New Lehigh ML in the works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I have a 24” barrel now. I could go a little shorter but not too much. I had a 20” barrel on an encore but it was too short. Looked nice, but too short.

I'm beginning to think this new rifle is like sasquatch, it's there but nobody's seen it!

Grouse, since there's some information out there about the basics of it can you share some at least about the platform? It might help some.

If i had read that link before i got my first ML, i never would have done it. That makes it sound like a nightmare.

You're the winner for the best name. NIGHTMARE!

I guess they didn't learn anything from the Traditions / SilencerCo Maxim 50? Went over like a lead balloon.

Hopefully they did some extreme deviating from the patent?

Last edited:
Wait what?! Looking at those patent pics it’s got a permanent silencer on it like the Maxim 50???

If it’s what I think it is, it will garner a following. I’ll buy one.
If it’s what I think it will be I may even consider selling my smokeless Encore to get one, the gun I didn’t think I’d ever sell. That may be a stretch, but it’s a thought that’s crossed my mind.
If it’s what I think it is, there will be more info about it here. I saw something elsewhere and if I can put 2 and 2 together, I think I have it figured out but it’s not for me to say because it’s all hypothetical. I suspect Grouse May share about it soon if I’m right about it as the cats out of the bag at least on one other site.

Grouse, since there's some information out there about the basics of it can you share some at least about the platform? It might help some.

Im not having any luck finding this other info...got a link?

Well hold up... If it's anything like the one mentioned in that link, with the sound deadening and no breech plug etc - I retract my previous statement about purchasing one. I will not be purchasing all that hullabaloo. I don't think and really hope it's not anything like that. I'm guessing it will be more standard than that. This is probably an idea they had and patented as a just in case someday down the road.

I hope.

After closer reviewing the patent and included illustrations, I have come to the conclusion that this patent is not for a big bore / big game hunting rifle.

This patent is for a subsonic / suppressed low pressure small bore MINO (Muzzleloader In Name Only) small game / target rifle similar to a conventional pneumatic / springer air rifle. I say this because the only thing loaded from the muzzle is the bullet. The bullet is seated down through a drop tube that has to be inserted into the suppressed portion so the bullet can be inserted into the barrel portion and seated onto the "seat pin(s)". The rimfire primer module also includes the propellant and is inserted from the breech end. So, basically, a crimped or conical nosed cartridge from 1/2" to 3" in length, without a bullet. This is where the "muzzleloader" ends for me personally. When the propellant and bullet is no longer loaded through the muzzle, IMO, it is no longer a "muzzleloader". I don't care if it is just a small game / target / novelty rifle.

The seat pins and short 10" barrel would prevent it from being a serious higher pressure big bore hunting rifle. The seat pins are inserted by drilling a hole perpendicularly INTO the bore and the pin can be fastened in place by several different methods. Such as welding, threaded screw, epoxies, brazing, etc,. Once the wall of the bore, especially in the combustion area is compromised, this is no longer more than a low pressure rifle at that point alone. The patent provides for 1 up to 5 or 6 of these "seat pins". Sorry, but for a serious muzzleloader design, this one is all full of holes for me.

Obviously, the rifle being discussed in this thread, is not the same rifle depicted in that patent!

You got all that from those pictures? Well done sir. Makes me feel a little better about the ML being discussed here.

You got all that from those pictures? Well done sir. Makes me feel a little better about the ML being discussed here.

I got a lot more than that, but it was from more than just the illustrations. The reading is repetitive, and boring as heck, but I managed to struggle through it. Patents can be a real PITA to read and comprehend.

To me, a muzzleloader is completely loaded from the muzzle. Powder / pellet, patch / wad / shot cup / sabot, bullet / shot / projectile. The only thing loaded from the breech would be the ignition source, match, flint and pan powder, percussion cap, primer, primer module, etc,.

There was also provisions for putting that all in a bolt action configuration as well as the break action. It mentioned smooth bore, rifled bore, shot, and several different types of bullets / projectiles.

The next thing they'll want to do, is put the bullet into the end of that primer / powder cartridge and load that all from the breech. What is this world coming to?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back