Omega models?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the difference between the original Omega, the X7 model and the Z5? This might have come up before so bear with me if so. Just wondering as I have a Z5 coming soon. Thanks!!

The Omega line was introduced in 2002 and discontinued in about 2013. The standard line of Omegas featured a 28” barrel and weighed about 7 lbs.

The Omega x7 “King of the Mountain” carbine was introduced in 2006 and only produced for a year or two. It had a partially-fluted and tapered 24” barrel and nominally weighed a pound less than the standard Omega. I have two and they are my favorite model of the Omega!

Here’s a few screenshots of the archived product pages.

12995A81-D9F2-46C4-86DA-ECF008094144.jpegD16B5478-4024-4A76-9BDC-D90FB8B6A4DC.jpeg485CE4B3-C164-45DE-9874-6B9FB021E2BB.jpegAC994597-2843-4E24-A6E1-2DC33FB33CA7.jpeg

Last edited:
As far as the Z5 models vs the standard Omegas - the Z5 is the “budget” model with a few minor fit/finish differences and different sights I believe. But functionally the same. Maybe someone else has more to add.

Anybody else besides Ron tried the sub base with conicals? Can they be reused? Best load advice?
I have plenty of 300 gr XTP and lead bullets to try, just finding time is the big thing.

I believe the Z5 had a coating not a real stainless barrel - I could be wrong. ??

I have an SS X7 Omega and a SS Dream Season Omega... both are awesome! Sold my original SS omega to my buddy. Omega's are great rifles, simple design, and shoot great. Probably the best model TC ever produced, and they quit making them. LOL 🤦‍♂️

Catching up on the weathershield it is a coating over a blued barrel. There are alot of mixed reviews, some love it, some don't. Guess I'm about to find out for myself.
I'm into keeping my gun's clean and taken care of so not a big deal!

I have both a blued Omega Z5 and a Weathershield Omega Z5, so they made them in both. Not sure about stainless.

As far as the Z5 models vs the standard Omegas - the Z5 is the “budget” model with a few minor fit/finish differences and different sights I believe. But functionally the same. Maybe someone else has more to add.
There is certainly a "budget" model but certainly a lot of Z5's are higher end. Laminate stocks and camo composite and some thumb hole stocks like one I have. They can also have fluted stainless barrels.

There is certainly a "budget" model but certainly a lot of Z5's are higher end. Laminate stocks and camo composite and some thumb hole stocks like one I have. They can also have fluted stainless barrels.

Perhaps if a special edition of some kind but the standard production Z5s were all entry-level blued or weathershield with plastic stocks, to my knowledge. Let’s see a pic of yours! Would be the first I’ve seen.

I believe the z5s that are in laminate stocks or camo were done afterwords. To my knowledge they all came with black composite, many have then upgraded their stocks . I myself am looking for a laminate or even a camo stock .

Retailers special order base models to their specs all the time. Ive seen numerous "Sportsmans" exclusive models with features you could not buy from other vendors. So it is possible there are other Z5 variants out there.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/9392180...-50-Cal-THUMBHOLE-CAMO-STOCK-Original-Box.htm
Factory box with description so they were offered.
ZWlpmFd.png

Last edited:
Retailers special order base models to their specs all the time. Ive seen numerous "Sportsmans" exclusive models with features you could not buy from other vendors. So it is possible there are other Z5 variants out there.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/9392180...-50-Cal-THUMBHOLE-CAMO-STOCK-Original-Box.htm
Factory box with description so they were offered.
ZWlpmFd.png

No doubt. A quick review of archived TC Arms web pages from 2002 to 2013 reveals numerous “dealer exclusive” models. Looks like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks, Fox Ridge Outfitters and others all had special editions TC muzzys. So any combo is possible I suppose.

I believe the z5s that are in laminate stocks or camo were done afterwords. To my knowledge they all came with black composite, many have then upgraded their stocks . I myself am looking for a laminate or even a camo stock .

Early "blued" Z5 were actually blued later models were painted. All of the Z5's with the "Weathershield" barrel are also painted. As for furniture, I have seen plain blk, thole black, camo, thole camo. I have never seen one with a laminate stock unless it was added but that doesn't mean that it wasn't offered. IMO, quality on the Z5's was questionable. I have bought new ones that had severe machining chatter marks in the bore, cross threaded lug screws, warped stocks. These are my observations and I have had many, many Omegas

Does anyone know the difference in the z5 with stainless action vs the z5 with blued action . Or just another version of the z5 .

I have seen no difference except for the obvious. The only thing is that TC placed the stainless actions with their "blued"(blued/painted) barrels and the blued actions with their Weathershield (gray) barrels, but once again there may be exceptions.

Back