New QRBP for Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even with the bad experience, I would buy another TC. I bought the Wolf because it was cheap, and was surprised it shot so well.

I was just kind of surprised that after you got the Accura straightened out, you sold it. I sold the TC, because I didn't get it straightened out, and TC had no cure. Plus, they weren't available anymore for months, because of the move to S&W. That's what I was told at the time anyway. No CS could be worse than not being there for months. It was the last straw for me.

I'll hunt the Wolf this year, and probably upgrade to something better next year. I'm not sure what yet.

Colorado said:
Even with the bad experience, I would buy another TC. I bought the Wolf because it was cheap, and was surprised it shot so well.

I was just kind of surprised that after you got the Accura straightened out, you sold it. I sold the TC, because I didn't get it straightened out, and TC had no cure. Plus, they weren't available anymore for months, because of the move to S&W. That's what I was told at the time anyway. No CS could be worse than not being there for months. It was the last straw for me.

I'll hunt the Wolf this year, and probably upgrade to something better next year. I'm not sure what yet.
You would buy another tc but it was the last straw for you? My thing is that Im not willing to take the chance again. In your case you say it was a design flaw so i can understand maybe taking longer but mine was a clip that fell out and it took over a month. I dont want to take the chance with them if it was something serious.

chaded said:
Colorado said:

You would buy another tc but it was the last straw for you? My thing is that Im not willing to take the chance again. In your case you say it was a design flaw so i can understand maybe taking longer but mine was a clip that fell out and it took over a month. I dont want to take the chance with them if it was something serious.
It was the last straw for that gun. Not TC.

It probably took a month because they were probably busy.

Anyway, you made your decision.

Tony said:
Pete, which T/C did u own?
It was an Omega. The only inline TC i've owned. I do/did have a few sidelocks and one CF. They were all good guns. I have no problem with TC, or CVA even though I did sell my Optima and Accura V2.

Not to be rude, but to get this back on track (maybe I missed something). Has anyone shot with the new breech plug? Any changes in shot placement?

BTW, I got mine ( after a mixup got fixed) and was disappointed in the craftsmanship. The QRBP has a very rough finish. Looks like they skipped some steps in finishing to get them out in a hurry.

Colorado said:
Tony said:
It was an Omega. The only inline TC i've owned. I do/did have a few sidelocks and one CF. They were all good guns. I have no problem with TC, or CVA even though I did sell my Optima and Accura V2.
What ended up being wrong with the omega? and Hardcorp i havnt shot my plug yet but i think im going to use it with my bergara encore barrel because it will fit.

chaded said:
Colorado said:
Tony said:
What ended up being wrong with the omega? and Hardcorp i havnt shot my plug yet but i think im going to use it with my bergara encore barrel because it will fit.

I'm headed out the door for some scouting. I'll tell when I get back. It may be a long post.

I just went out and shot the new breech plug. It did great with 100gr BH209, CCI mag primers, and 270 platinum PB. The first two shots were touching and 1 inch above the bulls eye, just where I want it at 100 yrds.

Then I switched to the 300 gr Hornady FPB, 100gr BH209. Things went to hell. 3 shots all missed the paper and were about 12 inches apart! I let my buddy shoot a few and same thing, all over the place. No consistency, I mean ALL over the place.

So what made this happen? Does my gun just hate the FPB?

I really want to hunt with Hornady or the Thor because of the bad reputation of Power Belts.

What should I do?

Also I should mention I had to back out the firing pin bushing to .018" from .016" to prevent blowback with the new plug.

Maybe try different charges, increase some or decrease some im not sure. Your gun may not like them but i would think you could get them a little closer.

I never had much luck with the FPB's. It seems to be a finicky bullet. Your gun loves them, or hates them. All my guns hated them.

I wouldn't worry about the PB Platinum. It has a harder coating that penetrates better than the copper PB's. I've never read of a bad performance from the Platinum bullets. It's always been the Aerotips.

Colorado, I appreciate your advice. I know you said you blasted into a tree with one. I was very pleased with the groups I was getting. I am just nervous about the bullet fragmenting. I will feed my family with the meat from an animal I harvest with this and I dont want to get any lead contamination from an exploding bullet. It one thing with my .300 win mag. Those rounds usually retain the weight well, at least I assume since they have always gone clean through.

Chaded, I thought about varying the load some. Thanks.

I want to try the Thor. Now I am a little wary because it has the same basic design as the FPB.

I guess I should research the Platinum a little more before I discount it. It sure has been consistent so far.

The difference with the Thor is it's an all copper bullet made by Barnes. It retains almost 100% on impact.

The FPB is a copper jacketed lead bullet.

You didn't mention Thor before. I highly recommend it. It's a very stable, accurate bullet that has perfect expansion and penetration. It actually works better than the CF Barnes bullets.

Well I just finished cleaning the new breechplug. Sort of I guess. I could not get the recessed cup completely clean so it is soaking in hoppes now. What a pain in the ass. The brushes wont get it, so I used about 50 Qtips. Still has some residue.

Why did I get this new plug? I dont think I am going to use it again unless I have a problem with the stock plug. I guess CVA just needed to get another 25 bucks from me.

I never had a problem with mine but i had adjusted my headspace correctly and used a CCIM primer which i think probably helped. I bought mine because it seemed like there was a lot of people that had hang or misfires so i wanted to be safe. Now that the I still kept my plug even thought i got rid of the V2 because it will fit the bergara barrel i got for the Pro Hunter.

FPB i had horrible luck with, but the traditions fullbore i had great luck with, go figure!

The Thor will be the best out of the other conicals offered today. They run roughly $20 after your 10% discount that you get through us, so that puts them price range of the FPB And the Powerbelts, only you get a bullet thats 1000 times better in performance on game.

I'd order some .500" 300gr Thors and try 90-100 and 110gr and see how tha V2 does.

I still have to do more testing wit hthe 250's in the V2 and so thats why i offered the load advice on the 300's instead.

10% discount through you? Do I mention your name when ordering, or do I order through you?

Back