Paramount Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get why you say that? If the all copper Thor shoots good why wouldn't a copper Powerbelt shoot good too?

Because a Thor has a metal skirt to engage the rifling. Trying to get a solid copper to "bump up" into the rifling is a little bit of a challenge. The actual bullet OD to land size is critical and a fast pressure spike helps immensely. Ive had virtually no luck doing it with BH209.

Even a Thor has problems in some barrels that are large land to land. The actual bearing surface OD of the bullet is too small for some bores.

Because a Thor has a metal skirt to engage the rifling. Trying to get a solid copper to "bump up" into the rifling is a little bit of a challenge. The actual bullet OD to land size is critical and a fast pressure spike helps immensely. Ive had virtually no luck doing it with BH209.

Even a Thor has problems in some barrels that are large land to land. The actual bearing surface OD of the bullet is too small for some bores.

Yes, but a copper Powerbelt would still have the plastic skirt or it wouldn't be a Powerbelt anymore.

The skirt on a PB is only a seal. It wont impart rotation to the bullet. A PB is also soft lead. Huge difference compared to how a Thor works.

It could be done but would require exact sizing and lots of frustration. Lehigh had some "conical" prototypes. They used oversized bands like a REAL. That might work with the skirt.
Lehigh%20Protypes.jpg

Last edited:
GM54-120 pretty much summed up my concerns of shooting a solid copper powerbelt.

It will be interesting to see what the land to land averages in the Paramount. Im guessing .451

The new PB is a lead and copper clad from all ive seen.

It will be interesting to see what the land to land averages in the Paramount. Im guessing .451

The new PB is a lead and copper clad from all ive seen.

Scott, I can figure out how a solid copper PowerBelt could/would work in any ML - unless of course you sized it to your bore, which again I can not imagine PowerBelt (CVA) even want your to do. So in my mind for the bullet to operate it would need to obturate the bore. So I am guessing the copper is a thin layer encasing a soft lead. The 'Fluting' - seems to me that could actually help the bullet by decreasing drag and increasing BC. which is to often the driving factor in choosing a bullet.

Just throwing this out there??????

All Powerbelt bullets to date are plated bullets, not jacketed. I have no idea whether the new Powerbelt Paramount bullet is plated or jacketed but with the fluted body, I would guess it is likely plated.

Is there appoint at which weighing makes a difference? Maybe but I reload for 6 different calibers so I have the equipment, I decided to test that question, I shot several times under different conditions and the groups on paper @ 100 yards were almost identical and the hits on a 6 inch gong at 250 were both 4 out of 5. So where is the point at which it makes a noticeable difference?

The new PB bullet looked to be nearly identical to the Parker.

Overall, gun looks really sharp. Bolt timing is perfect. So for conversions extraction will not be an issue like it is on some 700's.

Overall, I would say Remington's 700UML is trouble. The ignition systems are about a wash. Ergonomically the stock on the CVA is much nicer than the UML, and of course, the 45cal is a big upgrade.

The video says that it uses a Mod 700 Short action.

The action has a Rem700 SA foot print but its a Bergara B14 action more or less. Enough changes were made so it would be very hard to convert to a CF. Locking lugs are totally different than the B14 CF.

Action and scope mount hole spacing is the same. Triggers will interchange such as a TriggerTech for a Rem700 will fit it. Stocks can be swapped with pretty minimal modification. Recoil lug is different on a B14.

B14 bolt. If you look back in the other thread there is a pic of the Paramount bolt.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/cva-leaked-the-new-paramount-muzzleloader.32165/page-6
Bolt-Parts-1.jpg

The action has a Rem700 SA foot print but its a Bergara B14 action more or less. Enough changes were made so it would be very hard to convert to a CF. Locking lugs are totally different than the B14 CF.

Action and scope mount hole spacing is the same. Triggers will interchange such as a TriggerTech for a Rem700 will fit it. Stocks can be swapped with pretty minimal modification. Recoil lug is different on a B14.

B14 bolt. If you look back in the other thread there is a pic of the Paramount bolt.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/cva-leaked-the-new-paramount-muzzleloader.32165/page-6
Bolt-Parts-1.jpg
The video said 700, but it obviously was not a true 700, as GM says. Possibly closer to the Rem 40x action, that we used in small bore, in the 60s and 70s.

How close are these actions to a Savage model 110? Because on the CVA website it says the new Cascade centerfire rifles take Savage model110 scope bases.

Never mind I just seen the video on the gun. Wonder why the muzzeloader is a Remington 700 and the new centerfire rifles take Savage scope bases. Weird!

CVA and Bergara used the Rem foot print for aftermarket support which was a superb idea. The bolt itself though is totally unique in the Paramount. Using the Rem scope base foot print just made it easy and offers tons of options. Pretty much the same thing many other custom action builders did. Its pretty common for them to utilize Rem700 bases, stocks and triggers.

I'm happy for CVA. They've been getting a bad rap for years about how all they ever do is copy others. While it may not be perfect, they went all out this year and came out with something of their own and incorporated some new ideas. If it were more of a hunting rifle I think I would seriously consider one.

Well the Paramount is not the only 45cal 1-22 they brought out this year either. The Accura LR 45 is about half the price. Its just a shame they went with a 30" barrel. Its gunna end up over 8lbs also before even adding a scope. Havent seen a review on it yet with any hard data but it should be launching the new PB at 2100fps+ using Westerns max load.

When guys who shoot sabotless get these its gunna be interesting to see what kinda fps they get out of the Paramount with bullets like the 275-300gr BE. 200gr sabot loads should easily be in the 2400fps range. Probably get close to that with bullets around 225gr also. Thats about what i got when testing some really hot BH209 loads in my Pacnor 45 1-22.

Back