Optima vs Accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bowhunter

Reaction score
I’ve considering abandoning my triumph and getting another smoke pole. I’ve read the specs but was wondering what the experts opinions are between these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Optima vs Accura

I like my Accura but I traded into the gun real well and would have likely gone with the Optima had I needed to purchase the gun. I have an Optima pistol and love everything about the action and trigger out of the box. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either if you're not wanting to spend a thousand dollars or to toss heavy lead at long ranges. For general hunting they are both very affordable and delivery excellent accuracy using easily obtained sabots and bullets.

Both are easily adapted to using the new BH209 powder by purchasing the appropriate breech plug.....which I strongly recommend. Sorry but I cannot recommend and of the pellet powders or the powerbelt bullets that CVA tries to run down your throat. Harvester sabots are found at Cabelas and on-line at several locations to get you shooting great groups using Hornady XTP bullets in either .44 or .45 caliber. Using the powder, sabots and bullets I just mentioned all three of my CVA long guns shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards and the pistol shoots a 1" group at 50 yards. All are scoped. 110 grains of powder [77 grains weighed] by volume in any or the three long guns, 2 using .44 cal 300 grain bullets and one using a .40 caliber 200 grain pill while 90 grains by volume [63 grains weighed] in the pistol pushes a 240 grain .44 caliber bullet.

Deer killers each one and I shoot inside 100 yards on game animals. Optima? Accura? Take your pick. Both are generally out-of-the-box shooters.

I have the Optima and it shoots very good. It just depends on how important the extra bells and whistles on the Accura are to you. If cost is a concern spending the same amount on both guns scoped would allow for a better scope on the Optima.

I have both in Thumbhole stock versions. The Optima handles a bit better and I use it for ground hunting. The Accura shoots about .25" better @ 100 yards and I use it for my Tree Stand gun.

Latest posts

Back