Pellets Vs loose - your preference

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakx

Reaction score
Pellets - 100 x 50gr = 5000 grains for $32
Loose powder 7000 grains for $26

$6 more for 1/3 less the powder.

Is it really worth it?

If you get good accuracy with pellets (meaning you're satisfied) and you are not a full time shooter, pellets can be a good way to go. They are easy to load, easy to remember loads, and if you shoot one box of pellets off a year it is not a big deal. But in my case its not uncommon to go through well over 20 pounds of powder a year. So in my case, its more reasonable for me to shoot. Plus I shoot all kinds of powder, so I am not limited to one powder.

I like loose...

After 2 trips to the pits to try and sight in, I'm switching from loose to pellets. I figure once I succeed in sighting this damn thing in, I'll tinker with the loose powder. Gotta eliminate as many variables as I can at this point before I give up and heave my gun into the bush and buy a cross bow.

It's alot easier for me to hunt with pellets. You dont need to shoot the gun to unload it either. Just pool the breech plug and push bullets and pellets out. Gun is still clean then.

I much rather shoot the loose , besides being cheeper per shot , I can tweek my loads for alot better accuracy to get the best out of the gun bullet combo that is poss.

Ron

Loose powder for me for the same reasons that Cayuga and Lungbuster1 have mentioned. I love to tinker and loose powder gives me another variable/control to work with.

TURBO said:
After 2 trips to the pits to try and sight in, I'm switching from loose to pellets. I figure once I succeed in sighting this damn thing in, I'll tinker with the loose powder. Gotta eliminate as many variables as I can at this point before I give up and heave my gun into the bush and buy a cross bow.

You might have mentioned it Turbo but I forget the make of the rifle you are having trouble with. Make a post about the rifle and the shooting situations you face and perhaps the forum can help you out a little.

Remember, swab between shots for best accuracy. Things as simple as the kind of sabot, even the make of primer can all effect the rifle. And some rifles just plain do not like certain bullets. So make a post and perhaps we can get you shooting the way you want.

cayuga said:
TURBO said:

You might have mentioned it Turbo but I forget the make of the rifle you are having trouble with. Make a post about the rifle and the shooting situations you face and perhaps the forum can help you out a little.

Remember, swab between shots for best accuracy. Things as simple as the kind of sabot, even the make of primer can all effect the rifle. And some rifles just plain do not like certain bullets. So make a post and perhaps we can get you shooting the way you want.

T/C OMEGA, was using T7 ffg loose with 250gr SST, remington kleanbore primer and the provided low drag sabots. Switched out the sabot to MMP hi pressure (from pr bullets) all shots were 1o inches high and stayed there, switched to mmp hph24 and only god knows where the bullets were going so I put an end to those.
Weather was about 28 celsius (82F). Fouling round of 20gr, spit patch, shoot, spit patch, shoot, spit patch shoot, clean gun.. let it sit until cool then repeated the process.

Even with my limited shooting skills I have found that loose powder is more accurate for me but not so much as to make me switch all togethr,they still have a place in my range box.
They work better in my speed loaders but now I have 40 of lanes tubes and plan to pre load loose as well.
I am still going both ways.

I have been using t7 pellets for their ease of handling.
I don't like the accuracy I'm getting with 100 grains and a 295 grain Powerbelt aerotip and will start playing around with charge weights.

50 cal CVA Omega

T7 magnums = 60 grains
50/50 = 50 grains
50/30= 30 grains
by mixing I can get 80-90-100-110 grain loads.
I will continue to use pellets until I get my shot groups where I want.
I am looking at Blackhorn 209 loose for the future as the non-corrosive feature seems like a great feature

Latest posts

Back