Paramount Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwh723

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
I got a chance to check it out in person yesterday. The guys CVA has doing the marketing seemed nice enough, but were pretty challenged if you asked them a technical question that was more than is that a muzzle loader and what end of the barrel does the powder go in. When I asked how long the BP was I was told 5/8". So I guess it's a 5/8x??TPI plug. No idea on length. I was also told that the video showing smoke coming out of breech when firing was a prototype gun and not done by them--right...... o_O

The bolt doesn't extract the module. You either have to pull it out with your finger or use a tool. I saw one of their extractor tools laying on the table, so I would plan on needing to use a tool to remove fired module.

Overall, gun looks really sharp. Bolt timing is perfect. So for conversions extraction will not be an issue like it is on some 700's.

I thought the self-head spacing bolt head was innovative until I realized it doesn't actually extract the module. I have some ideas for making a replacement for upgrading to my gen2 LRMP system. So it should be a no-machine type upgrade. Will need to get my hands on one and tear it down before I can say for sure.

Overall, I would say Remington's 700UML is trouble. The ignition systems are about a wash. Ergonomically the stock on the CVA is much nicer than the UML, and of course, the 45cal is a big upgrade.

As far as smokeless conversions go, it should a great option. However, the stock has a very narrow forend (great for the ergonomics as is), but I don't think a 5" tennon is going to fit it.

Thank You!

In fairness, that video with them shooting it was filmed in June 2018, or before. A teaser from it was shown in the leak thread posted here, until they yanked the video after only a few hours.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/cva-leaked-the-new-paramount-muzzleloader.32165/

However, Dudley and one of his Smiths/Techs was also sitting at that bench with John Zent from American Rifleman as well. Notice the late spring/early summer foliage in the video.

I'm sure the rifle, as well as the bullet were both prototypes, being that early in the year? 7+ months ago. The final bullet has straight flutes on the bearing surface, a different profile on the ogive and tip.

Thanks again for your report, it is very encouraging. I figured and stated many times that if someone was going to tackle the ignition system, it would likely be you.

I would be happy to shoot 209 primers, but would probably want a new bolt face with -0.003"ish headspace in my chosen primer.

Lookin' good!

Last edited:
CVA is going all out for 2019. They even have a new centerfire bolt action rifle. Only 3 calibers (6.5 creedmoore,7-08,308) but great short action deer rounds. Judging by CVA and Begara rifles it’s probably a pretty good shooter for under 500 bucks.

CVA is going all out for 2019. They even have a new centerfire bolt action rifle. Only 3 calibers (6.5 creedmoore,7-08,308) but great short action deer rounds. Judging by CVA and Begara rifles it’s probably a pretty good shooter for under 500 bucks.

Yeah, didn't know anything about the three new Cascade rifles until yesterday when I stumbled across them looking for something else. Those 3 short actions this year, then more with long actions next year.

Thanks for your review. I can't help but wonder who will be the first person to get one and start working it out. I'm real curious to see real world results with bullets other than the Powerbelt.

What are the flutes for ? Will it somehow stiffen the soft lead of the powerbelt ? I have been told power belts are copper washed not a copper jacket ? Not even sure that is correct. I think it is kinda cool that Power Belts are making a bullet with a better BC but i still do not think they will be up to par with a Parker Emax or Pittman Accumax.

But... A person will be able to buy a better Power Belt at a whole range of outlet stores.

But... A person will be able to buy a better Power Belt at a whole range of outlet stores.

No kidding. Around here if one finds pellets on the shelves, power belts are hanging right above them....sort of synonymous with one another. If one has deep pockets the powerbelts do make good range fodder.

The new PowerBelt bullet does not have flutes. I also removed the blue base and stuck it into the bore - the bullet felt about 0.001” undersized to the bore.
The bullet has a lead core.
Also, the stated BC of 0.452 is a little stretch - imo. Time will tell.
The veriflane adaptor is Cecil Epps parent - so I assume that’s where the BC was determined.
The entire stock has an AL frame - that’s probably where the weight come from as the action, bbl etc look like any other CF.
I invited them again to Friendship- this time they indicated they would attend. That would be good.

Last edited:
well George, you need to come watch CVA at Friendship in June , not knocking the rifle just wonder why a manufacture can't build factory rifle the way it should be , not only talking about CVA, shouldn't have to do anything to it or any other manufactured rifle to get it to shoot. I'm not the so called greastest shot but have one the Nationals once with Inline. It is not wether it wins as long as it performs as stated. Don't know who the expert is but if they get them to Friendship good more than rest of us have done

well George, you need to come watch CVA at Friendship in June , not knocking the rifle just wonder why a manufacture can't build factory rifle the way it should be , not only talking about CVA, shouldn't have to do anything to it or any other manufactured rifle to get it to shoot. I'm not the so called greastest shot but have one the Nationals once with Inline. It is not wether it wins as long as it performs as stated. Don't know who the expert is but if they get them to Friendship good more than rest of us have done

Bob, if I were to show up at Friendship, I'd be bringing my own rifle and shooting instead of watching. ;)
It would be great if someone with one of the new Paramount rifles would show up to shoot your match in May. It would be good exposure.
Yes its to bad just about every rifle by every manufacturer needs something to make it shoot better. However that also keeps a lot of guys creating new stuff to make them better.

they are creating a new long range match and you will be able to use about any rifle you want , up to 14 or so pounds , should come about before year is over. That is about all i know as they have committee doing it.

they are creating a new long range match and you will be able to use about any rifle you want , up to 14 or so pounds , should come about before year is over. That is about all i know as they have committee doing it.
That would be good. I no longer have the BP Xpress.

Bob, if I were to show up at Friendship, I'd be bringing my own rifle and shooting instead of watching. ;)
It would be great if someone with one of the new Paramount rifles would show up to shoot your match in May. It would be good exposure.
Yes its to bad just about every rifle by every manufacturer needs something to make it shoot better. However that also keeps a lot of guys creating new stuff to make them better.

Woodman Arms manufactures a muzzleloader which needs nothing to perform as stated. Currently the only model is the Patriot which is a light weight carbine. This was designed for tracking deer up here in the Northeast. It wasn't designed for shooting over 300 yards with massive loads. These are production rifles and every one is a tack driver as we guarantee it. With off the shelf stuff these will shoot sub moa groups. We are working on another production version which is designed for long range shooting, in the 10 lb range scoped. It features a longer barrel as well. Anything we build is top quality and not done custom per customer, its available to everyone.

Very few rifles are nearly perfect right out of the gate. Closest thing ive seen is probably the early Omegas with the welded lug. Repairing that buttstock looked like a minor nightmare to me due to the bolt not being readily accessible. It made adjusting head space look trivial by comparison.

The Paramount will have its own growing pains im sure. There are plenty of us out here that will come up with ideas to improve it if the base rifle is worth it.

The entire stock has an AL frame - that’s probably where the weight come from as the action, bbl etc look like any other CF

BERGARA B-14 HMR BPR-20 HMR PRO REMINGTON 700 MINICHASSIS STOCK BA0003 NEW - Description: BERGARA HMR STOCK TACTICAL GRAY WITH BLACK FLECK MSRP:$449.99 Fits BERGARA B14, BPR PREMIER SERIES(2018 & Newer) and Remington 700 Footprint Barreled Short Actions.

image508247-1b777dc532168b0ad16849f494c3cd8b.jpg

Latest posts

Back