Not satisfied ramblings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glambert

Reaction score
I got out of muzzleloading and casting around 2006. I returned a year ago ang bought couple guns and molds. I haven’t shot any since but today tried casting. I have an old 20# Lee that was full of pure since 05 or so. Got mold ready and tried casting. Outside casting, I think wind kept the mold too cool. I didn’t get any perfect bullets but kept 15 that I thought were ok.

At one point I was ready to get rid of all of it and stick with center fire. The wrinkles and poor bullets kill the enjoyment. I don’t remember about the flow, but I don’t think the streamof lead was enough to quickly fill out the mold.
On another note, I do have about 1500 old 460g new bullets. They were sized and lubed, but the lube has shrunk. The blue die faded out. Thinking of melting them down if I ever get good bullets.

Like others have said, follow Idaholewis videos on Youtube. You'll be casting perfect bullets in no time. The biggest problem is to get your lead up to around 775-800 degrees and your mold hot. Your wrinkled bullets will go away and you'll get more fill out in your mold. I like others like to weigh our bullets and have them separated by weight. I strive to have all my bullets like others within .5 grain each. Others are happy to get them to weigh within 1 grain. It all depends on what you are striving for. I like to strive to obtain the best accuracy possible and to do that consistency plays a big part.

But watch Idaholewis videos, you'll be amazed how much you will learn, not only in casting but how to clean and maintain your sidelocks as well.

I weigh all bullets, cast from no excuse, old whites and commercial. Mark and group them. I'm happy with 1 gr. Do the same thing the same way every time. Muscle memory. The main variable factor is the human.
PS I vacuum pack/seal everything I don't want to gather dirt, scent, containments or water. Rucksack, car, shooting bag.

Last edited:
Back