Optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2-50 grain 777 pellets behind a 250 shockwave. The finish is Brownell's Alumahyde, which I sprayed. Nothing special.

They have been taking orders and say they will be delivered in April. Not sure of current effect of corona 19

I have ordered one which is on back order. i have no reason to believe Muzzle-loaders.com would take my order in bad faith. So, it may not have been discontinued, just restricted in numbers by CVA. Hope that’s the case. They are not offering back orders on the camo so production of it may have been discontinued.

CVA will occasionally make a run of a rifle for a vendor. They made some Apex rifles and 45/70 barrels after they officially quit producing them. They have made stuff for Sportmans Guide or Warehouse before in the past too. So its quite possible they would make some pistols for ML.com.

I still think I need one of these... The backorder is tempting. If they did offer the camo one as backorder that would be enough to push me over the edge and I would jump on the list.

I have a 2X7X40 Leapers with an electronic reticle [that I don't power up]. Clear, great in lower light situations. Stays sighted where its supposed to be even with the heavy recoil the gun can develop.

Bob, just be sure to buy a pistol scope, for the extra long eye relief.

I have a 2X7X40 Leapers with an electronic reticle [that I don't power up]. Clear, great in lower light situations. Stays sighted where its supposed to be even with the heavy recoil the gun can develop.
Thanks for the recommendation. Had the Leapers UTG on my short list.

The Leapers I mentioned does have the long eye relief. At about $125.00 coming with super heavy duty rings it is a great scope. I shot this gun with a 325 grain bullet/sabot and a 90 grain by volume charge of 209 powder with this scope on it. Actually I shot 10 rounds at one sitting. Palm was bruised big time but the scope stayed where it was supposed to. Another fella made a comment comparing a heavy load in this gun to a 500 S/W, I think was the gun, and said the recoil in the revolver was equal to or even less than the Optima pistol. I've shot 454 Casul, 460 and 480 and none compared to the recoil in this gun with the 325/90 grain charge. All are heavy recoilers. But this Leapers stood up to the Optima nicely. I think you'd be happy with one.

Ruger and S&W have very good grips on those big revolvers. Hard plastic is not forgiving for the shooter. With the Optima we are lucky if they even sell them. I wont complain about the grips. On the other and, I am a little sorry to get the preview on recoil. Lighter bullets maybe fine.

I hunt mine with a 225 grain XPB Barnes. 63 weighed grains of BH209, green sabot. Very tolerable recoil with this load.

I’m seriously considering at least trying the 200 grain .430 XTP. Hornaday actually listing it as a deer hunting bullet.

Latest posts

Back