Omega Differences

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of life's mysteries,enjoy it they are fine muzzleloaders
A friend got drawn for an elk tag in New Mexico . 5-day Muzzleloader hunt and hard to get draw. so I went to be his Outfitter and guide. Told him to buy an Omega. Shooting 300 grain Hornady xtps with 150 grains of powder we're shooting 3 inch groups at 230 yards. Only need 30 yards came right to us

Attachments

• 20121010_185630.jpg
    20121010_185630.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
The Z5 had a powder coated, I'm guessing, aluminum triggerguard, breech mechanism attached by bolts instead of welds and the firing pin assembly could be removed from the rear of the block. HUGE improvement! To me it was...
Fine rifle. The Omegas were the best of the 209 primed rifles. T/C made a HUGE mistake when they dropped it.

The Z5 had a powder coated, I'm guessing, aluminum triggerguard, breech mechanism attached by bolts instead of welds and the firing pin assembly could be removed from the rear of the block. HUGE improvement! To me it was...
Fine rifle. The Omegas were the best of the 209 primed rifles. T/C made a HUGE mistake when they dropped it.
When I get home I'll take it apart and look. Never paid much attention. Also going to pull a tape on the barrel again. I know they are tack drivers. I agree I have no idea why they discontinued them. I think they lacked in their marketing effort to distinguish themselves from the knights and the cheap Italian junk of the day.

A friend got drawn for an elk tag in New Mexico . 5-day Muzzleloader hunt and hard to get draw. so I went to be his Outfitter and guide. Told him to buy an Omega. Shooting 300 grain Hornady xtps with 150 grains of powder we're shooting 3 inch groups at 230 yards. Only need 30 yards came right to us
NIce, congrats. 30yds, how friggin cool is that!

There is actually not a lot of variation in the Omega lines, particularly with regard to the barrel/actions. Blued, stainless or Weathershield (avoid the Weathershield imo). Standard 28" barrel or shortened (X7 or Dream Season, both fluted and the X7 being the shorter of the two). That's about it. Some older barrels had a faster twist, and there are a few .45 cals out there. But my guess is +90% of the barrels out there are 28" .50 cal.

Stock options - laminated (regular or thumbhole) or synthetic (regular or thumbhole). The X7 only came in laminated, the Dream Season only in synthetic with "FlexTech stock with energy burners to reduce felt recoil" (a gimmick imo). Boyds now makes laminated stocks which I hear are pretty decent. The X7 and Dream Season barrels can only fit the stocks made for them.

The most significant thing I would look for in getting a used Omega is to look for a barreled action that has welded lugs which you will find in older Omegas. When the Z5 was introduced it was a "budget" Omega. To save money, T/C opted for lugs that used hex screws to attach them to the barrel. Soon, they started to use the hex screw on all their Omegas, including the X7 and Dream Season. In short, they suck. They get loose and cause accuracy issues. On my X7 it has been a constant battle to keep them tight. I finally started to use Loctite RED (263) and the screws seem to be staying tight. So if you can inspect before you buy, take off the stock and check the lugs. Welded are better.

Thimbles appear to be in the correct position to be a 28" barrel. And that looks like the older version rear sight.
When I get off this tug in three or four weeks I'll measure again. Still have yet to see Factory laminated stock on a factory blue barrel.

I had a factory laminate stock on a blued omega. Sold it to a forum member so I cant post a pic of it. But there were some made for sure .
Interesting. And all of these years it's the only one I've ever seen or even heard of.
I had a factory laminate stock on a blued omega. Sold it to a forum member so I cant post a pic of it. But there were some made for sure .

I'm kinda suspicious that someone at the factory didn't simply put a Z5 in the wrong box labeled for the X7. For logistics reason the boxes other than different labeling being identical? Thoughts? Possible?

I'm kinda suspicious that someone at the factory didn't simply put a Z5 in the wrong box labeled for the X7. For logistics reason the boxes other than different labeling being identical? Thoughts? Possible?
Z5 and X7 mfg didn't overlap. Z5 Omegas were the end of the road for the model and took up a position as an entry level ML I've owned between 40 and 50 Omegas, most of which I parted out. I've seen lots of different barrel/stock combos. but you never know who has switched what with what.

Latest posts

Back