New knight purchase

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me not legal. Lol. I wish. I have thought hard about the encore smokeless barrel and it is still an option. I do like the idea of the option of smokeless on out of state hunts.

That pic is dated 2007. There are a few states that have updated the regs over the years. Its worth checking.

In New Jersey I am just happy that I can use an inline. Worst state for hunting and gun regs

I had a 45 1-20 twist Mountaineer. I really like thumbnails stocks but the laminate on the Mountaineer didn't fit me like it should. I sold that stock and went in search of a synthetic I liked. I called Knight and the lady I talked to said they didn't have all the synthetic stocks in and wanted to know which one I was interested in. On a whim I threw out there that I wanted one of the Ulite stocks. There was some hesitation but she said they had one and it was $300. I was driving and couldn't get my card out of my wallet. Told her as soon as I got home if call back and order one. When I called back a guy answered and didn't want to sell me one. I had to explain a couple different times that I had just got off the phone with the lady that said I could order one and even had the order ready, I just needed to pay for it. Finally he told me I wasn't supposed to get one but since she had told me I could and all that he'd send it. That was a couple years ago and I know they've since added something that allows custom stuff but if you decide to go this route I don't know how hard it will be to get it set up the way you want.

That said, if you can get one I would definitely go with the 1-20 Mountaineer in the Ulite stock. That thing shot real well and was great to carry. I was shooting heavy conicals out of it and definitely appreciated the little extra weight. The Ulite stock made it balance real nice.

I have the exact gun you are asking about. Knight ultralite stock with a mountaineer .45 fast twist 1-20 barrel. I looked at buying the gun that way but chose to do it differently for a few reasons. I was interested in having both the .50 and .45 barrels for hunting different states. You can get the .50 ultralite considerably cheaper not buying directly from knight and then you can just buy the .45 fast twist mountaineer barrel directly from knight and it drops right in and fits perfectly.
If I remember right it was only about $100 more to buy the ultralite in .50 and then buy the .45 barrel separately when compared to just buying the ultralite/mountaineer barrel combination from knight.
I really like the combination and feel the ultralite stock is a better stock. The weight of the gun falls about right in between the weight of the ultralite and mountaineer which I like.

I have the exact gun you are asking about. Knight ultralite stock with a mountaineer .45 fast twist 1-20 barrel. I looked at buying the gun that way but chose to do it differently for a few reasons. I was interested in having both the .50 and .45 barrels for hunting different states. You can get the .50 ultralite considerably cheaper not buying directly from knight and then you can just buy the .45 fast twist mountaineer barrel directly from knight and it drops right in and fits perfectly.
If I remember right it was only about $100 more to buy the ultralite in .50 and then buy the .45 barrel separately when compared to just buying the ultralite/mountaineer barrel combination from knight.
I really like the combination and feel the ultralite stock is a better stock. The weight of the gun falls about right in between the weight of the ultralite and mountaineer which I like.
Thanks. That’s a great idea!

The muzzeloader barrel MGM makes isn’t smokeless. It’s just a regular 45cal muzzeloader for Encore or Contender. I haven’t ever bought a MGM muzzeloader barrel. But every MGM Center Fire rifle and pistol barrel I have for my Encore and Contender shoot under MOA easy.

MGM uses a 5R barrel. In other words it has 5 lands. Great for sabotless but might need some tinkering for sabots. Better off with a 8 land barrel for sabots.

Luke even mentions it for his MGM "Preferred" barrels. He sells both "Preferred" and the Brux which is a 6 land.

Please note, while typically these barrels shoot very well with 40cal bullets and sabots, factors like ambient temperature, time between shots, powder charge can all lead to detrimental accuracy with sabots. So accuracy with sabots is not guranteed. If you want the best performance, sabotless shooting is a must.

Last edited:
A aftermarket barrel on the Encore will not out shoot any Knight . I have competed against plenty of aftermarket barrels . I am not saying a Knight is better than a Encore with a MGM /Brux barrel but definitley not worse . In fact if we are talking extreme long range 300 yards and beyond i would definitley take the Knight over a Encore. That is if both rifles are shooting Black powder subs. If the Encore is shooting smokless then that is a completely different story. The Encore then would have a clear advantage.This is just my opionion I have both rifles . 2 Pro hunters and a Encore along with several Knights.

If the original poster is going to buy a Knight .I would go with a 1-20 .45 Ultralight. Lighter weight easier to maneuver in a tree stand. Not giving up that much speed with the shorter barrel.

I apologize I miss read a earlier post. A Encore with a smokless barrel will definitley shoot harder than a Knight.(with smokless powder)

Its somewhat funny. Even though my Pacnor Super Match Grade is butter smooth, i cant say it will out shoot my old Super DISC. That barrel alone was around $450 new.

Nothing says you have to shoot Smokeless from the barrel , should shoot black just as well or anyother Sub

Im in NJ and have several smokeless capable guns. they shoot black sub powders fine. A Knight will shoot with any of them. Some need a shim or 2 in the breechplug, but that's easy. the bestill plug is lifetime and perfect really.

I’m in nj also, pretty darn sure we can’t use smokeless, buddy buy the ultra lite, have them all and use my 52 lrh out of my box blinds I like the heavy stock guns in the box , but in the tree stand it’s the ultra lite or omega, good luck you won’t be disappointed with the way they shoot

Just checked the regs , can’t use smokeless in nj

J snake I have to disagree, we have a ton of hunting time , and I think a great deer heard, what zone do you hunt in , I hunt 48 and muzzleload till the end of January. That’s more than a lot of states, the zone next to me goes till February 9

J snake I have to disagree, we have a ton of hunting time , and I think a great deer heard, what zone do you hunt in , I hunt 48 and muzzleload till the end of January. That’s more than a lot of states, the zone next to me goes till February 9
Zone 29 area here and the over harvest with unlimited does for the past prob 15 years has hurt the hunting beyond belief. I am really afraid that as far as public land hunting I have no chance to get my kids into deer hunting. They will not like sitting in stand for hrs and not seeing a single deer a lot of times. It’s truly saf

Back