N120 Misfires

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

Reaction score
First misfire with my 10mlII after 774 shots. I was going to harvest a medium size doe this morning and fill my antlerless tag. Pulled the trigger and all I heard was a fizz. For the last three days I have loaded my gun let it sit for 24 hours and then shoot it once. All three times the gun preformed flawlessly. Went to get this doe and no bang. The only thing that was different then my tests is that the gun was loaded for 16 hours and the temperature was 30 degrees cooler. I sure do hope it was something else and not a temperature sensitivity issue because N120 sure does shoot well. Has anyone else had a misfire with N120? Oh by the way I reseated the bullet (it went about half way down the barrel) and managed to shoot another medium size doe. I really didn't expect it to shoot well, but it dropped her in her tracks at 65 yards. She was facing me. Golf ball size hole in no out. Have not found the 300g Barnes Original Semi Spitzer.

Update
I skinned the deer and found that is was a complete passthru length wise. Went in the chest and exited the the back of the ham.

Nor have I.

A clean breechplug, a .033 ventliner, and Federal 209A primers-- I don't know how a sabot seated with 40 ft./lbs could fail to fire, unless loaded for several days / allowing the barrel to sweat.

Trigger said:
The only thing that was different then my tests is that the gun was loaded for 16 hours and the temperature was 30 degrees cooler.

BINGO, That is the reason exactly. The temperture is the key with N110 and N120. This is why i have chose not to buy it so far.

RandyWakeman said:
A clean breechplug, a .033 ventliner, and Federal 209A primers-- I don't know how a sabot seated with 40 ft./lbs could fail to fire, unless loaded for several days / allowing the barrel to sweat.

The breech plug had three shots through it since it was cleaned last. The ventliner measured .031 with 24 shots through it when I cleaned it, I thought it was a .033. It didn't bother me though since it was shooting well. My cheapo drill bits from ebay that I use to measure the ventliners with could be wrong also. I used a Winchester primer. I seated the bullet with the same force and feel that I always have. I practiced on a scale to get the feel. It was 75 degrees when I loaded the 10mlII and 40 degrees when I shot it 16 hours later. As you say condensation could be the culprit. I am pretty sure the breechplug, ventliner, and seating pressure were up to par. Either condensation, primer, or temp must have been the problem. I will try to duplicate the situation when I get a chance if the weather stays the same. Until then I will be shooting then reloading my gun, for the next days hunt.

Trigger said:
Either condensation, primer, or temp must have been the problem. I will try to duplicate the situation when I get a chance if the weather stays the same. Until then I will be shooting then reloading my gun, for the next days hunt.

No way was it the powder. It was most likely a weak primer. If you reseated the same bullet without reloading, reprimed and it went bang-- it was a soft primer. Contaminated powder isn't going bang if you try that 20 times.

A good primer and clean breechplug will shoot fire out past the end of your muzzle with nothing in the bore.

RandyWakeman said:
No way was it the powder. It was most likely a weak primer. If you reseated the same bullet without reloading, reprimed and it went bang-- it was a soft primer. Contaminated powder isn't going bang if you try that 20 times.

You hit the nail on the head here Randy. I have NEVER had a second primer set off a fouled load... ever! I would agree 100% that it was a bad primer!

Tom, 40 degrees F would not be cold enough to see a decrease in velocity or misfires - -40 F maybe..

Listen guys this whole thing about temperature sensitivity is way overblown.

Grouse said:
I wont argue that. The question is, why are there so many mis-fires with this powder?

There aren't.

I'm on my 11th pound-- ZERO misfires. Savage Shooter-- ZERO misfires. Trigger had one misfire, period. Art Seaman-- ZERO misfires. How is that "so many?"

I had three misfires with 5744 last week-- it wasn't the powder.

There is only one reasonably common powder that can be fussy, and that is IMR-4227. Still, with a clean breechplug and a snugly fitting sabot-- there are those who have used it for over four years with zero problems.

If you shoot long enough, with enough guns, you'll get a misfire sooner or later. I have with both Pyrodex and Triple 7. :shock:

I have also had misfires with N120 with a sloppy end breech plug, went back to 5744, 300 foot less FPE at 100 yards and 150' FPS slower, but a buck doesn't know how fast you missed em, Right RW!
Jeff!!

typical10 said:
I have also had misfires with N120 with a sloppy end breech plug, went back to 5744, 300 foot less FPE at 100 yards and 150' FPS slower, but a buck doesn't know how fast you missed em, Right RW!
Jeff!!

There are alot of people including yourself with mis-fires. A clean Breech plug and a new vent-liner should be a must at the start of Hunting season. 5744 in my mind is the best powder to use with the gun. I should really never have an issue with ignition. If i did, i would find another powder to use.

typical10 said:
but a buck doesn't know how fast you missed em, Right RW!
Jeff!!

They don't care a great deal, that's for sure. :shock:

I've never been a member of the bullet or powder of the week club, for any reloading I've ever done. Normally, it is try it all, then attempt to make an informed choice. In muzzleloading, I experiment a bit more for obvious reasons.

Opinions are formed over time, and by shooting with 10ML-II's-- not my keyboard, nor parroting what might be touted elsewhere. Selecting a personal favorite powder is based on performing powder testing for Accurate Arms, Alliant, Vihtavouri and others . . . as well as discussions with senior ballisticians. As a result, I've spent substantial trigger time with 2400, Reloder 7, N105, N110, N120, N130, N133, N135, 5744, 4759, 2015, etc., inclusive of powders that have not yet been put on the market.

There is no doubt in my mind that, for 300 gr. saboted bullets, N120 is the best propellant you can use. There are reasons for everything.

It gives a better, more complete burn than 5744, H322, 2015, N130, N133, etc., and leaves behind less fouling as a result.

It gives you better velocity than you can accurately get with 5744, 4759, or N110 with 300 grain bullets-- with far less pressure than all of them. That means flatter trajectory and more striking energy at all ranges, less wind drift as well.

N120 has a dramatically lower heat of explosion than 5744, N110, 4759, and even H322, 2015, N130, Reloder 7, etc. That translates to less ventliner erosion, and over 10,000 shots or more . . . longer barrel life as well.

It is the easiest powder on the complete system you can use, the accuracy and reliability have been outstanding for me, and it inflicts less punishment on sabots than any comparable powder.

N120 is my top choice, and those are reasons why.

On the condensation thing, Correct me if I am wrong but condensation forms on cold articles going to warm places not hot too cold. Remember the milk bottle coming out of the refrigerator.
Redclub

Latest posts

Back