My new CVA Optima V2 Nitride

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaTuFu

Reaction score
Christmas came a little early this year, thanks to my awesome wife.

Got a good deal on muzzleloaders.com, it arrived today. I bought the Blackhorn QRBP with it.

I plan to take it home and clean it/remove the factory oil before I sight it in.

I'm going to try a couple of different loads to see what the gun prefers. I'm starting out with Blackhorn 100gv and Barnes 250gr TMZ. I'll bump powder up/down depending on how it groups before I plan to try a different bullet. I'm also looking at a Hornady 250gr SST depending on the way the Barnes works out. CCI Magnum primers.

My main question at this point is about the blackhorn breech plug. Do I need to do anything special to it the first time I insert it? I seem to remember reading something about needing a wrench to seat it the first time? Edit to add: If I need to seat it, I just realized the plug tool is a separate order item, so I'll have to order one and wait for it. :wall:

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Looking forward to getting to know this rifle.
e058d877070fbfb1a68e5bf963c8b5b9.jpg
9cee61bde794c99edb48a69ece21fd70.jpg

Not sure how CVA does their Nitrate process, but it really is a great wearing, durable, and strong process. Lehigh ran some bolts through a Nitrate process several years ago. I have been using them since then. Today you would be hard pressed to even tell they have been used all these years. I figured on a bolt you would get areas showing wear - not so!!!

Get some good use out of your new rifle!

You need the wrench but to be honest, I usually use some channel locks to seat the breech plug the first time. Seat it hard and make sure it bottoms out. If you can't close the action with a primer in it or can't pull the hammer back you didn't seat it hard enough. What you're trying to do is fit the end of the breech plug to your barrel, so it takes some force.

I'd think about using the Barnes T-EZ instead of the TMZ. You'll have a real hard time getting the TMZ down a CVA bore.

Re: RE: Re: My new CVA Optima V2 Nitride

Muley Hunter said:
I'd think about using the Barnes T-EZ instead of the TMZ. You'll have a real hard time getting the TMZ down a CVA bore.

I need to pay attention to what I write...

57a4af54924e24be444d1428b5a66909.jpg

Good choice. You might also consider the 290gr T-EZ and see which one shoots the best. If you're just shooting deer and not taking long shots it won't matter. The 250gr will be fine.

They still dont include the wrench with the plugs for nitride guns. They are included with the others and they cost less.

I have some 290s, I am planning to try them just to see how the gun likes them.

But the majority of the places I hunt are treestand shots in the woods. 100 yards is a really long shot in those stands. Most of my shots are 50-75 at the most. I put down many a deer with a DRT shot out of the loaner MK85 I was using with 240gr hollow points. I think you're right, the 250s will get the job done. (That's Plan A, anyway)

GM54-120 said:
They still dont include the wrench with the plugs for nitride guns. They are included with the others and they cost less.

Yep. My first disappointing realization this morning.

I would not even spend the extra on tipped Barnes bullets for closer range shooting. Just get some Expander MZs or 250gr XPBs and a pack of Harvester smooth "short black sabots" The XPBs are under a buck each. Even with a 18cent sabot they will still be under a buck a shot.

Grafs
$16.98 per 20 XPBs
$5.99 for 50 sabots
$7.95 flat rate shipping

The CVA BH 209 breech plug is ridiculous. I like to buy the one from Western. It not only comes with the wrench but also the proper drill to clean the flame channel but also a drill holder (pin vice) and some o-rings to shim the primer. It cost a bit more but is worth it.

To be honest. It's better to have a vent liner put in the stock breech plug. That way the breech plug will last forever.

Muley Hunter said:
You need the wrench but to be honest, I usually use some channel locks to seat the breech plug the first time. Seat it hard and make sure it bottoms out. If you can't close the action with a primer in it or can't pull the hammer back you didn't seat it hard enough. What you're trying to do is fit the end of the breech plug to your barrel, so it takes some force.

What Muley said. You can wrap a rag around the knurled part of the breech plug and use channel lock pliers to seat it the first time. Crank it down hard to make sure it forms the sealing lip and after that finger pressure is all you need. I have found the 290 TEZ to shoot a bit better in my CVAs. If you like monolithic bullets, I have also had great success with the Hornady Monoflex and Cutting Edge Bullets 250 gr Maximus. I also have found that generally, The CVA rifles load and shoot better with smooth sabots than with crush ribs. For most .45 bullets, the Harvester short, smooth black and for most .44 bullets, the Harvester smooth green.

GM54-120 said:
I would not even spend the extra on tipped Barnes bullets for closer range shooting. Just get some Expander MZs or 250gr XPBs and a pack of Harvester smooth "short black sabots" The XPBs are under a buck each. Even with a 18cent sabot they will still be under a buck a shot.

Grafs
$16.98 per 20 XPBs
$5.99 for 50 sabots
$7.95 flat rate shipping

Thank you for this info. I'll keep that in mind. The main reason I went with the TEZs this time around is that was what was in stock. It was those or Powerbelts, and I didn't feel like spending even more on bullets.

Muley Hunter said:
The CVA BH 209 breech plug is ridiculous. I like to buy the one from Western. It not only comes with the wrench but also the proper drill to clean the flame channel but also a drill holder (pin vice) and some o-rings to shim the primer. It cost a bit more but is worth it.

To be honest. It's better to have a vent liner put in the stock breech plug. That way the breech plug will last forever.

Unfortunately, there is no Nitride version available from them.

Did you already buy it from CVA? If not you should ask Ron if he'll put a vent liner in your stock BP.

LaTuFu said:
Muley Hunter said:

Unfortunately, there is no Nitride version available from them.
The black CVA breech plugs are not nitride treated either. They are simply the stainless steel breech plugs with a black coating. If having a stainless steel breech plug in a nitride treated barrel bothers someone, they can simply get the regular stainless one and paint it black themselves.

The Tez should work well. In my Optima I needed to use the Harvester short smooth black. Pack the bullet/sabot on top of the blackhorn as tight as you can. If you have the time I would also go with the vent liner.

Congratulations on the new rifle!

If you don't have the breech plug wrench to seat the new plug for the first time, I would use leather wrapped around the plug if you go with the suggested Channellocks.

Nitride process. CVA has been doing this for over 4 years. Now the others are following the leader.

https://youtu.be/xHRGM9PH5eo

Roger Raglin on Nitride barrels, back in 2014 when it was only available in the Accura MR & V2. Now you can get the Nitride treated barrels in every model of muzzleloader in the CVA lineup, from the Accuras to the Wolf.

https://youtu.be/oBm8bPAzNco

Enjoy your new rifle!

I just remembered another way I used to tighten a new breech plug. I used the handle of a pair of pliers. Just stick the end of one of the handles on the plier in the slot. The same slot you put the wrench in. It works good, is free, and won't bugger up the knurled part of the breech plug from using channel locks.

I recently purchased an Accura from the same company as well as the Blackhorn plug. Mine also did not come with a wrench. I first called CVA and the said it should have been with it. They took my info and put one in the mail. Not being one to get gyped , I called the dealer and complained and was told they don't sell the plugs with them and I quickly corrected him as I had seen the plugs sold with them at the local sporting goods store. I had a second one in the mail and an apology. I couldn't wait to shoot the gun so I found a large screwdriver that fit and made my own wrench. Like the man said, turn it tight then back it off. Now finger tighten and make sure it closes and cocks. I wonder why they don't make the plugs to fit without all of this do it your self stuff? :huh?:

Well, we've all been getting ripped off. I bought 4 CVA BP's and none came with a wrench. The only one was a Western.

btw..A tibit you may not know. Western designed the BH 209 breech plug and CVA copied it.

Back