New hunting truck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats kinda cool about it flapping, when you have a tail wind, you actually can feel it pushing you :lol:

NOT cool with a side wind however.

Lookin' good FG!

While we're talking Jeep...I just fished-up patchin' up my 2001 Jeep Cherokee.
20150509_134252%20-%20Copy_zpskz6x4ywc.jpg

Nothing like new suspension to pull my bass boat.  125,000 miles on my 4.0L Inline and going srong :)

Congrats to everyone on there nice rigs.

Wow, your fancy good looking rigs look nothing like mine. I guess I am just an old country boy that has well used rigs. My 88 jeep Cherokee with a 258cu I-6 has 201,000 miles and never been touched, hard to beat those engines and still gets great mileage.
My hunting rig is a 68 Bronco with a 170ci I-6. All scratched from trees and sagebrush with a few dents too. But reliable and has 110,000 original miles, mostly on back or no roads in rough country. My hunting tires have been drilled for twice the amount of factory holes and studded. Even then we have to chain up at times. No flat level roads around here.
Oh yeah, I am in the doghouse. Was driving my wife's Jeep Liberty yesterday when three WT bucks jumped out in front of me and I hit the middle one. Dented hood, broke grill, and lights plus the right fender. Lucked out and had no damage to radiator. Going to body shop next week.

Sorry about the deer damage.
I had a '69 Bronco with a 302 V8. Unfortunately, my stepfather got drunk and rolled it in '74. It was a scary proposition side-hilling in that narrow wheel-based, high centered thing. It always felt like it was going to roll. My stepfather rolled it by taking a turn too fast on a level highway.

Jonathan,
That "Blue Babe" is too nice for a hunting rig, use it for "dragging main" on Friday night and get an old clunker for hunting so dents and scratches won't keep you awake at night. :D
I see your Jeep does not have a right side mirror, no worries with top off. I would want one when a canvas or metal top was on and it may be required?

Bob,
I have LT 215/75 tires, anything larger would be too much for the 170ci plus raise the center of gravity. It also turns around on a time at dead end "trails".

John........Kind of true. This was my Jeep before using it for serious rock crawling, and now a hunting/fishing Jeep. I won't show any pics of it now.

Picture_001.jpg

Picture_002.jpg

Pete,
Great rig! Is there a kitchen sink in it too? :D For those of use that use our rigs know they won't stay in new condition forever, they are to be used.

Could it have a battle infraction or two from the Rubicon trail? I doubt many on here know what the Rubicon trail is or how Jeep came up with that name.

It appears I am the odd ball here with a Bronco. :(
It has been used as a ranch/hunting rig since I bought it 24 years ago for $1200.

John

Yes, I ran the Rubicon a few times. Plus, all the hammer trails, and many others. If you look at my plate frame you'll see it says Big Bear. That's where the pics were taking, and where I was living at the time.

muley,
who is the mfg and model on your tires??? I like the tread pattern. How are the holding up for in wear?? relative cost each??? Who sells them.
Thanks
Martin

Those were BFG Krawlers. Strictly for rock crawling. Terrible tires on the street. Those are long wore out in less than 8000 miles. Very soft rubber to grab the rocks.

Plus, they were expensive. Those wheels and tires were $3600.

Jonathan,
Did you have your tires siped? With knob type tires, I think it is a huge advantage having them siped. Better traction on wet and icy surfaces plus snow and mud. Some claim they get more mileage out of their tires too.

John Neslen said:
Jonathan,
Did you have your tires siped? With knob type tires, I think it is a huge advantage having them siped. Better traction on wet and icy surfaces plus snow and mud. Some claim they get more mileage out of their tires too.
No nothing like that. Its not a daily driver. Just for fishing trips, hunting/camping, stuff like that. I took it for its longest drive yet today with 3 extra people and it was a blast. Little sucker just purrs along. Got the steering all nice and tight, HD shackles up front really improved its handling in the corners. The originals were all bent out of shape and it would start some crazy fishtailing in the corners. I hit one corner today and tooked down at the speed and about crapped as I was doing 65 :lol:

I did find one weakness though. I am not a motion person, I freak out on roller coasters and such. Well, this jeep with no doors and our sharp curvy mountain roads got to me a couple times and I about freaked out :evil: Its just easier for me to slow down rather than lean out the door and about crap my pants.

I used to love roller coasters and the like. However, when I got to be about 60, I started getting nauseated with all that tossing around. I take it a lot easier now.

You still have 29 years to go. Do you get seasick easily too? If so, It maybe an inner ear problem.

patocazador said:
I used to love roller coasters and the like. However, when I got to be about 60, I started getting nauseated with all that tossing around. I take it a lot easier now.

You still have 29 years to go. Do you get seasick easily too? If so, It maybe an inner ear problem.
yeah, the last 2 cruises I have to take stuff to keep sea sickness away. I almost puked on a canoe in the ocean when I took a snorkeling tour, it was pretty damn bad.

Heights get me too.

"Heights get me too."

Move to Florida. The highest point in the whole state is 345 feet.

Back