Newbie from Central Florida

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi y'all. I have an older Hawkins rifle that I used to shoot when I was younger but stopped. Now I don't think that rifle is usable in its current condition. I was young and stupid so I did not take care of it. I bought a new in-line but plan to try to shoot lower loads and still use patch and ball. I am keeping it with the open sights to see if my eyes will work like they used to. The new rifle will be here soon and I am trying to gather all the other things I will need. Many things are hard to find and trying my patience, lol. I look forward to reading a lot of your knowledge and thanks in advance for all of that.

Hi y'all. I have an older Hawkins rifle that I used to shoot when I was younger but stopped. Now I don't think that rifle is usable in its current condition. I was young and stupid so I did not take care of it. I bought a new in-line but plan to try to shoot lower loads and still use patch and ball. I am keeping it with the open sights to see if my eyes will work like they used to. The new rifle will be here soon and I am trying to gather all the other things I will need. Many things are hard to find and trying my patience, lol. I look forward to reading a lot of your knowledge and thanks in advance for all of that.
Welcome to the group from north central Fl.
I'm sure you'll find all the help & answers you're looking for in here.
What kind & cal of inline did you buy? And you're planning to shoot patched round ball in your new inline.....is that what you stated?

LOL. I know that using patched ball in an in-line is a sin to most in-liners but from what I have read and videos I have watched online, it can be done. More experimenting than anything right now.

Welcome! Your rifling might be a little “fast” and “shallow” for best PRB shooting, but should launch them out the end just fine. 😎
Thanks. From what I have gathered, I have to lower the amount of powder to decrease the speed otherwise the ball will move too fast and blow right past the rifling. The perfect scenario is a ball moving slower than a sabot or powerbelt but still with enough speed to do the job. We will see. :)

Latest posts

Back