NorthFork Bullets for Smokeless Poles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Deer Man

Reaction score
I noticed that there is not a great variety of .458 bullets available. Dan at SMI told me that he prefers 458 to 452 with his smokeless MLs.

I was wondering if any of you folks have tried North Fork bullets is their smokeless poles?

The do make a deadly bullet and real accurate as well. I'm speaking of course about centerfire rounds. They have a nice variety of 458's.
350 gr Flat point, and 350,400,450's in a Semi-Spitzer bullet.

Opinions about you might think they would perform would also be great.

Thanks Guys!

They look cool but a bit heavy...I'l like a 300 grain .458----Dan is correct in that both my smokeless guns shoot .458's very well.

I plan on putting one in a brown bear come spring time, however it will be of .35 caliber.
I considered them a while back for the Savage and was told due to the multiple cannelure surface they didn't have enough bearing surface and "might slip" in the sabot. I don't have any .45 cal centerfires (yet!) so I didn't want to spring for the heavy price tag on the NF bullets. I spoke with the owner of NF and he sent me a few blemished bullets to try but I haven't gotten around to it yet... They look like a great bullet. Nugbuk is shooting them out of his .376 Steyr Scout Gun with good range results.

I'm going to try a fewof the 350's to see how they shoot.

VenisonEater, I started hunting NJ last year. I live in NY near the sussex & passaic county borders. Wow! Hunting deer for 6 months! Gotta love it!

Cool!! I hunt in Orange Co. NY around Goshen and have a small lease not too far from the Sussex airport... If you want to split a box of those NF bullets give a holler. I could meet you up that way any time...

I hunt in the same area. I hunt in Florida NY (next to Goshen) and around that area.

I see more deer in this area that I ever did upstate. ...and I actually saw some nice bucks!

I'll split a box of those North Fork Bullets. I want to call to see if they will sell an assorted box so I can get some testing.

Let me know,
Johnny

Good idea! I know a guy who works in Chester near the UPS depot and he is always telling me about bucks up on that hill behind that industrial park...

The 300 Northfork is a great idea, the 350s may be to long to stabilize...I have been shortening Barnes X bullets for over 10 years. I make .411 300 grainers into 240s, to shoot in my pistol. When I cut .200 off the base of the bullet, I can load .2s more IMR 4198 into my case!
Barnes-Jig.jpg

I can mill 5 at a time with this jig, but I don't have one for a .458, darn!

240-X.jpg

The cut off .411s.......vellosity is about 2320 on the 240grain.

Hope this gives you some ideas, the Northforks look like great bullets!

You might have to make your own 300s out of some 350s!

Latest posts

Back