Pellet powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have noticed where a lot of guys use pellets over loose powder.I saw a study one time where it says that pellets weigh in at 50 grains per pellet.Well a guy took a box of pellets and weighed them one by one.His conclusion was that the pellets all weighed in different.As low as 38 grains to high of 48 grains per pellet.Has any one else did a study on this?

Since a pellet requires some type of “adhesive" to hold the powder together, I would think they wouldn’t burn as fast as regular loose powder.

I have never used pellets in any of my muzzys.I started out with pyroexRS then graduated to bh209 about 5 years ago.I was just curious about the steady that was done on the pellets.

I use Pyrodex pellets; for me they are definitely easier to reload when it’s freezing out (most of the NE states I hunt have late ML seasons). In my TC Omega‘s two 50 gr pellets are almost as accurate as 100 gr loose powder, and more than accurate enough for hunting. The Pyrodex pellet weight has also been very consistent, provided the pellets have not been cracked, chipped, etc.

My Accura V2 is used for deer hunting and I have always used 2 pellets of T7 with the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullet. The V2 is very accurate for me out to 100 to 125 yards using this combo which I find easy to use/load. I have never tried loose powder although one of my sons swears by BH209.

Since a pellet requires some type of “adhesive" to hold the powder together, I would think they wouldn’t burn as fast as regular loose powder.

With the right ignition source, T7 pellets burn extremely fast with higher pressures that any BP or BP sub and in certain rifles are VERY accurate.

I'm a huge fan of pelleted powder especially the T7s. I started shooting muzz about a year ago and have always for the most part performed pretty well using powder pellets. Groups are good 50-150 out. It didn't take long before i started trying other makes of pelleted powders however T7s have remained my favorites.

Also to add I've gone with different primers and really like the Kleanbores. I shoot 100 grains of T7 pellet with a 245 grain HPPB and a magnum load of 150 grains behind a PB 295 pure lead and/or 338 grain PB plats. all feel great with amazing consistency and punch with 3/4 to 1" groups 50-150 out.

The pellets are great when re-loading in the cold.

For several years i used two Pyrodex pellets interchangeably with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. My CVA inline put bullets from both in the same group at 75-100 yards.

I'm a huge fan of pelleted powder especially the T7s. I started shooting muzz about a year ago and have always for the most part performed pretty well using powder pellets. Groups are good 50-150 out. It didn't take long before i started trying other makes of pelleted powders however T7s have remained my favorites.
Until you try loose black in different 2F/3F/1 1/2 F you have no idea (Swiss/OE in particular and BH 209 for subs/Ed

I don’t know anything about the study but I’ve used pellets in the past and they were consistent enough to work just fine. I stopped using them mostly because I wanted to use a lighter charge than 100 grains and the only pellets that were always available locally were the 50 grain ones.

Until you try loose black in different 2F/3F/1 1/2 F you have no idea (Swiss/OE in particular and BH 209 for subs/Ed
You are probably right. However I just found a set up I'm happy with and works for me pretty good. and instead of spending any more time with adjustments and experimenting I think using my efforts and time on recon and scouting is where my hobby and passion has lead me now.

Don't know about studies. I do know I've seen a difference of 5 to 10 grains of pyrodex make a difference in accuracy that I could tell without using a ruler. Last fall I saw a difference I would not have believed. Fifty yards, factory iron sights, 1962 vintage original equipment eyeballs. First group, pictured right, 85 grains Pyrodex RS, by volume. Second group, slight adjustment to the left, and reduced to 80 grains RS.
Bighorn 50yd 80gr RS wad 420gr NE.jpg
Your results may vary. If you're happy with pellets, that's great. Even if they were legal in my state, I would NEVER use them. Easier to use? Easier to just eat Spaghetti-O's, but it's not that hard to boil water to make pasta. It's cold outside? Got a couple extra pre-measured charges in spiffy little plastic containers. Pop the top and poor them down the barrel, pretty much the same as you would with a pellet, I think. No, I see no advantage to pellets. Just a potential horrible limitation.

Last edited:
Don't know about studies. I do know I've seen a difference of 5 to 10 grains of pyrodex make a difference in accuracy that I could tell without using a ruler. Last fall I saw a difference I would not have believed. Fifty yards, factory iron sights, 1962 vintage original equipment eyeballs. First group, pictured right, 85 grains Pyrodex RS, by volume. Second group, slight adjustment to the left, and reduced to 80 grains RS.
View attachment 21932
Your results may vary. If you're happy with pellets, that's great. Even if they were legal in my state, I would NEVER use them. Easier to use? Easier to just eat Spaghetti-O's, but it's not that hard to boil water to make pasta. It's cold outside? Got a couple extra pre-measured charges in spiffy little plastic containers. Pop the top and poor them down the barrel, pretty much the same as you would with a pellet, I think. No, I see no advantage to pellets. Just a potential horrible limitation.
Opinions vary.. And your step by step descriptions are a bit elementary and quite rude.. For that i say goodbye to this forum as i go enjoy my spaghetti-0s in a spiffy little plastic bowl...

I tried BH209 and went back to pellets. Yes, BH is clean burning, but that only helps on the range, not while hunting. You hardly ever need more than one shot.

Some people like them, others don't care for them. What do YOU like? That's what matters. Every powder source has some glitch to it, but if one is something you're able to work with in spite of the glitch use it. Personally, I use T7 on the bench and BH209 in the woods. I have my reasons for using each, but I am not going to try to force what I do on anyone or try to convince anyone that what I do is better. Mrtallz, if you're getting accuracy that you can live with using the pellets you'll do just fine because confidence is a huge factor what comes at the end....enjoyment.

I’m generally a “loose powder” kind of guy, but I have used both Pyrodex and T7 pellets. I have hunted (and harvested deer) with the T7 pellets.

Everyone has different needs, preferences, accuracy standards, etc. As long as performance in chosen loads give acceptable accuracy and performance, folks are welcome to shoot whatever they like.

As an occasional pellet “naysayer,” I had to eat crow after ENCORE50A made the following post (#12 in the thread). Check it out! 😳

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/short-distance-hunting.41612/post-385239

Back