patch lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubby

Reaction score
i was wondering what you guys used for patch lube,i use a spit patch in summer & bear grease for hunting :D

That sounds like it would work fine.

I have used about everything under the sun.

Moosemilk currently made both with natural ingredents and with cutting oil. Both work fine.

Mink Oil - worked pretty good.

Ballistol Oil - worked good but stunk!

Bore butter - worked ok as a patch lube

Spit -

liquid Wrench - worked pretty good

rendered bear lard - worked real good

olive oil- worked good

Like I said, I have tried a lot of different items

I prefer mink oil when hunting, but have been experimenting with other things. I started out with Crisco!

As of late, I'm trying olive oil, palm oil, and combinations of those mixed with each other and/or mink oil. I have water soluable oil and want to revisit that at some point in time.

I've used Lehigh Valley Lube (byproduct of pulp wood industry) which, IIRC, is now Shenandoah Valley Lube, Hoppes #9+, Bore Butter, Natural Lube 1000.

Lots of things work, but may require a bit of load adjustment. My preference is to NOT put anything into the barrel that will freeze or dry out, so is why I'm experimenting. Too, I prefer to shhot without wiping between shots, so prefer lubes that combine with fouling to keep it soft.

:D

I've been using OX-YOKE Originals. They are pre-lubed with WONDER LUBE 1000 PLUS. :yeah:

Ray............. :wink:

i have used a few different ones listed above.
plus i have just wiped my forehead with the patch and reloaded for a fast second shot.

Back