NEW MCGOWEN 40 CAL.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvilorio1

Reaction score
Well guys after waiting almost 8 month for the barrel to get done, and a few hitches here and there, she is finally here. I got her yesterday and threw her together last night. The stock that you see in the pic is not the one that she actually end up in, I just took it off one of my 45 cal. and put the action in it. The wait was well worth it. This is a .400x.408, and the bullets have to knurled up a bit. Took her out today to sight in which I probably have to again as soon as I get the other stock, but any way she shot great. Still have to work on some of the knurling specially the Barnes so I can get them a bit tighter, but the SST's shot great. needless to say I'm happy. I' still working on some loads since I want to get her to about 2800 FPS Here are some stats.   
MCGOWEN/REM 40 CAL.
DNZ MOUNT
LEUPOLD VX-R 4X12X40 CDS FIREDOT
SST'S 200 GR.
BARNES 195 GR.
CEB 240 GR.
10/50 CHARGE OF 4759/10X (BY WEIGHT)
VELOCITY 2720
36 CAL. WOOL WAD
FED 209 A PRIMERS
100 YRDS SIGHT IN.
 First shot at 100 yrds was high as you can see, I move the scope down and right, the next group was to the right of bull,adjusted left and went a bit to far that is the one by itself on the left side of the bull, I adjusted back right and she was dead center three shot. The bottom right were the Barnes, and the bottom left were the CEB's. Still need a bit of tweaking, but I'm happy.
Carlos
NEW40CALREMPAC080_zps109234ef.jpg

NEW40CALREMPAC079_zps3307de9f.jpg

NEW40CALREMPAC078_zpsb4c50369.jpg

NEW40CALREMPAC077_zpsf66fa834.jpg

CEB?? I don't know what that is.
Whatever it is, it looks like your gun likes them a lot .. better than the Barnes.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: 

That's a beauty of a rifle and great shooting as usual. That rifle turned into a real tack driver. Good luck with it. :shooter: 

Ray........... :thumbs up:

Carlos, Is that a 700ML action?
Also, what is the second front sling attachment for? A bipod?

a1smokepole said:
Witch CEB bullet are you shooting
Those are the ones that no one could get them to group. They are 240 gr. CEB's .400. If you look at the pic they are the ones on the left bottom.
Carlos
get-attachment.aspx

patocazador said:
Carlos, Is that a 700ML action?
Also, what is the second front sling attachment for? A bipod?
Yes, the gun was built on a 700 ML action, the second stud is for a bipod.
Carlos

EndeavorShooter said:
Love it! When you get bored with it, shoot me a pm.. :lol:
I would sell a 45 cal. before a 40 cal. I just got spoiled by the 40 cal., no recoil and they are devastating on game.
Carlos

One of these day, one of your smokeless guns is going to be sold to me!

Those are the ones that no one could get them to group. They are 240 gr. CEB's .400. If you look at the pic they are the ones on the left bottom.
That photo did not show on my puter. What is a CEB bullet?

fisher1 said:
That photo did not show on my puter. What is a CEB bullet?
It is a CUTTING EDGE BULLET.
Carlos

cvilorio said:
GregK said:
One of these day, one of your smokeless guns is going to be sold to me!
Well Greg when you are ready this one has your name on it. :twisted:  :twisted:
Carlos
Enlarge this image
THIRDMCGOWEN009_zps62fd92c3.jpg
There's my baby :)You'll have to let me know how much at some point. You can just email me.

cvilorio said:
a1smokepole said:
Witch CEB bullet are you shooting
Carlos
get-attachment.aspx
That site shows no 240gr .400 bullet

Latest posts

Back