New from Winchester, .350 Legend

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
This should be another popular one for the Michigan Limited Firearms Deer Zone. Great for the kids, ladies, and even us old farts. Basically a rimless .357 Max that will work in the AR's, bolts, and singles.

09997931-E022-4A58-A855-626C772F80D8.jpeg

Now Something like that would be PERFECT in a Compact Lightweight Single Shot, Light Recoil for Women and Kids, and a pleasure in Brush Country. I hope it catches on!

Well at least it will be something new to hear about instead of the 450 Bushmaster ad nauseum on the Michigan Sportsman site.

Looks like an interesting cartridge. Not real surprising someone would get in the Straight walled market after seeing how well the straight walled cartridges were received in Shotgun only states. The only thing I see so far that I'm not crazy about is the Weight of the rifles it is being release in. I would think that they could release it in a lighter rifle package. Guess well have to wait to see what else comes from it.

He mentions the bullet bassinet as being .355 in this video, and the Winchester Rep either didn't hear it, or it went over his head. He didn't correct him.

Looks like the 140 grain FMJ's are going to be very reasonable at $9.99 / Box. The rest priced like .223 ammo. That is going to get a lot of attention, from a lot of people, including me. I would love to see CVA chamber it in the Scout V2.

WINCHESTER STEALS CARTRIDGE SHOW WITH NEW .350 LEGEND
01/23/19 8:00 AM | by Kristin Alberts

IMG_3762_cover.jpg

The .350 Legend rounds we fired on the range were these 150-grain Deer Season XP Extreme Points and 145-grain FMJ Target, though a 180-grain Power Point option will also be available. (Photo: Kristin Alberts/Guns.com)

Each year, one or two new cartridges steal the SHOT Show. This year, the accolade falls to Winchester, who kept things pretty well under wraps until Industry Day on the Range in Boulder City, Nevada. There, with 40+ MPH winds sending dust storms through the desert, shooters pulled the trigger for the first time on the .350 Legend.

The sole platform to chamber the new rounds is Winchester’s budget-friendly XPR bolt action line of hunting rifles, though more platforms are sure to join the fray. Three types of ammunition will be releasing simultaneously with the rifles. Naturally, these are all Winchester-brand ammunition, and they include: 145-grain FMJ Target rounds, 150-grain Deer Season XP Extreme Point, and 180-grain Power Point. While cost is often a prohibitive factor with new cartridge announcements, ammunition for the .350 Legend should be affordable, with FMJ’s slated to sell for $9.99.

IMG_3761.jpg

The folks at Winchester were tight lipped until the launch of the new round at SHOT Show, though multiple company spokespeople hunted whitetails successfully with the round prior to launch. Two of the three ammunition offerings are ideal for bigger game hunters. (Photo: Kristin Alberts/Guns.com)

The straight-walled .350 Legend immediately piques the interest of hunters, as it will be legal in 47 of 50 states with its design. The true straight wall is not necked up and would make it the fastest straight wall cartridge on the market. The bullet diameter is .357 inches with a shell case length of 1.71 inches.

Ballistics indicate the new Legend to have significantly more energy than both the .300 Blackout and .30-30 Win, with less recoil than both the .30-30 and .243. The tight-lipped folks over at Winchester claim to have taken several dozen deer during testing, with none making it further than 30-yards.

The XPR’s are available in a variety of finishes, but those shown off at Industry Day on the Range were black synthetic. While the caliber fires with low felt recoil and was punching out bullseyes at 200 yards, we thoroughly enjoyed firing one of the suppressed XPR’s in .350 Legend. Though there were no subsonic loads, the FMJ’s performed very well and recoil felt comparable to a .243 or less. Both the rifles and ammunition are slated to begin shipping in mid-to-late first quarter of 2019 at prices on par with XPR rifles of already existing calibers.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/01/23/winchester-steals-new-cartridge-show-with-350-legend

Last edited:
That case length is a tad longer then I was thinking it would be. It is longer than the .357 Max. I can see this really being a great round for a youth or small build ladies hunting rifle for deer and just a fun round to shoot for us all. Still like my .450 BM but have to say that being a guy that likes "Different/odd" calibers, I'll definitely be interesting in seeing how this one shoots.

I see lot of wounded deer, don't think it is heavy enough bullet wise. Maybe the 180grn

I'm surprised at the velocities. I sort of expected them to be a bit more. I get the same as that 150 is running out of my .450BM with a 250gn.

I'm surprised at the velocities. I sort of expected them to be a bit more. I get the same as that 150 is running out of my .450BM with a 250gn.

HandLoading for this new Round will tell the Tape, i Pay Very Little attention to Factory Ammo Velocities, The 300 RUM was my Biggest Teacher/influece here. It will be very interesting to see what Handloaders pull out of this new Cartridge.

HandLoading for this new Round will tell the Tape, i Pay Very Little attention to Factory Ammo Velocities, The 300 RUM was my Biggest Teacher/influece here. It will be very interesting to see what Handloaders pull out of this new Cartridge.

True. Those were just the first velocities I saw posted. But based on those GM54-120 was right on the mark, it looks like ballistics put it right on with a 35Rem. The 160 Power Max Bonded looks like an interesting bullet.

It's not new. The 357AR has been around for a while in wildcat. This is just a new factory offering. It performs basically like a rimless 357 Maximum in rifle length barrels. Winchester's ballistics are pretty much on par.

While i agree a 150gr in 35cal is a poor choice......Its virtually the same fps/fpe as a 35 Remington.

Handloading my 35 Rem gets 200 grain bullets almost to 2300 fps. If I need more, I switch to the .358 WSSM. It will push a 200 grainer over 2600 fps. But I get best accuracy right at 2615 with the 200 FTX.

My favorite elk rifle was 358 Winchester. Had a smith install a 35 barrel on a Ruger MKII Ultralight, chamber it for the 358, and cut it to 19". Carried that rifle many many miles. Bullet was 225g Partition at 2400fps; worked good. Killed more elk with the rifle than all the others put together.

My favorite elk rifle was 358 Winchester. Had a smith install a 35 barrel on a Ruger MKII Ultralight, chamber it for the 358, and cut it to 19". Carried that rifle many many miles. Bullet was 225g Partition at 2400fps; worked good. Killed more elk with the rifle than all the others put together.

The 358 WSSM exactly duplicates the 358 Winchester's performance in a brass length that matched Indiana's first legal "rifle cartridge" brass length restrictions. Legal cartridges had to be .35 caliber and larger with a case length no longer than 1.625" in the beginning. It has since been lengthened to 1.8" to still be usable on public land while cartridges .243 Win and larger are now allowed on private land only. Goofy. They will one day open up public to the same allowances on private hopefully!

Picture the 350 Legend in something like this. CZ offers the 527 in several configurations including a youth carbine and a American M1 with flush mag/synthetic stock too. The price seems high but when you compare it to what Ruger wants for the 77/44 and 77/357.

Latest posts

Back