Omega very hard to load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiffwindpsr

Reaction score
Hey guys,I'm new here although I've been shooting smokepoles for 15 yrs.I just got a black/blued omega and it's a bear to load even with a clean barrel.After one shot it's almost impossible to load a follow up in the woods.I'm shooting 2 777 pellets 777 primers and I've tried 240gr pr's,250 shockwaves black & yellow,and 220 barnes expanders.They're all equally hard to load.Crud ring is awful after 1 shot.Is this normal?My remington ml loads much easier with hardly any crud ring.Will this get better over time?Any suggestions?

For the crud ring I'd use the 25 ACP conversion from PR bullets. Swab between shots too.

As to loading, try MMP's 3 petal EZ sabot.

http://mmpsabots.com/

It's midway down the second table.
3Petal-EZ
50 X 451/452

Good luck using Tripple Seven in your Omega. Some will shoot that crap but some will not. Mine is one of the ones that will not shoot it even with the .25ACP conversion. Swab between shots with mine only works if you use a brass brush. A wet swab just does not take the crud ring out. I tried all three breechplugs and every primer I could round up trying to use 777 and finally gave up and settled with Black Mag'3. Of course it is not available again probably until after the first of the year. I would try some American Pioneer or Pinnacle or just go back to Pyrodex which does work well in my Omega just a little dirty.

Thanks for the tips.I always shot regular pyro pellets in my rem ml. I guess that's the difference.This is my first go round w/777 and while it is cleaner and no sulpher smell I've never seen the crud ring until I used the 777.Is loose 777 any better or should I look to another brand altogether?I've heard good and bad on the pioneer powder.I'm not against shooting loose powder,I'm just not set up for it right now.I shot a buck yesterday afternoon and literally could not get the second bullet to touch the powder.I had to take a hammer to the ramrod to unload last night.I think I got a 49 caliber instead of a 50!

I have not used the pellets but do use 777 ffg loose in my knight mk 85. I still get a small crude ring when loading 95 grains. It was more prominant when I was at 100 grains. I bought a heavy duty cleaning rod and swab between shots. I am getting really good groups using a 250 grain shockwave. My friend has the omega and uses two 777 pellets and 777 primers. He also swabs between shots. He has taken a few kentucky deer using 250 grain shockwave. I have shot a fla. buck and a boar with my MK 85 this year and both dropped in there tracks.

Have not used the pellets in my omega either.....i do use loose 777 an after 3 shots i get alittle crud ring which are easily swabbed out.i shoot the tc 250 superglide shockwaves which are alittle easier to load.

Try the crushed rib harvesters they work in my Omega . They make it much easier to load , the other thing you may try is to use J-B's bore (shine) cleaning compound on the barrel , it will smooth out the inside of your barrel .
Charlie

I just got the same one in September and had the same problem when I started. This is what I have found that works:

If you want to shoot the Barnes TMZ bullets, buy them in the Knight package with the EZ Load Sabot. If you want to shoot the Hornady SST then buy them with the Low Drag sabot or buy the TC Shock Wave with the Super Glide sabot. If you don't buy the bullets with the EZ load sabots then you will just end up spending more money to get the right sabot so you can load the bullet.

If you want to use the bulk pistol bullets, I found the MMP HPH-24 sabots work good and are easy to load. The MMP 3-Petal sabot is very very easy to load. I was able to use the HPH-24 sabot for my first shot with a clean barrel and then shoot 3 more rounds with the 3-Petal sabot without cleaning between shots. I have also tried the Harvester Crush Rib sabot and found them easier to load than a standard sabot but slightly harder than the MMP HPH-24 sabot.

Good luck and I hope you find something your gun likes to throw.

Thanks for all the tips guys.I'm gonna keep messing with it til I find something that shoots good,loads fairly easy,and is accurate.I think I'll try the barnes ez load sabots next.

Latest posts

Back