Non-ML deer rifles?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawtoothscream said:
Idaholewis said:
sawtoothscream said:
Does the eliminator take the place of hoppes as well? Can just use that for the whole job?

Bore Tech Eliminator will do it all :yeah: I have been using it for years now, i could not imagine going back to the Harsh Barnes CR-10, or Sweets after using this BT Eliminator, Like i previously stated, BT Eliminator does EVERYTHING the Harsh Ammonia cleaners do, But it Doesn’t Stink doing it! It actually has a Pleasant smell. And to top it off, BT Eliminator is Safe and Recommended to leave in the Bore, You would NOT want to do that with the Harsh Ammonia Cleaners like Sweets and Barnes CR-10

I'll give it a shot, not stinking up the house with hoppes will be worth a little more.

Use the synthetic Hoppe's.

It is the Hoppes Sweets 7.62 Copper Remover that has the EXTREME HARSH Smell, Exact Same as Barnes CR-10, They are No different than a Whiff of Janitorial Strength Ammonia, will take your Breath away! :shock: Boretech Eliminator does the Same thing as these other 2, But has NO Harsh smell. I think Regular Ole Hoppes Smells good, Tho I don’t use it, there is no need for it in my Cleaning Routine.

Idaholewis said:
It is the Hoppes Sweets 7.62 Copper Remover that has the EXTREME HARSH Smell, Exact Same as Barnes CR-10, They are No different than a Whiff of Janitorial Strength Ammonia, will take your Breath away! :shock: Boretech Eliminator does the Same thing as these other 2, But has NO Harsh smell. I think Regular Ole Hoppes Smells good, Tho I don’t use it, there is no need for it in my Cleaning Routine.

I think you're being gentle when it comes to "take your breath away". :wink: I use Montana Extreme copper remover in my CF's and it'll almost put you on the floor. I like the smell of Hoppe's but the wife DOES NOT. The synthetic keeps it a happy home. Now the copper remover, that's done in another building.

ENCORE50A said:
Idaholewis said:

I think you're being gentle when it comes to "take your breath away". :wink: I use Montana Extreme copper remover in my CF's and it'll almost put you on the floor. I like the smell of Hoppe's but the wife DOES NOT. The synthetic keeps it a happy home. Now the copper remover, that's done in another building.

:lol: :lol: Yep that stuff is BRUTAL!! Montana Extreme is some Good products :yeah: I use their Bore polishing compound in my Muzzleloaders (similiar to JB Bore paste) I caught it on Closeout at a Local North 40, i bought every Tube of it they Had, a Lifetime Supply :yeah:

Yes that Savage was a new friend back in July. Just wasn't meant to be though.Didn't blood the 7600, but I've developed an INTENSE appreciation for just how practical a rifle it is. She now has a very nice 4x Redfield Tracker SE on board. She throws 3 130 gr Barnes TTSXs into an inch, give or take, at 100. Great rifle.
However. True to form, Herself ( my 10 year old Black Diamond 50 XR) got the job done this year. 2 down in our October muzzleloader season.
The old girl tolerates my flirting with breechloaders, but then she shows me why she's my best girl.

I have several CF rifles and calibers to choose from, but the one I use the most is my Rem 700 in 7mm-08 topped with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope. Worked well this past season for me as usual.

60e597c64aac971050274dd98c6b66a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a DANDY Buck!! Congrats on him :yeah:

I shoot also shoot a 7MM-08, I killed my Buck with it this year. I have 3 Favorite Centerfire Rifles, My absolute favorite is probably My Rem 700 .308 SPS Varmint, 26” Bull Barrel with Bix’N Andy Ball Bearing trigger, that Rifle shoots AMAZING with my Reloads. I also have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Boyds Pro Varmint Stock, I really like it as well :yeah:

Winchester mod 70 in 30-06 not the most powerful round, but it does a good job on deer

You CANNOT go wrong with a Tikka. I have one in .270 WSM and it's a tack driver with 150 grain Berger VLD's and RE 19 powder. It did quite well with factory loads too.

My go to non ML rifle is my Savage 30-06. Stainless, fluted barrel, and a nice walnut stock. It's for the hunts when I don't want to mess with a ML and just go sit in the stand. And it's really hard to go wrong with a 30-06. May not be the latest greatest wiz bang super magnum but it just flat out works and always will.

I've been carrying a Remington 760 chambered in. 30-06 since I started hunting in 1980. I still use that rifle for tracking in snow and crawling through swamps and laurel tangles for deer and black bear. No reason to ever switch from the odd 6!

Currently packing a Savage 25-06. I have used my dad's military sportorized Springfield 03-A3 with much success. This rifle and his military career is somewhat of a mistery. But after seeing him shoot some light is shed. My buddy called it the magic gun. I digress. Even though the 06 served me well the smaller calibers had more bang flops. The Springfield was a coyote slayer! No big holes to fix.

6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 Winchester, .35 Remington, and .358 WSSM that all have to take turns. :)

Old Woodmaster model 141 pump in 35 rem.
Remington Mountain Rifle in 280 Rem.
Winchester Model 70 in 257 Roberts (special Cabela's edition, rec'd as a gift)
Browning Lever in 257 Roberts

I use 30-06, 300 WSM and 45-70. My 30-06 the other half of a switch barrel Savage .458 sml so has become a hangar queen over the last few years.

Always a 30-06 until now, took the plunge on a Savage Axis II in 6.5 CM.
I've had the 742, 7400, Axis, even an 1917 Enfield. I like the Fusion 165gr, stop n drop every deer shot. I hope the 6.5 is as effective, I have a few hayfield bucks teasing me @ 300 - 400 yards, I look at my '06 and think, yea, it can if I could. Not worth risking a wounded animal. Just get a 6.5 CM and practice.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I also bought a Taurus. It shoots those bullet thingies.

Back