New bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck1234

Reaction score
i have a Cva optima v2 I’ve been shooting tc shockwave 250 grain and 777 gun shoots them good but just too hard to load in my opinion. I have always shot maxi balls this gun will not shoot them very disappointing.

I would try other bulllets but have no clue what to try. Have read horror story’s about power belt whichmayjust be stories thank for any help

i have a Cva optima v2 I’ve been shooting tc shockwave 250 grain and 777 gun shoots them good but just too hard to load in my opinion. I have always shot maxi balls this gun will not shoot them very disappointing.

When you say, too hard to load, is that from a clean barrel or a fouled? If from a fouled bore you have a 777 crud ring issue. Did you try stabbing the bore when it becomes harder to load?

I was using Blue MZ pellets and the 250 gr Shockwaves, with yellow super glide sabots. Each reload after the first shot was exponentially harder until it was almost impossible to load.

If I don’t run a patch through the barrel after a shot I can’t load it. It seams too hard the first shot. I have never shot sabots before I bought this gun maybe just me.

If I don’t run a patch through the barrel after a shot I can’t load it. It seams too hard the first shot. I have never shot sabots before I bought this gun maybe just me.

Yep, thats called the crud ring. You either need to swab between shots or switch to a different powder such as Blackhorn209.

The Shockwave is made for TC by Hornady but they use a different sabot. Try the Hornady SST if you want to try nearly the same bullet with a easier loading sabot.

I clean my rifle after every practice shot and then bore butter the barrel during storage. My bullet of choice is the Barnes TEZ(?) in 290 grains. Never a problem loading.

About all you can do is try some different sabots. I found that the harvester crush ribs sabot and a 300 gr XTP didn't shoot well out of my Optima V2. I've bought some different sabots to try.

P_20190209_094426_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I also have a Optima V2 for the late ML season an rainy days. I have the rifle an pistol, like said above you will get a crud ring using a 209 primer, you will have to swab between shots in able to load its just the nature of T7. Please don't use bore butter it is only good for a bullet lube an that's about it!
I use BH209 in both of my Optima's with a Hornady .452/300gr. XTP in a Harvester crushrib sabot, super accurate with no loading issues and multiple shots, no swabbing needed. Try it you won't go back to T7 using a 209 primer!!
Triple 7 is best used with a #11 cap there is no crud ring or very little and no swabbing needed.

Switch to the Hornady SST’s with the red sabots. They shoot great out of my CVA Optima V2. I have loaded that gun 4 times without cleaning between shots. I normally run a cleaning patch and a dry patch between every shot. But I was on a special hunt and could kill 3 deer and had deer all over me. The 4th shot was hard though there wouldn’t of been a 5th. I was shooting a 3 777 pellets a 150grs.

My TC Prohunter don’t like the shockwave sabots even on a clen barrel. But I have shot 3 of the Hornady SST’s without cleaning.

When you say, too hard to load, is that from a clean barrel or a fouled? If from a fouled bore you have a 777 crud ring issue. Did you try stabbing the bore when it becomes harder to load?

I was using Blue MZ pellets and the 250 gr Shockwaves, with yellow super glide sabots. Each reload after the first shot was exponentially harder until it was almost impossible to load.

When I was using the 777, I had to just break down and totally clean the barrel after every shot, to get any consistency out of it. There are people on this forum, that have done other things and got good results, though. I switched to BH209 and ended my misery.

i have a Cva optima v2 I’ve been shooting tc shockwave 250 grain and 777 gun shoots them good but just too hard to load in my opinion. I have always shot maxi balls this gun will not shoot them very disappointing
It's not the bullet/sabot. It's the powder you are using. As others said, switch to BH209 and the problem will be solved or swab the barrel with a damp patch before reloading.

Personally I like 777 my self, I don’t see any probablems with it. It’s easy to clean you can put a cleaning patch in your mouth and get it wet in a pinch in the woods. The only thing I’m going to try is some loose 777 instead of pellets. I like the fact that I can carry around a totally clean gun and it will shoot right on the first shot. I like the smoke that comes out the barrel when I pull the trigger. I like going back to camp and cleaning my gun. That’s what muzzeloader season is supposed to be for me.

Back