My Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken is Worthless!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoose

Reaction score
Like the title says, My Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken 54 cal is worthless..... on a trade, according to a couple of gunshops in PA... I recently took a couple hour drive to lay my hands on a couple new Henry's in 45-70. I had cash in the rat hole to pay, but when I talked to the first shop the evening before the trip they told me they took in trades when I asked... anyway, I looked at the Henry's and then proceed to pull out the caplock... they quickly told me that they wouldn't take it... I asked if it wasn't worth anything to them and they told me that was correct... I asked about how much wiggle room on the two rifles I looked at, one new around $900 with tax and one used near $1,000 with tax... said that their sticker price was the bottom line... I left, deciding that they didn't need my money... on the way home I saw a couple large billboards saying that they paid cash for guns... so I took a little detour and lo and behold, one of the Henry's I was looking for was staring my from across the counter... it was even $30 cheaper... all was well until I started to pull the hawken out of the case.. I didn't even get it out and they told me they didn't take muzzleloaders... I said your billboards said that they paid cash for guns... to which I was informed that the muzzleloader wasn't a gun according to federal law... guess they didn't need any of my money either... I was in no hurry for the Henry, will work on reducing my current inventory of rifles I no longer use and will have them sold for more than the shops would have given me.... even if, they would trade... since they were not "guns"... when I did challenge that statement the guy behind the counter said it was their policy because there were too many safety issues with muzzleloaders... I know the smell of crap, I stepped carefully out of the building so I didn't track any of it into my truck..

Now, I feel better.... have a good day.

TheMoose

Muzzleloaders are a REALLY tough one to Re sell/Trade to just any Gun Shop, Unless it is a “Specific” Type of Shop that deals in Muzzleloaders and understands them. I am in out of Pawn Shops as often as i get the chance to, I love to go in and check out the Muzzleloader Section :yeah: One of the Larger ones (HUGE Gun dept.) I go in on occasion made the Mistake of over speaking to a new employ about the pricing on their Tags, i heard it clearly :D it is a Series of numbers and letters, and how to decipher what they Paid for the Gun, After hearing that i walked around and picked up SEVERAL High dollar guns just to See what they had Paid? :D The Muzzleloaders were UNREAL, 2 Old Pre Warning Renegades that were in Darn good Shape were 50 and 55 Dollars, They were asking 250, and 275 for them. They know Within close reason what these Guns are worth, But they aren’t gonna give you anything for them

There is No way I would ever try and Sell, or trade 1 of my Muzzleloaders to a Typical Gun Store, Even with these Green Mountain LRH Barrels, or this Rice .45 Cal Which is the highest dollar Muzzleloader barrel i own, Every rifle i own has Nice Peep sight setups on them, I would wager a LARGE bet that They wouldn’t even give me what the Sights are worth for the entire Rifle.

If i ever did decide to try and sell 1 of my Guns it would be on these Forums Where guy’s understand them, and their Worth/Value.

This is a pic of just “Some” of the Guns at 1 of the Shops i mention above, they have 3 of these Stores no more than 20 miles of eachother, As you can clearly see they have done well :D
KQcLUYdl.jpg

yeah muzzleloaders are a hard sell unless the store is pretty much muzzleloader specific and as Lewis said they still wont want to give a lot for them.. Around me they are becoming a thing of the past quickly since rifles are now legal..muzzys are popping up in local classifieds daily pretty cheap.. there's a T/C Black Diamond, camo stock blued barrel and a 3x9 scope for 100.00, from the pics the guy sent me it looks in really good shape but I already have 3 and don't really need another one.

Forum Members “MSalyards” and “shguns” Know EXACTLY where the Shops Above are :D If you 2 are interested in knowing how to Decipher their Price tags to see what they actually paid? PM me and I will tell ya how to do it :yeah:

That First Row in the pic above is full of Muzzleloaders, i have stood their many times in last few years :D One of Their other stores (I frequent mostly) has more Guns than this One does, by a good measure.

Imagine how many of Grandpa’s Old Guns ended up in these places, with ZERO care

If you ever go to a public gun auction or estate sale of a deceased gun crank and they have a few muzzleloaders, the gun buying public ignores them. The auctioneers can barely get a bid on a muzzleloader whether inline or side hammer in my area. Most used ML'ers have pitted, frosted, rusty bores at such sales in my experience. The Pedersoli Rocky Mnt. is an excellent rifle and way more valuable than some used Savage bolt action but there are few buyers for the Pedersoli and tons for the Savage.

admiral said:
If you ever go to a public gun auction or estate sale of a deceased gun crank and they have a few muzzleloaders, the gun buying public ignores them. The auctioneers can barely get a bid on a muzzleloader whether inline or side hammer in my area. Most used ML'ers have pitted, frosted, rusty bores at such sales in my experience. The Pedersoli Rocky Mnt. is an excellent rifle and way more valuable than some used Savage bolt action but there are few buyers for the Pedersoli and tons for the Savage.

I hear ya admiral!! My uncle is a Retired State Trooper, He has bought out MANY estate Gun sale deals, I have bought things from him that came from them. He called me one time years ago to come down and have a look, his Closed garage was literally setup like a Garage Sale. He had just bought out a HUGE Gun/Reloading estate Sale, He said the Man had a very nice Secure Room built outside of his very well kept Home, That Room was Completely loaded with Guns, and Reloading Supplies, My uncle bought the entire Room. I ended up buying 30,000 Primers, Several boxes of Reloading Bullets, And the old Guy’s Reloading Manuals. It was a year or so later, i was going through 1 of the Old Nosler Loading Manuals (No. 3) I found a Folded piece of yellow writing paper at the .270, or 280 Remington? The Old Guy had meticulously written down Load Data for his Rifle. Sad when you really think about it! You would think this stuff should have went to his Family?

Things like this are becoming more and more meaningless as time goes on, different day and age we are living in

Lew, do you remember the MK85 that buddy of mine got? He used it one season and sold it. He just wasn't into it. He wanted 300 and I told him I could sell it. I asked 500 for the rifle. A guy i talked to on the phone offered 400. He showed up and shot it. He increased his offer by 20 dollars because he hit the target out to 200 yards. He got the gun, cleaning kit. He got powder, bullets, wads everything for 420. Plus the rifle was sighted in out to 200 yards in 50 yard increments. Both were happy.

idahoron said:
Lew, do you remember the MK85 that buddy of mine got? He used it one season and sold it. He just wasn't into it. He wanted 300 and I told him I could sell it. I asked 500 for the rifle. A guy i talked to on the phone offered 400. He showed up and shot it. He increased his offer by 20 dollars because he hit the target out to 200 yards. He got the gun, cleaning kit. He got powder, bullets, wads everything for 420. Plus the rifle was sighted in out to 200 yards in 50 yard increments. Both were happy.

Ron, I do remember that Rifle!! Remember i almost bidded on that same gun until i talked to you, and you told me about a friend of yours trying to buy it so i backed away from it. I am glad it worked out and has a good home! These poor Muzzleloaders have a REALLY REALLY hard time finding a Good home :(

Ya that picture of the gun tracks looks familiar lol :wink:

shguns said:
Ya that picture of the gun tracks looks familiar lol :wink:

I figured so :D A few of my GM LRH Barrels found permanent Beds from them Racks :yeah:

I need to find one of those shops with a 54 renegade flinter or 58 for cheap since they are worthless.

phoenman said:
I need to find one of those shops with a 54 renegade flinter or 58 for cheap since they are worthless.

LOL! That’s the catch about these places, they will give you virtually nothing for these Blackpowder rifles, But when they do put 1 on their Rack it becomes Gold, and they want a Small Fortune for them :wall:

Guys, I kind of expected that I was going to get(I need to censor here) when I went in... I'm 70 now and over the last 50+ years of trying to deal with dealers in shops or at gun shows, well let's just say, no I will get banned for saying that too! My late cousin and I figured out what our marketing strategy was years ago... BUY HIGH, SELL LOW AND WORK ON VOLUME!! It almost never fails, when I am looking for a particular rifle or shotgun they are rare, hard to get and on the high end of pricing... but lo and behold, if I try to sell or trade the same item, even within 12 months it somehow has gone to, "nobody wants them anymore, they're allover the place, you would have to almost give it away".... so if you are thinking of trading you don't want to choose any of my picks cause you'll get abused too. I do a whole lot better at gunshows selling or trading to guys like us, not dealers.

TheMoose

themoose said:
Guys, I kind of expected that I was going to get(I need to censor here) when I went in... I'm 70 now and over the last 50+ years of trying to deal with dealers in shops or at gun shows, well let's just say, no I will get banned for saying that too! My late cousin and I figured out what our marketing strategy was years ago... BUY HIGH, SELL LOW AND WORK ON VOLUME!! It almost never fails, when I am looking for a particular rifle or shotgun they are rare, hard to get and on the high end of pricing... but lo and behold, if I try to sell or trade the same item, even within 12 months it somehow has gone to, "nobody wants them anymore, they're allover the place, you would have to almost give it away".... so if you are thinking of trading you don't want to choose any of my picks cause you'll get abused too. I do a whole lot better at gunshows selling or trading to guys like us, not dealers.

TheMoose

I hear ya!! The worst hobby i ever got into for Resale was Archery, I Shot Mathews Bows (Stil do) i was that guy that had to Sell his 1 year old Bow every year to buy the Newest model, Those Bows were around 600 when i started with Mathews, and 900-1,000 at the end. All i could ever expect to get back out of a 1 Yr old Bow was about Half of what i had paid, i did this for 6-7 years. I would take the loss, and move on :wall:

My Dad came up with a BRILLIANT idea many years ago (25 years or more) to get in to the Cattle business, Along with his Normal Job. He Bought a DARN nice Herd of Whiteface/Hereford Cattle from a local Farmer that was Just to Old to keep doing it, At that time Cattle was at an all time High :D Dad paid Tip Top Dollar! The very next year the Bottom Fell out of the Cattle industry :lol: It’s not funny! But it kinda is :lol: He kept them Cows and wintered them for 2 or 3 Years in hopes of the Market making a Recovery, NOPE! Instead of wintering them over another year He decided to Sell, He Hauled that Herd of SUPREME Cattle down to the Auction/Sale barn and Watched them sell for nearly nothing.

Don’t feel Bad, it’s happened to a BUNCH of us!

On a Side Note, Why not list the Pedersoli on these Forums? At least it will be seen by guy’s that understand Muzzleloaders, Just takes 1 Right guy and you both are Happy :yeah:

Having been in the antique business for several years, I learned that there's always someone who will pay a high price. Always. But as a dealer, to stay in business I could not humor paying market retail, ever. Shops are working on mark-up value and buy at a level that will allow them at least 45% in mark-up from the purchasing price. Pawn shops at one time were havens for bargains but not any more. Gun shops and pawn shops are tough places to shop or sell or trade even. Gun shows might be a bit better but selling personally will get you the best money for a clean gun. And you can buy much better by dealing with individuals than a shop of any kind.

[/quote]

On a Side Note, Why not list the Pedersoli on these Forums? At least it will be seen by guy’s that understand Muzzleloaders, Just takes 1 Right guy and you both are Happy :yeah:[/quote]

Exactly. Sell the rifle where the correct audience is. I've seen at these estate sales where the children just want to quickly sell Dad's "gun stuff" and end up getting pennies on the dollar for it. If they were inclined to do the research and work of listing the items on the correct internet sites they could turn Dad's "gun stuff" into a nice payout. Instead they just want it out of their hair ASAP and end up with $10k out of his lifetime collection that would bring $40-50K. That .54 Rocky Mnt. Hawken is selling for $1300 on sale right now at Cabela's.

admiral said:
I've seen at these estate sales where the children just want to quickly sell Dad's "gun stuff" and end up getting pennies on the dollar for it. If they were inclined to do the research and work of listing the items on the correct internet sites they could turn Dad's "gun stuff" into a nice payout. Instead they just want it out of their hair ASAP and end up with $10k out of his lifetime collection that would bring $40-50K

Sad, But VERY VERY True, I have first hand witnessed this on SEVERAL occasions. This story is different, but happens as well. I helped sell an entire gun collection for a lifelong, yet distant Friend of mine, 125-150 Guns. I had no idea at the time, But this friend had gotten in to Drugs. Gun safes and all were sold. HUGE Coin Collection. Family heirlooms LONG GONE, Up his Nose. This same guy ended up in Prison. The last i heard about him, he Rides a Bicycle, and Owes everyone in the Country that knows him Money. This guy had a BEAUTIFUL Wife, 2 Boys, Big Fancy Log Home on Acreage with his own Lake! New Cars, Etc. Etc. His family owns a Huge Lumber Co. and he worked for them as a Boss of Sorts :D making 300K a year, He had life by the Balls, He now has nothing

I defiantly know that spot Lewis. I've seen them in both stores take guns for a dime on the dollar. I have been thinking lately of how I would like my things disposed of when I pass as I have no kids. A possible donation to SCI or the local Ducks unlimited org may be in order if I can't find a kid that is outdoor crazy.

Here's another sad but true estate sale fact. Your mounts (taxidermy) are worthless. Almost all deer/elk shoulder mounts go in the dumpster after the sale. I've seen it too many times. Sometimes a moose head will sell for a few dollars. I saw a buffalo robe bring $300 once. That was the most I ever saw any taxidermy bring. Bear rugs are $50-75. Life sized anything gets tossed. And African game? Worth even less than nothing. Yes, your kids will throw your mounts in the garbage.

admiral said:
Here's another sad but true estate sale fact. Your mounts (taxidermy) are worthless. Almost all deer/elk shoulder mounts go in the dumpster after the sale. I've seen it too many times. Sometimes a moose head will sell for a few dollars. I saw a buffalo robe bring $300 once. That was the most I ever saw any taxidermy bring. Bear rugs are $50-75. Life sized anything gets tossed. And African game? Worth even less than nothing. Yes, your kids will throw your mounts in the garbage.

We Sure haven’t brought much Hope to this Thread huh? :lol: :lol:

I am guilty of the above, I feel bad about it today, but nothing i can do now. My Dad Gave me a Cougar Hide about 25 years ago that he had made into a Wall Rug, It was the 1st Cougar he had ever Got, Dad ended up being involved in literally hundreds of Cougars with his Hound dogs years later when the population BOOMED, But the one he had Mounted on the Wall was his very first Cougar. I grew up seeing it on a living room Wall, When Dad Gave it to me he told to do whatever i wanted to with it, that he didn’t Care anything about it. I was about 20 Years old, That thing meant Nothing to me at the Time, Nor did i have anywhere to put it. I sold it for 100 bucks.
Dad also gave me a REALLY nice Ruger No. 1 30-06 with a nice Steel Williams Peep sight that he had mounted on it back in that same time, i ended up trading that gun for a Remington model 700 .280 Mountain Rifle that ended up not Shooting worth a Darn, i have Neither of them today. Moral of the story, You NEVER know what kids are gonna do? Decisions they might regret down the rd, or maybe they won’t?

Latest posts

Back