Optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should maybe contact CVA to see if there is a maximum bullet weight for the pistol before larding up on heavy bullets. And honestly, I think you'll be shooting the 250's in no time after a couple big brutes.

Should maybe contact CVA to see if there is a maximum bullet weight for the pistol before larding up on heavy bullets. And honestly, I think you'll be shooting the 250's in no time after a couple big brutes.

The entire purpose of sending the Optima V2 pistol to DOC White is to get an evaluation from someone that has already shot big, heavy, .50 caliber, grease groove bullets out of an inline handgun.

More than anything, I want an ergonomic pistol grip without the finger grooves. If DOC White can also install the forearm with it's stubby hand grip like he designed for the Javelina pistols that White Muzzleloading sold (approx. 50), than I end up with a far more controllable, steadier, easier to aim pistol. And, as far as I am concerned, that should be a huge plus.

The GrovTec Push Button sling swivel bases mount completely flush, so that nothing protrudes. If this all works out, and DOC can restock the pistol in laminated wood (looks to be 60-40 in my favor as of now), then I figure that I will end up with a far stronger set of stocks that will probably add about 8-10 ounces to the overall weight.

The other thing that will add tremendous versatility to the pistol, if it is restocked, is the addition of the Spartan Classic Gunsmith Adapter.

I don't know how familiar most forum members are with Spartan Precision Equipment. Their line of UK bipods, tripods, and trekking poles are remarkably lightweight, although pricey.

Although it would be an investment equal to double the pistols retail cost; a Javelin Pro Hunter bipod with several sets of leg extensions would allow a shooter the options of a supported rest from a prone, sitting, and standing position. The sitting and standing positions would mimic seated and offhand cross-sticks shooting.

Even if all I get to do is jump up to a 325 grain bullet, that would be a big advantage, IMO.

If the Optima could be equiped with grips like Ruger Super Redhawk or S&W X frame revolvers, I dont see any reason the Optima could be easily fired with any heavy load mentioned here. No new design needed, copy what works. I have no idea how to make the happen. It would sure take this platform to the next level.

As far as the max bullet weight for the Optima V2 pistol is concerned, CVA says............

Up to 300 grain bullets in a sabot

Up to 400 grain bullets in a lead conical

This is where my ignorance regarding inlines comes into play. I always thought that the plastic in a sabot had a lower coefficient of friction, than the lubricated lead of a grease groove bullet.

I was hoping if the chance to hunt feral hogs, or elk ever came about, then pushing a 450-500 grain bullet down range might come in handy.

But, I can live with a max weight of 400 grains. It just irritates me that a whole slew of No Excuses saboted bullets are to be tossed aside as unusable because of the 300 grain sabot restriction.

If the Optima could be equiped with grips like Ruger Super Redhawk or S&W X frame revolvers, I dont see any reason the Optima could be easily fired with any heavy load mentioned here. No new design needed, copy what works. I have no idea how to make the happen. It would sure take this platform to the next level.

Most definitely!!@

Poor stock design, along with hard, unresiliant, plastic is probably what killed this pistols sales.

How many shooters that you know aren't going to try to shoot big lead out of a pistol that LOOKS SO DARN BEEFY AND STRONG.

Like Mr. Tom, and many others online, have reported, it only takes a few shots with 275-300 grain bullets, and 75-90 grains by volume of Blackhorn209, to severely bruise one's hand.

Piss poor design. You see it again and again in all types of industries.

Engineers, designers, and architects that never test their designs all the way out to the limits where the using public will push their product.

In the case of this pistol they either didn't test it with heavy bullets in an extended range session; or they did, realized it was going to bruise the hell out a shooter's hand, and decided not to redesign the stocks.

Maybe they had a vested interest in seeing the pistol shot only with light weight bullets in sabots. Perhaps, they thought it would keep warranty repairs, and replacements minimized.

Ruger and S&W have very good grips on those big revolvers. Hard plastic is not forgiving for the shooter. With the Optima we are lucky if they even sell them. I wont complain about the grips. On the other and, I am a little sorry to get the preview on recoil. Lighter bullets maybe fine.
Like MrTom, I shoot the 225 gr Barnes XPB but with a harvester crush rib sabot and 90 gr of BH209 by volume. I use the .429 version of the bullet. Recoil is very manageable and no worse than any 44 mag pistol I've ever shot. Of course, heavier bullets will give more recoil. Tried a 300 gr xtp with 90 gr of bh209 a few times. It was pretty stout. Ive found bullets in the 200-250 gr weight seem to be the best mix of performance with tolerable recoil.

That 225 Barnes XPB in the .44 cal pill pushed with the 63 grain weighed charge of 209 powder [90 grains by volume] will take care of anything I plan to hunt in Minnesota. I wouldn't be afraid to plunk and elk with it inside of 50 yards either. I'll be clear too, that the handles that come with this pistol are not uncomfortable for me. Its that hard jolt with heavy loads in the 300 grain bullet range. I don't think any grip with alleviate that. I converted a couple factory plugs to shoot the 209 powder with vent liners and that's as much tinkering as I will do with mine. It shoots deadly accurate at 50 yards and is very manageable recoil wise with the 225 grain load, shoots super clean so I'll leave well enough alone. I see absolutely no benefit to horsing a 400 grain lead or any bullet in the 300 grain range with the gun whatever, but to each his own. If I want some un-necessary recoil I'll just slip a 510 grain round in the .458 Safari grade and let it rip one-handed.

Bruce, these pistols were designed to be chucking big lead. When they were developed I'm sure sabot loaders were the target shooter base. I don't care what kind of handles on the gun one might have big lead will be uncomfortable with a heavy powder charge. There's no design flaw in the guns as they come. Simply because they are 100 grain of powder [volume] capable certainly doesn't imply that they need to be loaded thusly to perform very nicely. I've shot a lot of todays heavy magnum handguns and those with the fancy grips don't do much as far as making the recoil any more comfortable. And I don't give a rip who one is that thinks they're going to shoot one of the CVA guns with a scope one handed accurately so the fancy grips are just that, fancy. The Optima pistols are supposed to be a well-rounded hunting handgun and the design and over-all functionality of the guns makes them just that. Loaded with hunting loads and bullets the guns and recoil are very manageable.... there are hundreds of Optima pistol owners who will attest to that. That said, I don't know one of them that has trotted out with a box of 400 grain leads to either just shoot of hunt. Why would they? 400 grain bullets aren't needed to take a decent sized big game animal since ethical shots are generally going to under 100 yards.

I currently own a V2 model Optima Pistol and have owned one of the original pistols. Never have I thought there was any design issues with the grips. The bottom line is that heavily loaded with a powder charge of 90 [volume] and a 33 grain XTP you're going to get some significant recoil and the grips that come with the guns manage it just fine. I'm will to be you'll be saying similar things when you start chucking those 400 grain pills with fancy handles too.

Bruce, these pistols were designed to be chucking big lead. When they were developed I'm sure sabot loaders were the target shooter base. I don't care what kind of handles on the gun one might have big lead will be uncomfortable with a heavy powder charge. There's no design flaw in the guns as they come. Simply because they are 100 grain of powder [volume] capable certainly doesn't imply that they need to be loaded thusly to perform very nicely. I've shot a lot of todays heavy magnum handguns and those with the fancy grips don't do much as far as making the recoil any more comfortable. And I don't give a rip who one is that thinks they're going to shoot one of the CVA guns with a scope one handed accurately so the fancy grips are just that, fancy. The Optima pistols are supposed to be a well-rounded hunting handgun and the design and over-all functionality of the guns makes them just that. Loaded with hunting loads and bullets the guns and recoil are very manageable.... there are hundreds of Optima pistol owners who will attest to that. That said, I don't know one of them that has trotted out with a box of 400 grain leads to either just shoot of hunt. Why would they? 400 grain bullets aren't needed to take a decent sized big game animal since ethical shots are generally going to under 100 yards.

I currently own a V2 model Optima Pistol and have owned one of the original pistols. Never have I thought there was any design issues with the grips. The bottom line is that heavily loaded with a powder charge of 90 [volume] and a 33 grain XTP you're going to get some significant recoil and the grips that come with the guns manage it just fine. I'm will to be you'll be saying similar things when you start chucking those 400 grain pills with fancy handles too.

Mr. Tom,
I surely appreciate your input vis-a-vis the Optima V2 pistol.

Everything you have posted is in all likelihood true, but I'm a hard-headed kind of guy that needs to learn his own lessons.

I suspect that when the dust settles I will be shooting 200 grain bullets for everyday practice to keep my skills up; and no more than a 325 grain bullet for hunting.

MY PRIMARY REASON for the two-handed Javelina stocks is to mitigate any recoil that might be transfered rearwards to my right shoulder. Which is why I am going to have installed a LR Customs, MZ-REX 2 muzzle brake as well.

It was after several phone conversations with DOC White that I decided to have the Javelina stock's created, and installed. His personal experiences in creating the prototypes, and the subsequent run of 50 Javelina pistols; convinced me of the effectiveness of the design in controlling recoil, as well as stabilizing the pistol for sighting.

Will the mods that I am making perform as well as I hope? Time will tell.

Thanks for your input, as well as everyone else's. That's what this forum is about.

Bruce

Just received mine today. muzzle-loader.com has them in stock. Ordered mine about 60 days ago and they received a shipment from CVA last week. They ordered 600 . Looking forward to building up a load and deciding whether to use scope or red dot sight. Your thoughts and best load selection.

I shoot a 225 grain Barnes XPB bullet in a green crush rib sabot over 63 weighed grains of BH209 powder. At 50 yards its very close to a one-holer with 5 shots.

I ordered mine and it is due in a couple days. I was perusing the website and it said 'backorder'.

I am surprised. I was suggesting a friend get one. Even considering getting a 2nd for a carbine idea. Not too serious, but; you know - thinking.
Is it me? Did I mess up or are they really sold out?

CVA Optima V2 pistol, black & stainless steel, are currently IN STOCK at muzzle-loaders.com for $298.00 as of 12:45 PM, EDT, on July 17, 2020.

If a person wants one and muzzle-loaders says they have them, I'd call in the order and indicate that a back-order was not in the plan when the web-site says they have them in stock.

Back