New Lehigh ML in the works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will give you guys a hint

Dig threw the HausofArms facebook posts. They have a copy/paste from Dave Fricke. A tiny bit of info is in that post.

Here is a link, for those that can read it. From the illustrations in the patent, and the rimfire ignition source, I suspected it had to be something like the old Contenders with the rimfire, safe, and center fire selector hammers. I guess we'll see, when it's ready to be seen.

It was an excellent read, and sounds promising for the SSK-50, and regular muzzleloading barrels with a breech plug. For the suppressed muzzleloader with the "seat pins" and no breech plug, not so much!

At Haus of Arms FB page. Only 2 comments.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...5468&id=468080113256309&anchor_composer=false

It's better here at SSK, with more comments and follow ups. 79ish comments.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...4093&id=123710554320586&anchor_composer=false

My only concern is what they're doing to make it smokeless safe? Are they only going to recommend very reduced loads? Did they do something different to allow a thicker barrel? Perhaps they're taking a cue from the old Contender .50 barrels and they'll have that step in the barrel? The fact that it's limited to a 200 yard gun make a me think they're using some greatly reduced loads. Hopefully we find something out soon.

We will be producing every part as a Contender replacement item as well as complete receivers and firearms. The new platform will have the model name of SSK-50 to honor the fifty years of continuous Contender production. In addition to handgun and carbine configurations, we have also patented a unique muzzleloader that will hopefully be through ATF review this winter. “This is not your Dad’s muzzleloader!”

Pretty sure a Contender has a max .990 barrel OD at the breach. That is fine for common sub loads and real black. IIRC that is about the size of a Knight DISC breach too. The Encore is 1" and the Apex was 1.1". The CVA Scouts and Hunters are also 1". I guess it would be easy enough to enlarge the barrel channel in the frame for the ML barrels. That would effectively make it a ML only frame.

A standard Contender barrel in 45/70 really should not exceed around 32kpsi. You can get under that with SML sabot loads but you got no wiggle room for an error. My favorite sabot load in my Savage makes right at 32kpsi. Its barrel is just barely over an inch.

You can gain a bit more strength using a better steel than 4140 such as milspec 4150, LW19, 4340 or Lothars LW50 in SS. Few vendors offer those steels for their barrels other than for stuff like ARs. Machining cost goes up and so does price. LW19 is the normal steel Lothar uses for its chromoly barrels. Its similar to 4340 IIRC. Pretty good stuff too if you dont mind a CM barrel. They might work well with a nitride treatment.

I guess I hadn’t thought about them making a ML only version but that would make sense. Like you said, going from .990 to 1” really wouldn’t be much of a jump at all. It sounds like they’re looking at GM and Douglas barrels so not sure how much choice they have in steel. I’m sure they have a plan or wouldn’t be putting it out on the market. I just don’t know what that plan is.

The Douglas CM seems pretty tough but NULA had issues with light contour SS Douglas blanks. He quit offering it as an option in the NULA 50s.

I think GMB offers some blanks in 4150 but im not sure if its only limited to M16/AR15/M4 ect.

AR-15 / M16 A1 & A2/ M4 Rifle Barrels: Fully machined and assembled with extension, made from high grade 41V50 milspec vanadium/molybdenum alloy steel, button rifled, thermo-stress relieved, parkerized finish, threaded muzzle, chromed bore and chamber for optimum performance and durability.

I assume it’s only available for the AR/M16 platforms, but if it’s a big enough order I’d imagine they’d make it in whatever platform you want.

Maybe, just maybe grouse will weigh in soon.

I assume it’s only available for the AR/M16 platforms, but if it’s a big enough order I’d imagine they’d make it in whatever platform you want.

Maybe, just maybe grouse will weigh in soon.

I got the ok from Dave, YES the new ML i am helping with is an upgraded Contender when done. But theres things being done to it that are in the patent stages that i just cant talk about and its what really makes this gun safe clean and simple. When this project is done there will be barrels made for Encore platform owners im almost positive in 50cal. But the 45 new name/contender will be sold as a complete gun.

As far as silencers and whatever else was mentioned im not interested in for hunting and not on this ML at all.

When this project is done there will be barrels made for Encore platform owners im almost positive in 50cal. But the 45 new name/contender will be sold as a complete gun.

I'll throw a few questions out there and see if you can answer any of them. Hopefully you can now.

Sold as a complete gun, yes. Does that mean it will not be able to take advantage of the interchangeable barrels? And if not, will it need to go through an FFL or will it be a muzzleloader only like the Encore FX so I'll be able to order direct? I have a Contender frame or two still so it's not the end of the world if it's for a dedicated ML but always nice to be able to have one more frame just in case.

If there's changes to the frame or barrel assembly to make it smokeless safe will standard Contender stock and forends work still? If not can you say what finishes it will be available in?

Is this a 209 ignition?

Any update from ATF when they'll be done with it and when it might be available?

Steel adds weight but a ton of safety if a barrel cuts loose. There are loads of alloy frame break action MLs but nearly no steel frame ML only break actions.

I vote for steel. This gun is going to be light anyway. A little extra weight for the added safety benefit would be well worth it if you ask me.

Hoping for a nitride/melonite treated stainless steel frame and barrel.

Latest posts

Back