabot and 300 grain XTP in the .44 caliber. Both guns are very accurate with this load. In my Optima pistol I'm burning 63 grains, weighed, with a Hornady XTP 249 grain in .44 caliber and it too is very accurate. I've gotten rid of all the black and Pyrodex and t7 stuff now.

Some of the tubes are way off.
I reload and weight all my cartridge loads ,I tried weighting Blackhorn and it opened my groups a bit the weight seems to be somewhat inconsistent.
I have been shooting muzzleloaders since 1963 and have drawers full of things, I picked out several volume measures and checked them against both by weight and grouping the one I settled on was TC U-View.
It works for me.

I use an adjustable brass measure, but I never shoot more than 100 yards at the range or in the field and it's plenty accurate enough for that. I put the charges in tubes for the range or speedloaders for hunting.

I have a bunch of these T/C speedloaders, some are singles and some are triples. They might not be the best choice with BH209 because the relatively small kernels of powder can get between the sabot and tube wall and the bullet/sabot gets stuck in the tube. You can get the bullet out by rolling the tube between your thumb and fingers and crushing the offending powder kernels but it's a PIA.
As you can see in the photo, all 3 sabots/bullets are wedged.
IMG_5801.jpg

As others have ,said, the tubes are not accurate and are not really made to use as a powder measure but only for storing pre-measured charges. I weigh my charges but only because I already have a RCBS Chargemaster I use for my reloading. If I didn't have it I wouldn't be weighing, as I think it would be too much trouble and much more tedious than using a black powder measure and measuring charges by volume. You can weigh if you wish but any good black powder measure will be very consistent with BH209. I find the Thompson Center U‑View Black Powder Measure to be very accurate and consistent.

I measure my charges on an RCBS 10:10 balance beam scale. My dad measures his with a brass powder measure.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
I have a bunch of these T/C speedloaders, some are singles and some are triples. They might not be the best choice with BH209 because the relatively small kernels of powder can get between the sabot and tube wall and the bullet/sabot gets stuck in the tube. You can get the bullet out by rolling the tube between your thumb and fingers and crushing the offending powder kernels but it's a PIA.
As you can see in the photo, all 3 sabots/bullets are wedged.
IMG_5801.jpg

IME, BH209 isn't the smallest and has the least dust of any BP sub I've used except "Pellets" which I believe the TC tubes were designed for use with and hence the problem...
-FWIW, almost any powder or load you choose causes this problem because most sabots are narrow at the base and allow the powder to wedge between the tube and sabot base and unless you find that barely fitting bullet or sabot/bullet fit you are going to run into this issue.

My solution- I put the 2 saboted bullets in the center tube, and the powder charges themselves in the 2 outer tubes. By sacrificing 1 load, I eliminate the issue you are describing and am free to use whatever powder I choose...

cljohnson24 said:
My solution- I put the 2 saboted bullets in the center tube, and the powder charges themselves in the 2 outer tubes. By sacrificing 1 load, I eliminate the issue you are describing and am free to use whatever powder I choose...
[/i]

I put 5 bullets/sabots inside one of these tubes and carry 5 powder charges in separate tubes in a pocket that won't let them fall out but affords easy access. My starter is in the same pocket with these components. If needed, the sabot tube is a quick one to locate and the charge tubes are right handy. Primers are in a small square rubber block that carries nine and takes up no room at all, but is still easy to identify in the pocket. Empty powder tubes go inside the pocket on the other side of the coat.

I don't like things hanging on the guns stock nor on a belt. I've had primers in the tube caddies like the one shown fall out in a deep pocket and were hard to find. I've had the tubes slip out of the top portion and really make a mess in a pocket too. A small piece of scotch tape across the tube covers keeps them from un-screwing and in the cold hunting temps breaks away easily when one is needed for a re-load.

Re: RE: Re: measuring BH209?

ronlaughlin said:
Lane' tubes

IMG_2591.JPG
You cant beat lanes tubes, great product, great prices, and FREE shipping. I love to use them.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back