NEF or Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head Hunter

Reaction score
I am going to buy myself a new muzzleloader. I probably won't get to hunt with it this year, but want to be ready for next year. I really don't want to spend too much money right now so I have been thinking about getting an NEF in stainless or the blued Omega. What are the benefits of stainless over blued. Would I be better served with either one of these. I will be putting a Leupold 2-7 on it. I have heard the NEF ramrod isn't that great, but is that a reason not to go with the NEF. Any idea which would shoot better - I have researched this and both seem to have very good reputations. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Headhunter,
I've got a stainless Sidekick, and the reason I went stainless on my last 2 BP guns is because the dirt/crud is easier to see. This makes getting the gun totally clean an easier proposition in my opinion. Yes, the ramrod leaves something to be desired, but one trick you can use is to carry a short piece of dowel to substitute for the extendable portion of the rod. At the range, I use a range rod any way, my factory rod gets very little use. I can't speak for the Omega, haven't ever fired one, but I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I myself would go with the NEF in stainless. Stainless isn't totally rust proof but I like the added protection and piece of mind it gives me. I think the NEF has a wood stock and I like the look of stainless with the wood. Just my 2 cents. I think they both shoot well when you find a suitable load for them.

Both Muzzleloaders you chose would be great choices. I would highly suggest the Knight Disc Elite if you could find one. $200.00 bucks is about the price now if you can find one. IMO They are far superior to any other 777 Muzzleloader.

Which Muzzleloader??

The T/C Omega is going to be phased out of production to be replaced
by the new "Triumph" and the new gun will carry a retail price tag less than the Omega. Don't get to excited the new gun likely not to be shipped until summer of 2007. This time frame is customery for T/C. :twisted:

There will be Omega closeouts from distributors and or dealers over the next few months. Since you do not need the gun today it gives you the opportunity to SHOP. :D

Get what ever gun you chose in stainless, while not completely moisture proof it is easier to care for.

Choc-dog

That's an easy answer. I've owned one Sidekick and now on my third Omega. If you can afford an Omega, that's the one to get. Reasons:

1. The Omega is a better thought out design.. Instead of starting with a clean slate like T/C did with the Omega...NEF made the old design work.
2. The breechplug on my Sidekick wouldn't come out without taking the rifle down.
3. Necessary primer carriers with the Sidekick.
4. Hammer VERY close to scope ocular on Sidekick. I had to change scopes.
5. Plenty of primer residue in the action to clean with the Sidekick.
6. Ramrod not full length and a little screwy.
7. Buttstock to action fit can develop a little play...
8. Screwball breechplug tool..

Thanks for the feedback. I found a stainless Omega on Gunbroker.com that had a camo stock for $369. I think it normally retails around $429 so I thought it was a good deal. I am not ready to jump just yet, but close. I think I will follow the advice here and go with stainless.

Big6x6,

Yeah, but didn't the NEF shoot like a house of fire? :wink:

Whitesmoke

Re: Which Muzzleloader??

choc-dog said:
The T/C Omega is going to be phased out of production to be replaced
by the new "Triumph" and the new gun will carry a retail price tag less than the Omega. Don't get to excited the new gun likely not to be shipped until summer of 2007. This time frame is customery for T/C. :twisted:

There will be Omega closeouts from distributors and or dealers over the next few months. Since you do not need the gun today it gives you the opportunity to SHOP. :D

Get what ever gun you chose in stainless, while not completely moisture proof it is easier to care for.

Choc-dog

Not according to T/C
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... ght=#43727

I have a stainless Omega and a blue NEF Huntsman. I replaced the ramrod on the Huntsman with one from Hubbard Outdoors and it is great easily twice as strong and two inches longer than the stock rod. I also bought the .25ACP conversion breechplug which gets rid of the screwey breechplug tool and the plastic carriers. I also bought the same type of breechplug for the Omega as handling the .25 brass is way better than trying to handle the small 209 primers. They are difficult to get out sometimes also. With the .25ACP you just grab it with your fingers and pull if it is starting to stick. Much more reliable. Personally I would go with the NEF in stainless over a blue Omega. I am starting to like the NEF better than the Omega which won't shoot Tripple Seven powder without a severe crud ring regardless of what fixes I add. I own both and the NEF is less picky as to what will load in the barrel also. The T/C will only allow very small bullets in very thin sabots. None of the stock T/C combinations will load in my Omega. The NEF will load almost anything that is on the shelf and seems to shoot every bit as well as the Omega.

I own both and both have there place ease of cleaning goes to nef I have 25 acp for both. Long range the omega is better. but that is atributed to barrel length. The nef for the money is the superior weapon just becaust of price and ease of cleaning but they are both great rifles I would have a hard time chosing between them

Dear mattwv

Dear MattWV,

T/C generally continues to catalog rifles no longer in production just to clean up wharehouse inventory. T/C continues production until most of the parts are used and reserving some for repair/replacement issues.

T/C continues to catalog the .45 cal Encore yet try to find one. They are a dead issue as for as T/C's distributors and dealers are concerned.

The new Triumph rifle will have the same effect on the omega as the
pro hunter had on the standard encore this year.

The gun buying public will replace one gun with the other.

The good news for all of us is the choices we have. :D :D

Going Stainless

Ok, I have decided I am going to go stainless. With that being said, would you choose the NEF or the Omega?

big6x6 said:
That's an easy answer. I've owned one Sidekick and now on my third Omega. If you can afford an Omega, that's the one to get. Reasons:

1. The Omega is a better thought out design.. Instead of starting with a clean slate like T/C did with the Omega...NEF made the old design work.
2. The breechplug on my Sidekick wouldn't come out without taking the rifle down.
3. Necessary primer carriers with the Sidekick.
4. Hammer VERY close to scope ocular on Sidekick. I had to change scopes.
5. Plenty of primer residue in the action to clean with the Sidekick.
6. Ramrod not full length and a little screwy.
7. Buttstock to action fit can develop a little play...
8. Screwball breechplug tool..

9. Supplies(breech plug, primer carriers, etc) not available at common retailers(Midsouth,others).
10. When action is fouled by primer residue, action may not close properly and may even OPEN upon firing! :shock:
11. Action is actually nickel plated, only barrel is stainless steel.
12. The Omega set the standard for an easy to clean muzzleloader and it still IS the standard by which all others are judged.

Ok, I have decided I am going to go stainless. With that being said, would you choose the NEF or the Omega?

The NEF Sidekick is a really good $200.00 muzzleloader, but an Omega it ain't. Go for the Omega stainless... You WON'T be sorry!

I have been shooting a NEF for the last three years. It does have some draw backs that have been mentioned. I also use the 25 ACP breech plug whick resloved any problems I have with the gun. I also have an Encore which is a very nicely designed gun. As far as the range goes they are equal. I can get MOA from both. I paid $100.00 for my NEF and $600.00 for the Encore. Both will do the same thing at the range or field one just cost more and feels better in the hands.

Thanks for the tip loaded4bear, I saw this same tip posted a day or so ago and bought myself a stainless Omega. I have never seen a price so low! I appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back